Mario Kart Wii

SwordBreaker

Nice impressions there. It's too bad that some of the new courses have the same templates as Double Dash. Nonetheless, I'm glad that there are a lot of courses to race in. I'm also sad that there's no special weapons this time around. Makes picking individual characters less unique than in Double Dash.

I've just imported this from the UK. I think I'm going to enjoy this installment, although not as quite as DD because of the disgusting battle mode. Why did they have to screw this up?

- Speaking of the items, it's horrible. Same as DD. I've been at the first place quite alot, since i've only played at 50 cc so far, but the amount of rubbish thrown your way is rediculous! 2 Blue shells, 2 POW blocks, 1 thunder, 3 red shells came my way in 2 laps. No fucking joke.

Now, granted, I'm the one who really loves chaos in his games. I think dealing with the insanity is bloody awesome. ...But there *IS* a limit. Double Dash pushed it, and MKDS broke that limit when the AI was involved. Truthfully, it sounds worse than Double Dash or DS. And that's just gonna piss me off. In Brawl, you can at least avoid most of the stuff thrown your way somehow. Mario Kart has this nasty tendency of giving you the unavoidable business. You can mitigate red shells, but nothing else in that list.

...Who am I kidding, I'm still gonna buy the damn game anyway. -_-

Super Mario Bros 2 has some representation.

-->Birdo is an unlockable, as a Medium weight class character<--

Also, I FOUND a reason to use Automatic. It's a way for incredibly bad players to be incredibly good in certain vehicles. The stats on each vehicle matter a huge amount in this game, and there are some vehicles that are nigh impossible to control on manual because they either

1) Don't swing at all when they drift

2) have such horrible handling that turning normally is a waste of time, you HAVE to drift, period.

There are 2 unlockable vehicles (and some standard ones too) that are extremely bad or unusal if you select Manual but kick so much ass on Automatic:

-->Blue Falcon<-- A light kart that falls under category 2. It has decent acceleration but terrible offroad so skill at controlling the damn thing is paramount to winning with it. But the speed is SO HIGH. I did some time trials as my best medium and heavy bikes (neither of which are unlockable), the Bon Bon for medium and the Wario Bike for heavy. Got some nice times and boosted like crazy. Then I went automatic with this kart and beat those times. It's just too good on Auto for the skill required to use it well on Manual, and I consider myself an great player at this game (all gold trophies in the game and full star ranks through 150cc and half of mirror mode). It even beats the basic staff ghosts, who do drift, ALOT.

-->Magikruiser<-- This is an awesome looking bike --> It looks like you're riding on a Magikoopa, complete with the broom as the exhaust. <-- This one falls under Category 1. Its top speed is lower than the kart above, but the acceleration is really high and it's the best offroad vehicle I've seen in the game. Not as fast, but much more resiliant against the barrage of items and rivals you'll get in Grand Prix.

Also, the standard medium bike, the Mach Bike and the unlockable -->Nitrocycle<-- are fantastic on Automatic.

I've beaten all the 50 cc cups now, and moved onto 100cc

- This is only bikes (but other modes will probably be unlocked when you beaten them all).

- 100cc is ALOT more fun then 50 cc. The speed adds alot of fun, and the AI seems less cruel.

- I've seen DK driving repeatedly against a wall. Not sure if this was a glitch, but the AI is overall pretty retarded.

- Some of the tracks have really grown on me. The Wario gold mine is hella fun, and the Mushroom cup is made out of tracks, which in turn, are made out of win. And again, the Coconut Mall is awesome.

- The character models are only ugly in the character select screen, the actual ingame models are far better.

And now for something everybody wants to hear...

Snaking.

Is it in the game? I am not sure. Thing is, due to every character having different stats, i can't say there is no snaking because i haven't tried every character, and/or every vehicle. What i am trying to say, is that a couple of million people are going to pick this game up. At least one of them will find a way.

But to be honest, to snake, you have to use the manual powerslide, and the Wiimote doesn't really lend itself to such fast actions as the d-pad on the DS. Not only that, it's hard to pull off, since not all the tracks are very wide, and how alot of curves. However, the only ones that COULD, are the DS courses.

I think I'm going to enjoy this installment, although not as quite as DD because of the disgusting battle mode. Why did they have to screw this up?

Shhhhhhh! Think good thoughts before I break down! No lag online...no lag online...no lag online...no lag onlinenolagonlinenolagonlinenolagonlinenolagonlineNOLAGONLINE!!!!!!!

Nice impressions there. It's too bad that some of the new courses have the same templates as Double Dash. Nonetheless, I'm glad that there are a lot of courses to race in. I'm also sad that there's no special weapons this time around. Makes picking individual characters less unique than in Double Dash.

I've just imported this from the UK. I think I'm going to enjoy this installment, although not as quite as DD because of the disgusting battle mode. Why did they have to screw this up?

how are you planning on playing that?

if youre using freeloader id hope you dont have the newest wii firmware because it makes it not work

if your wii is modded good luck semi bricking your wii after the update

also i dont even know that might even happen on freeloader too

I don't understand Nintendo. They went from "no to online" to "online only" now? From what I've read in many places this game hardly has any playing value for offline mode so I take it anybody without a fast internet connection shouldn't even buy this game?

Anyway I have very fast internet but I hardly have time to get online to play anymore and when I do manage to play a game I usually have friends over to play as well. I can forgive the poor battle mode but who is the idiot that decided offline GP mode no longer needs to be for more than 1player? What the hell is the reasoning behind that? For me that's been the deciding factor on whether or not I should get this game. I'm sure the online is great but in my case I was looking more for a great offline experience as well (like Brawl).

End of rant, not of rage.

I can forgive the poor battle mode but who is the idiot that decided offline GP mode no longer needs to be for more than 1player? What the hell is the reasoning behind that? For me that's been the deciding factor on whether or not I should get this game. I'm sure the online is great but in my case I was looking more for a great offline experience as well (like Brawl).

End of rant, not of rage.

Because Nintendo can't do a good thing without fucking up something else.

All GP cups in all difficulties gold'd and star+ ranked.

All Time Trial basic staff ghosts beaten, probably about half of the Expert ghosts are unlocked, none beaten.

Destroyed the competition online, in a few hours I got the ranking to 7300 or so (points system starts at 5000).

I've got all the characters unlocked but I'm still missing a vehicle - a medium kart.

The medium karts available to me are:

---spoilertext below---

Standard Kart M

Nostalgia 1

Wild Wing

Turbo Blooper

Royal Racer

---spoilertext above---

Anyone know what I'm missing and how to get it?

==========

EDIT

==========

I had to unlock 24 Expert Staff Ghosts for the -->B-Dasher Mk 2<--

Alright, some more trivia, but most of you will only be interested in the first line.

NO GODDAMN LAG.

NONE WHATSOEVER, NONE.

- So yeah, i tried to play online (though i have only tried continental, might be a different story when it comes to worldwide. Never had any trouble finding a game though).

- And i lied. I've played about 25 races now, and in all of those races, i only had ONE bit of lag, which lasted like half a second. No lagging, no characters (diss)appearing, no tricks, nothing.

- There is no snaking going on.

- Found out how to do the tricks. Thank god for that though, because you ABSOLUTELY need them online. It's something that you really should consider doing in 100 cc and up, but for online, it's a must.

- Everything goes.

- All of the races online are 100 cc (karts and bikes), normal. That is the reason why i don't plan to continue to play on 150 cc, because that would be rediculous. Training offline in a mode that you can't acces online? Rubbish. Though if you want to unlock everything, you still have to.

- You don't have to unlock characters/karts/bikes to see them online. I haven't unlocked Toadette, but i've seen a player using her.

- The way you get to see which players you are going to go up against is rather amusing. You get to see their Mii, (nick)name, and country. When it's a bot, you'll only see a random name, appearing in the country the last player is from. I can assume that the American version will show the Mii, (nickname), and State.

- The game asks you if you want to change your Mii-name into an nickname, in case of "security" (*Cough, herrassment,*cough*). That's bullshit, since i could've played with my grandma's Mii, for instance. And there is no real way of communicating with other players.

- Bikes are far more popular.

- I like bikes far more then Karts.

- Pushing people seems to very popular, and very handy. I found my Toad to be pushed into lava pits quite often.

- Female players (judging by the Mii's, but this is no garantee) always play female characters. Toadette, Peach, whatever.

- The items are stupid.

First there is the POW block. The only way you can escape from it's fury is to find a ramp, or something to jump off from. You need to get off the ground, otherwise you're screwed.

The Mega mushroom from New Super Mario is worthless. Sure, you're bigger and can go faster, but you're still vulnerable to star attacks and bullet bills. It sucks.

And then there is the fucking thundercloud. I hate it. I hate it so bad. And at first, i didn't know what the fuck it did. I just hovers above you, making you go faster. But at the end, it just fucks you in the ass by striking thunder down on you, making you smaller and vulnerable. So what the hell is it's use? Well, guess what. You need to find somebody, bash him, and the thundercloud get's passed onto him.

So yeah, in order for it to work, you need to be close to somebody. If you're not, it backfires on you, meaning you can get in a worse position then before.

- Haven't tried battle mode yet.

- There is one level with alot of water in it. (one of my favorites, since you fall down into a pipe, making the old school Mario sound when doing so.) You ride through a (shallow) river with a strong current, making you go faster. It might sound silly, but the river/strong current thing reminded me about what happened to Reuben Kee....

I can forgive the poor battle mode but who is the idiot that decided offline GP mode no longer needs to be for more than 1player? What the hell is the reasoning behind that? End of rant, not of rage.

Wha-huh-SAY WHAT?!?!?!? GOSH FRIGGEN' DANG IT!!!!!!!!

Me and my dad ALWAYS played offline GP mode together :puppyeyes:...First battle mode and now this?!?!

I'm gonna find the man who did this, and choke him with his own large intestine!!!

Yeah the rating system says shit. I've had some excellent races, but always got knocked the fuck out in the last 30 seconds.

The rating system in Wii sports was alot better. It judged your overall performance, not the place you ended in. This way it's way to easy losing the same points you earned in the previous race.

Concerning local GP ... you can DO it, you just have to select the tracks manually and you won't earn your license trophies.

Yeah I'm aware of that but it just takes away from that feeling of accomplishment you get when playing GP mode with up to 3 other friends right next to you. I was sold on this game until I heard about only 1player GP mode. It's a big deal to me so I don't know if I'll be buying this game or just use that money and get Okami instead since I never played that game.

Yeah I'm aware of that but it just takes away from that feeling of accomplishment you get when playing GP mode with up to 3 other friends right next to you. I was sold on this game until I heard about only 1player GP mode. It's a big deal to me so I don't know if I'll be buying this game or just use that money and get Okami instead since I never played that game.

Three blue shells later in the last turn, I dislike the game for the next 5 minutes. Go buy Okami ! >_<

more good stuff about online

if someone is doing a worldwide race and they are your friend you can hop right into their worldwide game

you can invite your wii friends to be mariokart friends

its set up so nicely in every way

if nintendo could stop being fgts and just put out a simple patch to make classic battle mode available this would be best mariokart ever maybe

IDK, its pretty hard to top Mario Kart DS (ignoring snakeing, however hard that may be). I think it was a great culmination of the series, and its the first one to do Nintendo wi-fi right.

First game to use Nintendo WFC period.