Mario Kart Wii

SwordBreaker

Making your boost dependent upon the amount of time you power slide/drift is awesome for me, because that's how I learned to drift in Mario Kart DS. I could hold onto a power slide for several seconds with some effort, and I routinely took entire sections of courses that way. Sure, I may not have always come in first, but I managed to hold my own against a few snakers.

So, now will I be called cheap?

I'm really skeptical about this Mario Kart Wii, simply because after the DS installation, how can they improve? I guess what I'm really afraid of is that it won't be AS good as MKDS meaning they'll leave things out or change things in MKDS. From what I hear it sounds a little more of the same with the addition of bikes and stunts and the removal of powerdrifting (no!). But I also think one of my main worries is that it's coming out ONLY a month after Brawl, meaning I'm afraid of how much work was put into it. I mean, they focused a lot of attention on Brawl, how much attention during that time was focused on MKWii? Hope it turns out great though.

I'm really skeptical about this Mario Kart Wii, simply because after the DS installation, how can they improve? I guess what I'm really afraid of is that it won't be AS good as MKDS meaning they'll leave things out or change things in MKDS. From what I hear it sounds a little more of the same with the addition of bikes and stunts and the removal of powerdrifting (no!). But I also think one of my main worries is that it's coming out ONLY a month after Brawl, meaning I'm afraid of how much work was put into it. I mean, they focused a lot of attention on Brawl, how much attention during that time was focused on MKWii? Hope it turns out great though.

Well it's a different development team than that of Smash Bros so I wouldn't worry too much about how much time was focused on it. The game had been announced to be worked on since a long time ago. Regardless though I'm worried because of the new incentive to attract casual gamers the game will feel way too easy. I also fear it will be like Mario Kart: Double Dash in terms of replay value and quality and that if Brawl is any indication, the online experience won't be that smooth. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong in all these and hopefully the game won't be pushed back...

Online is doomed, if past games are any indication. I've seen legions of complaints against Brawl's lag, and have had the unfortunate experience of nearly unplayable Mario Strikers Charged matches. What made MSC even worse tho, was how I couldn't even get matched up against someone in the first place. I might try for a half-hour straight to connect with someone, only to be met with the same infuriating error message time and time again.

I want to believe that MKW will have a smooth wi-fi framework, but I'm realistically skeptical at this point.

Making your boost dependent upon the amount of time you power slide/drift is awesome for me, because that's how I learned to drift in Mario Kart DS. I could hold onto a power slide for several seconds with some effort, and I routinely took entire sections of courses that way. Sure, I may not have always come in first, but I managed to hold my own against a few snakers.

So, now will I be called cheap?

I just hope the sliding is balanced enough because I can imagine all sorts of abuses for it. As for snaking, against truly great snakers, I never really beat those in MK:DS. Some lousy ones, yes, but not against snakers who can do it for the whole race.

I never really understood the widespread complaining about snaking when like nobody complains about using "advanced moves" in Smash Bros, since they're about equivalent - exploitables. For the record, I snaked in MK:DS, but would usually stop snaking if it was clear my opponent(s) wouldn't/couldn't. I don't lament the loss of being able to do that in MK Wii or anything, but I figure whatever the game if it's there people can feel free to use it, cheap or not (snaking, advanced moves, items, whatever).

For the record, I snaked in MK:DS, but would usually stop snaking if it was clear my opponent(s) wouldn't/couldn't.

That makes you part of that 5% of snakers that weren't assholes, then. The remaining 95% consisted mostly of people that thought they could snake well, and would disconnect when you passed them after they wiped out on the side of the road for the billionth time.

I recently watched a video reel of the battle mode over at IGN and I'm EXTREMELY pumped up now. The new block stage looks very exciting, and I got goosebumps when I saw SNES Battle Stage 4 revived with 3D graphics and remixed music to boot. I'm just a bit disappointed that they chose Cookie Land to represent Mario Kart Double Dash in the game...that has to be one of the stupidest picks ever, Luigi's Mansion or Pipe Plaza are much better stages.

I recently watched a video reel of the battle mode over at IGN and I'm EXTREMELY pumped up now.

I actually posted that video a couple posts up...but anyway it does look like it'll be fun. Up to 12 players racing online and 12 as well for battle mode online. As for the snaking discussion I don't even care much for that since I never relied on it so I never used it. This game has always felt more about fun to me than actual competition. Speaking of apparently battle mode is not free for all. People will be divided into teams of six. I don't know Nintendo's mentality on this...perhaps they don't want to single out one individual as as a loser so they rather people lose in teams?

I never really understood the widespread complaining about snaking when like nobody complains about using "advanced moves" in Smash Bros, since they're about equivalent - exploitables. For the record, I snaked in MK:DS, but would usually stop snaking if it was clear my opponent(s) wouldn't/couldn't. I don't lament the loss of being able to do that in MK Wii or anything, but I figure whatever the game if it's there people can feel free to use it, cheap or not (snaking, advanced moves, items, whatever).

Snaking is beyond exploit in that game. It's just plain cheating. The former Mario Kart games weren't as totally broken as Mario Kart DS was. And like I said before, it's impossible to win against true expert snakers. The chance for victory is almost nil. Casual snaking is still cheap but people who can do it well are untouchable. That, and even if you use all the red shells in the world, it's about impossible to win anyway. Which is exactly opposite of what Mario Kart games should be: accessible and more strategic with the course shortcuts and item usage. Snaking basically canceled all that out. With SSB games, the exploits can't be used throughout the entire match like you can in MK:DS with such dramatic results.

It wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo stays on the curve with everyone else and learns to patch/update the online modes. It's just another example of Nintendo falling behind the times in certain aspects of their games. Namely the online competition.

As for the Wii game itself, it does look like they're going to simplify things. But if cornering is going to constantly open itself for exploits, I'd rather see them try to tone down the cornering aspect a bit instead of giving you a boosts all the time.

Doesn't it seem like there's going to be a crapload of boosting opportunities? Between simpler power-slide boosts, trick boosting, and wheeling boosting from bikes, its gonna be zoom, zoom zoom! I can't decide if that's a good thing or bad thing. It could decrease the importance of good items vs. learning how to boost at every given opportunity. I'm not sure I like that...

I really can't stand Nintendo's (semi-nonexistant) online philosophy. Its far too frustrating for the consumer.

I hate to say it, but so far I have not seen a reason why I should invest in yet another iteration of Mario Kart. From what I've seen so far, nothing really tickles my interest. It just doesn't seem that new/fresh.

Still, Mario Kart and F-zero are 2 of my favourite racing series which in the past have offered a lot hours of fun, but I really do need something more than just motorcycles and stunts.

Also: ugh graphics u_u; Though I guess theres no need for discussion there...

That and the auto-boosts too. The game basically is babying up to the Wii demographic according to Nintendo... which is sad since most of the Mario Kart games were more for the slightly more hardcore type of gamer.

...Are you serious? I think the only game for which this statement is remotely applicable is the DS, and that was only because of OMGOVEREXAGGERATEDSNAKING. I don't think I know anyone who considers Mario Kart remotely "hardcore."

I think Mario Kart can be as hardcore as you want it. It's fun and accessible, yet it takes some skill to get good at it and it can consume lots of your time. Unfortunately, the cheap catch-up AI and the blue shells diminish that "hardcore" value. Man, I'm I the only person who gets tired of the casual / hardcore thing?

I mean, Wario Ware is a "casual" game, but I'll be damned it doesn't take some skill to master it.