Pianoteq

Jago

Honestly, not everyone needs this stuff. Unless you are a very accomplished pianist who is concerned for the most convincing sound possible, and for some reason you don't have access to an actual piano with decent recording capabilities, a cheaper or even free sample set will suit your needs just fine.

Contrary to what some people seem to think, bigger and badder software will not compensate for your own shortcomings as a producer.

Nah, I disagree Gecko. If you're doing any kind of music where you need realistic piano - eg. any sort of solo piano piece, concertos, soundtrack music - the difference between free and higher quality samples is pretty obvious. Plus the advantage of Pianoteq is that it's physically modeled... it has virtually no RAM requirement and can be tweaked in tone. The same can't be said for samples.

For anyone who knows my production process, would this be an appropriate piece of software for me to get? For example, could I run my MIDIs through the standalone program and automatically get something fairly realistic as output? If so, this just might be worth my while. It would certainly cost less than buying a grand piano and the necessary recording equipment.

this is impressive...I just hope that this "breakthrough" will eventually work its way over to orchestral instruments...*happily imagines a physically modeled trumpet that actually sounds real*

I guess that the more complex (?) tone of a brass instrument is what keeps this from happening...oh well. I can always dream, right?

Whatever the case, this is a find. Nice work Jago! :nicework:

Knew about those...just didn't really "count" them. XD (yeah, I'm sad)

Synful is not that great, imo, it really needs better samples to be manipulated, and wallander instruments are SO expensive as to be out of my budget almost entirely.

(Well, so are all of the instruments in this "4th generation")

Sigh. We all need live personal orchestras, ya know? Like Mannheim Steamroller...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that impressed me about Pianoteq's demo (and that ultimately lead me to purchasing it), was the fact that it's a virtual instrument based on modeling, not sampling. Pianoteq, in my opinion, really captures the feel of playing a real piano. This has to do with the fact that with modeling, the virtual instrument isn't limited to triggering samples based on velocity hits. Ivory has four to ten velocity layers, depending on the piano sounds and instrument settings you use. Pianoteq plays back the sound based on its model, which means that there is a theoretical limit of 128 different velocities (128 the maximum amount allowed with MIDI format).

My main instrument is the piano, and playing Pianoteq felt quite a bit different than my Yamaha MotifES. It was easier to play expressively, especially when playing trills or accents.

Another advantage that I find with Pianoteq is that it's only 20 megabytes. When compared to these massive sample libraries out there, it's like the virtual instrument equivalent of a Future Crew or Andromeda demo. I've been able to get it running on my MSI netbook if I turn down the sampling rate, and latency is still less than 10ms, which is amazing.

-J