Mario Kart Wii

SwordBreaker

SNES Mario Kart didn't have rubber-banding. Well, it had one case. If a CPU got hit by something and another CPU with less points passed that CPU, then the CPU with the higher points would pull back ahead.

CPUs didn't follow the same rules for items (MANY character-specific items per lap, jumped clear over your items half the time) or kart stats (DK/Bowser didn't have such bad acceleration when they were CPUs).

Good items like lightning and stars were still rationed out to players according to place. I don't see how you can make a claim that SNES Mario kart didn't rubber-band.

I'm picking this up tonight, and am pretty excited. I've found this to be a great multiplayer series, and i'm ready to try some new tracks! :-)

I've heard the best control scheme is actually the nunchuck + wiimote?

Confirm/deny?

I'll confirm that for you. I raced Mushroom, Shell, Flower and Banana Cup with the Wii Wheel. I raced Star Cup with the Wiimote + Nunchuck. Finally, I raced Leaf Cup with the gamecube controller. My detailed feelings:

Wii Wheel: Most fun, but not accurate enough when it counts! Performing tricks can be tiresome, and I couldn't manage to pull off a good wheelie. Also, the controller began to hurt my right hand. :(

Gamecube: The second best choice. Tricks are made more difficult (and painful) with the puny d-pad. But, this is the best controller to use if you like to look behind you and shoot items at the same time. I found myself really wishing items were used with the Y button instead of L.

Wiimote + Nunchuck: The best, most accurate and comfortable choice. After I switched over to this from the Wii Wheel, my hand felt strangely relieved. Tricks are easy to do. Wheelies are simple to pull off, and you can cruise thru the game's menus with the pointer!

CPUs didn't follow the same rules for items (MANY character-specific items per lap, jumped clear over your items half the time) or kart stats (DK/Bowser didn't have such bad acceleration when they were CPUs).

Good items like lightning and stars were still rationed out to players according to place. I don't see how you can make a claim that SNES Mario kart didn't rubber-band.

After you played for a while, you'd see that CPUs generally run in the same route on a track. You could then place a banana peel/green shell at that spot, and you would hit someone every time.

CPUs only used their character specific items. Mario's and Luigi's star power didn't even make them go faster. No CPU had access to lightning bolts.

You're right, CPUs did ignore things like character stats such as acceleration, but they didn't always keep up with you. On a lot of tracks, you could get a pretty big lead and keep it. While SNES MK did have some rubber-banding, it's no where near as harsh as it is currently :P

But anyway, has anyone played much online? Nintendo did such a good job. I also loved how I got a friend request on the Wii message board. Not having to input a code to add my friend? Awesome! :P

I have to concur with JCvgluvr on this one. The Wii Wheel is certainly a lot of fun, and I have to add that it is even more fun if multiple people are using wheels. I've gotten particularly good at controlling Toad with the wheel. Wario is and always will be my favorite character, however, and he is simply not usable with the wheel. Loose turns translate into a lot of unnecessary deaths during races which would be avoided if I was using the GCN controller or the remote-nunchuck combo. All in all, it's fun, but don't take the game too seriously when you're playing with the wheel; just have fun in a casual manner.

As a side note, my mom, who never plays games, enjoys playing with the wheel, thereby illustrating the target audience for such an accessory: nongamers (I realize, of course, that everyone knew that already).

Finally played it last night for about 3 hours using only the wheel (and baby Peach, mainly due to her sassy victory dance).

It was amazingly fun, passing the wheel around and taking turns doing the races. It took a few races to get used to completely, but once we figured out you need to hold the B button to do a slide, it was super easy. The new stages are great, and the old ones chosen were generally pretty good.

I was going to pick up an extra wheel with the game, but they were sold out, so i'll have to keep my eyes open for additional wheels. They are great, IMO.

Picked this up on Tuesday night, but didn't get a chance to play until yesterday. I was becoming a little skeptical of the how good this game was going to be when I read some reviews, but that only set me up to be pleasantly suprised when I sat down with it. I heard someone comparing it to Mario Kart DS, and I'd agree with that. I really liked Mario Kart DS, and in a lot of ways this feels similar to me. I was also fairly happy that the Wii Wheel works well, and it's been fun to use. I've only played most of the 50cc so far so I'm not very far in at this point, but I'm looking forward to playing more, especially playing with friends (haven't gotten to yet, but that's part of my plan for this weekend).

I havent tried anything yet but the GC controller. I don't see the wheel as being fun.

It wasn't when I tried it. It worked about as well as I expected, but it's not as accurate as an analog stick, especially for quick changes in direction. That didn't surprise me though knowing how the Wii's motion sensing works, but the wheel is definitely the worst option for controlling the game. Maybe it's winning people over who want to feel like they're actually steering a kart, but the analog sticks are a much better control option if you ask me.

Yeah, I actually couldn't beat anything past 50cc until I switched to the Gamecube controller. It's easier to power slide more often with an analog stick.

The game is mostly similar to MKDS in track design and music, I think. Which is definitely a good thing. If I could only change one thing about the game, it would be the amount of racers. 12 is just too much. For one thing, it can get really crowded sometimes when you're not in first place. Also, I think going back to 8 racers would cut down on the ridiculous amount of weapons of mass destruction. Two birds, one stone.

Baby Peach is adorable.

That is all.

Only when she's being nuked by a Blue Shell. ...What? I hate the Baby characters. This is quite possible proof that I have no soul.

I dunno, I rather like the Wii Wheel. I've gone through both 50 and 100cc using it and I'll probably go for 150cc with it too. It may not be the most *optimal* experience, but damned if it isn't more tactile and more fun. *Shrugs*

CPUs only used their character specific items. Mario's and Luigi's star power didn't even make them go faster. No CPU had access to lightning bolts.

Of course. In that sentence I was talking about players.

• 2 weeks later...

todays online racing was actually pretty fun

whenever i go online i always go against japanese players that rep rosalina and pwn way too hard. well today i went online and this chick named simone and she was reppin yoshi and me and her went neck and neck for about 6 races pounding people with 9k ratings. it was a beautiful thing. too bad nintendo is like ANON PLZ NO CONTACT WITH OTHERS cause i would have added her to my non existent buddy list

she totally rage quit after ghost valley 2 cause me and her were neck and neck all the way through and someone used a lightning bolt when we were drifting right on the edge and i bumped into her and she fell off the stage

i was rofling but she probably was like D:<

Generally for me, I either get kicked off before I can start a race or I don't get kicked off at all. Although I have been kicked off in the middle of the race. It just stopped the race and gave everyone their points. Weirdness.

Also: My vote in the cuteness competition will have to go to Baby Daisy. I've been using her a lot now.