Mario Kart Wii

SwordBreaker

You've all known the good news by now I believe. The game will be compatible with all kinds of controls, just like Smash Brothers Brawl. GameCube controllers, baby! 2nd of all, Automatic and manual power slide configuration is now available. For example, in the Wii Wheel's case, putting automatic power slide on means that you do not need to steer in the opposite direction a couple of times when performing power slide boosts. Just like the classic Mario Kart for SNES or the GBA version, all you need is to power slide successfully to get a subsequent boost in speed after. Manual power sliding handles like Double Dash for all those experts who need more speed. Also, weapon handling is more similar to Mario Kart 64 and DS; you can leave them hanging behind you...Double Dash didn't have that.

Some of the courses have been revealed. The new courses look awesome from the screenshots. I'm noticing a lot of bloom lighting. The classic picks that were revealed, however, aren't the greatest ones. They always seem to get the GBA version right, but yet again they've picked the worst courses from MK64 and MKDD. Also, there's talks that some of the original graphics heing retained while having a couple of graphical updates. Sounds interesting...

Online sounds really cool. Lots of statistics and possibilities. Love the fact that up to two players (splitscreen) can go online from the same Wii, but I'm personally wishing for 4-player splitscreen and going online. Really hoping that Nintendo makes this possible. Single player will be much longer than your usual Mario Kart, with 32 courses in total and a "Mission Mode" that's similar to what was in the DS installment.

So far, so good. Can't wait for some more details on the battle mode. It seems that this game is more completed than we all think.

Finally:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30941.html?type=flv

The music behind the Mario Kart Wii trailer is EXCELLENT. It's actually a remix of the typical raceway course music (e.g. Mario's Raceway) present in SUPER MARIO KART SNES. I'm so happy to hear this quality of composition since Mario Kart Double Dash had THE most annoying music ever with all that whistling and shit. The ONLY track which stood out in MKDD was the Rainbow Road remix. Heck, even original music present in Mario Kart DS was annoying (except for the Waluigi Pinball track); its the updated music for the classic tracks which stood out in that game. I'm really hoping that most of the remixes in Mario Kart Wii are the same quality as the one in that trailer. I'm not holding my breath for the original music, however.

I know I seem to be dramatizing the series' soundtrack out of proportion to some of you, but believe it or not classic MK music is dear to my heart, despite the overall quality of composition dwindling by the installment. I haven't played Super Mario Kart in YEARS (along with its GBA 'remake/original' hybrid) and I can still hum most of the music....since I immediately recognized the remix present in the trailer. Same thing with Mario Kart 64, but there are a few forgettable tracks in that installment.

Other than that rant, sweet trailer. Jump mechanics and motorcycles seem to be really interesting additions to the series.

I personally thought that Mario Kart: DD was one of the worst games ever made, so the return of trailing weapons behind you and the elimination of the two characters per kart gimmick leaves me cautiously optimistic. Of course, my two biggest problems with DD aren't things I can observe from watching a trailer like that one. DD had the worst AI I've ever seen in a racing game, combined with the most mediocre track design imaginable. I can't see if either problem has been fixed with the Wii version, so I'll wait until either more is revealed or I play it myself before I get excited. Frankly though, I'm not holding my breath as Nintendo hasn't surprised me with a fun, innovative, and well designed game since the N64 days. I will grant that they've taken steps in the right direction, moving some of their better franchises (Mario in particular) away from the mediocrity that plagued the Gamecube, and back towards the design philosophy that made them fun on the N64, but everything they do seems to be more of the same. Like they're just going through the motions rather than trying to do something unique, or even add to the genres their games are in. Nintendo hasn't really impressed me in a long time, and it will take a lot from this game to make me care in the end.

I find it hilarious too. I mean, controller options, OH MAN.

I used to say the same thing about the DS. The best DS games don't have stylus control though it's highly debatable. I think more developers should treat it like a suped up GBA than this new input interface that's going to radically change gaming as we know it. I feel the same about the Wii but to a less extent. It's nice to have the options though.

Back on topic I don't think i have another Mario Kart left in me. I was down on MK wii until i watched the video and it does look sorta cool. I own pretty much every mario kart game but it just looks like more of the same. I guess if Wii online gets its shit together and my friends buy it I'll probably get it.

i only get that far

that is one of the most ridiculous claims ive ever heard

did it suck? sure

among the worst ever? HA

Let me rephrase since I am given to hyperbole at times (and apparently that doesn't come through that well over the internet); it's one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. Considering the series pedigree, and the fact that Nintendo essentially defined the 3D age in the days of the N64, one can understand that I'd be more than a little annoyed that they unleashed that load onto the world. I will stand by the fact that from a game design standpoint, it's one of the worst executions of a solid concept by a (once) great developer I've ever seen. It's got all of the polish and underlying gameplay of a great game, but the execution was incredibly half-assed.

Double Dash is my favorite, and I've been playing Kart since the month the original Kart came out. It's a great game, it's better than Kart 64 in every way possible. I'd say it's nostalgic bias if you like N64 more.

The only thing wrong with Double Dash was the cheap ass AI that could always catch up with you - But then I went and played it on 64 and it was worse Still, I beat every mode in that game on every difficulty multiple times. Plus, it has the best coop I've ever played outside of fighting games and first person shooters.

Enough of that. The new Kart is going to be great. I just hope Petey Piranha isn't there.

Double Dash is really fun if you get a bunch of friends to race/battle...but a lot of the tracks are really terrible, and the AI is incredibly easy. MK64 got the difficulty just right, I think, and it had cooler tracks. MKDS was a step in the right direction in terms of trackage (I'd say MKDS has my vote for best track design), but the AI was still kind of lacking. As long as MK Wii has awesome tracks, I'll be good. I'd REALLY like to see at least one Galaxy-themed track with cool gravity stuff going on...

Also: SMK remix ftw.

Just like the classic Mario Kart for SNES [...] all you need is to power slide successfully to get a subsequent boost in speed after.

Huh? You couldn't do that in SMK. You could only carry your speed through the corner with the slide.

Also, if online is decent (with or without snaking, doesn't matter to me), then I'll pick this up. I played MKDS for a long time online, but it started getting to the point of just messing around with people by trying to "pace" yourself so other opponents would stand a chance and wouldn't dc after the first race. Although in the last race (if you were leading in total points already), it was hilarious to let everyone get ahead of you, then sit back with blue shells/bullet bills and end up forcing all of them to tie in the final points.

Well, I guess they're all good in a different way. Okay, I'll admit the track design was kinda hit and miss in DD. Well, anyway....

To that question above me - The boost system has been altered to where it charges up automatically during a sharp turn, so, the more you turn, the more boost you have. You must press a button and 'bam', you boost. I really like the idea. This will be a lot better for those non-snakers too. Even I got tired of constantly pressing buttons while trying to tend to the actual track and obstacles within it.

You know, a few weeks ago, I went to work (GameStop) and my boss told me that we were taking reservations for Mario Kart Wii. I reserved it while commenting that it would make a good Christmas gift for myself (April release; yeah, right!). But now with all of this new information coming out, I guess it actually will happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would mean that two major Nintendo games (Mario Galaxy & Mario Kart) would be releasing when they were originally purported to release without months of delays. After Brawl, I'm kind of surprised.

The only thing cooler than Kart and Brawl coming out at the same time would be a lifelike HD remake of the original Mega Man trilogy, and that just ain't gonna happen.

I'm actually kinda happy for Europe getting this earlier. They've been screwed with Brawl, so it's a nice make-up gift.

To that question above me - The boost system has been altered to where it charges up automatically during a sharp turn, so, the more you turn, the more boost you have. You must press a button and 'bam', you boost. I really like the idea. This will be a lot better for those non-snakers too. Even I got tired of constantly pressing buttons while trying to tend to the actual track and obstacles within it.

Sounds like Kirby Air Ride to me.

Double Dash is really fun if you get a bunch of friends to race/battle...but a lot of the tracks are really terrible, and the AI is incredibly easy.

Yeah, I agree. Honestly, I don't know if I ever played the game alone, so I always had fun playing. The AI were just there as filler, since the races were always against the human players.

Anyway, this game should be good...looking forward to it.

Double Dash ... the AI is incredibly easy. MK64 got the difficulty just right, I think

The problem with MK64 AI was that it cheated. If you hit someone with a shell and they weren't in your field of view, there would be no time they spent rolling around after getting hit by the shell, they'd just lose their speed and IMMEDIATELY start accelerating back to it.

Get too far ahead? MK64 comps would get their cars magically upgraded. I could barely beat the AI one round, only to play the same course on the same difficulty again, get a time a full minute faster, and get second place.

With these huge issues apparant due to MK64's comeback AI, I cannot consider it good AI. Comps should be smart, but play by the same rules as the player.

With these huge issues apparant due to MK64's comeback AI, I cannot consider it good AI. Comps should be smart, but play by the same rules as the player.

Good point. I do like the challenge offered by the MK64 AI, but there are times when you just want to punch them in the face. For example, when they get items without even going through a box...

The frequency of which AI players get blue shells in DD was the main complaint I have. You'd get punched in the face with them so frequently you just would come to expect it. And really, that wasn't cool. I just hope they don't do that as much in the Wii version. But otherwise, I had a lot of fun with Double Dash. My roommate and I were awesome at co-op in that one, so I will kinda miss the two-to-a-car thing. Oh well.

In this comparison of Mario Kart games, why is it that no one has brought up the DS version yet? It doesn't suffer from either of those problems (too many blue shells, cheating AI). Plus, it has lots of cool tracks, good racing mechanics, and online play. I actually enjoyed it more than both MK64 and MKDD. Just my two cents.

In this comparison of Mario Kart games, why is it that no one has brought up the DS version yet? It doesn't suffer from either of those problems (too many blue shells, cheating AI). Plus, it has lots of cool tracks, good racing mechanics, and online play. I actually enjoyed it more than both MK64 and MKDD. Just my two cents.

A: Snaking.