Mario Kart Wii

SwordBreaker

ok well a definite positive thing i just played my first online match

a random worldwide match

it shows the mii name and location of everyone youre gonna play OH MAN NOT ANON I MIGHT GO RAPE THEM

it was a 10 player race with most people from japan and a couple from spain

there was absolutely

get this

i am so happy

NO LAG

no stupid button input lag no choppiness NOTHING

no one just appeared in front of me out of nowhere but i guess playing more will verify that and stuff

also you have a rank YAY

its not a win loss rank its a points rank so if you lose you lose points but can just play more and win some and get them back and no one would ever know

How often can you do it effectively though? It takes a good 3+ seconds to get the blue boost going.

yeah its definitely more difficult to do and you cant do it everywhere like you could in mkds but its doable in many places if you have the right kart

also i dont know how effective it actually is yet

and if you hold the direction youre turning and lean into the drift you get the boost a lot faster

also i know ive posted about it already but this online interface is really saving this game for me

i just joined a random race and am now watching the people im playing with in their current race with some nice bgm

also if youre playing with friends and wanna make sure no one is silly and trys to snake make everyone play with the wiimote

its really not all that terrible i just played with it for a little but i wouldnt play AI with it because AI is just stupid and you need to boost as much as you can

also i know ive posted about it already but this online interface is really saving this game for me

i just joined a random race and am now watching the people im playing with in their current race with some nice bgm

also if youre playing with friends and wanna make sure no one is silly and trys to snake make everyone play with the wiimote

its really not all that terrible i just played with it for a little but i wouldnt play AI with it because AI is just stupid and you need to boost as much as you can

Glad to hear the online is good.

So, wait. With the wiimote, you don't have as many boosting opportunities? I was under the impression that you'd have more.

So, you're telling me my worst fears have been realized...? WHAT A FRIGGEN' WASTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me...

*Weeps softly in corner*

*Stops weeping, looks at Atma's post*

there was absolutely

get this

i am so happy

NO LAG

no stupid button input lag no choppiness NOTHING

no one just appeared in front of me out of nowhere but i guess playing more will verify that and stuff

also you have a rank YAY

its not a win loss rank its a points rank so if you lose you lose points but can just play more and win some and get them back and no one would ever know

I've almost forgotten about Battle mode now. Awesome!!!

I only wonder why Brawl couldn't get the same treatment...

rank because sakurai is a dumb dumb and lag because they just screwed it up big time with some programming or something and will never put out what is probably a simple fix to get rid of that lag but nintendo never patches anything so good luck hoping for that

*Stops weeping, looks at Atma's post*

I've almost forgotten about Battle mode now. Awesome!!!

I only wonder why Brawl couldn't get the same treatment...

It's totally different dev teams on smash and kart. I guess whoever's in charge of kart just figured out how to do it right.

While I am glad that someone in the Mario Kart Wii's development team got wi-fi right, I'm still unhappy. I would gladly trade MKWii's wi-fi for Brawl's. Brawl is the game that deserved lag-free wi-fi. I really, really wish Sakurai would have just gotten it right. What was the point of all those agonizing delays if they didn't fix wi-fi?

But oh well, no lag on MKWii still makes me very happy.

Bought it today. First comments?

- Tracks are fun. Most of them are what you would expect after Double Dash and Mario Kart DS

- Character models are butt ugly, but the tracks look nice.

- The level in the mall is my favorite. It really made me smile seeing a poster for cat-food, with my ex-girlfriend's Mii on it. Wario's Goldmine is hilarious.

- Controls take some getting used to. (i've only played it with the steering wheel, which works better then you'd think).

- FORGET automatic sliding. With the automatic option, you can't jump (which seemingly has no point to it), and you can't slideboost. It seems like they were going for something like in the SNES version, but they fucked up. Like the name already says, it's automatic, so you have no control over when you will, or when you won't do it.

In the SNES version, you had to press the shoulder buttons, giving you the option to powerslide or not. But here, you have no choice but to powerslide. And often, the wheel won't respond fast enough, or you're doing it too soon.

- The manual sliding works better after you had some practice with it. Getting the boost is quite hard in the beginning, but it works in the end.

- The POW block is a bitch.

- Speaking of the items, it's horrible. Same as DD. I've been at the first place quite alot, since i've only played at 50 cc so far, but the amount of rubbish thrown your way is rediculous! 2 Blue shells, 2 POW blocks, 1 thunder, 3 red shells came my way in 2 laps. No fucking joke.

- DK's Jungle pass is now DK's Snow pass. Almost exactly thesame, only a snow theme instead of the jungle theme. Same cannon and everything.

- The sense of speed is alright. I don't know about 100 cc or up, since i've only played 50 cc.

- I have no idea how the tricks work. I really must check it in the game-manual.

- The music is really standard stuff. Nothing memorable like the SNES version. More of the same, really.

And that's about it. Haven't touched the multiplayer, since i don't want to lose. I really suck so far...:P

I think the Mii integration you mentioned is really cool, like the poster of the cat food. What else happens with the Miis, and what's so hilarious about Wario mines?

Update on your impressions please.

The game sounds awesome. I'm really tired of the bullshit catch-up AI and item cheapness, but it's a bit of a double edged sword - It provides that trademark Kart insanity.

- The Mii integration is very minimal. They only serve as an in-game audience. They appear on posters, cars, tollbooths, etc. etc.

- However, and i have only read this from the back of the case, you can unlock the mode to play with your own Mii as a driver. I am not sure about how far this goes (maybe only battle mode/single races), but i'll let you know about it when i unlocked it. Hopefully you can use your own Mii as a driver for online. Would be very fun to do that!

- Some of the "new" stages only seem to be altered DD/DS courses. Dry Hills is now Dry Ruins (apart from the part in the actual ruins, they are almost similar), and the new Bowsers castle is almost the same as previous iterations. (Bowser shaped entrance, Bowser shaped fireball cannon).

- Still haven't figured out the tricks.

- Wario mines is basically Indiana Jones minecarts meet Mario Kart. It's a lot of fun though.

- There is a course in the star cup (i think) which is inspired by Fall (as in the season). It is one of the most pretty stages i've seen, and it looks like it was ripped straight out of World of Warcraft. (and that is a compliment).

- Another course in the last cup is basically a mix of DD/DS tracks. The night city course from DD and the one from DS with the clifs (i'm sorry, i just can't remember the names).

- Graphically? They must've learned something from Capcom because everything looks a lot like DD. Same textures, animations, everything.