I'm going to listen to every SNES soundtrack.

Less Ashamed Of Self

I've downloaded the entire snesmusic.org torrent, 1014 games (not all but pretty damn substantial), and assembled the play list. Just shy of 600 hours. I don't expect I'll like all of it but I'm going to take notes for obscure soundtracks worth checking out and random tracks of unexpected quality.

All right; starting with 3 Ninjas Kick Back... wish me luck guys.

*play*

I've downloaded the entire snesmusic.org torrent, 1014 games (not all but pretty damn substantial), and assembled the play list. Just shy of 600 hours. I don't expect I'll like all of it but I'm going to take notes for obscure soundtracks worth checking out and random tracks of unexpected quality.

*play*

Sounds awesome as hell, Luke. Great idea; lemme know if you hear some good obscure ones!

The undumpable and problematic ones? Yeah... I might have to try and beat all those games. :tomatoface:

BTW; Bluetooth headphones are the best things on the planet. My laptop is across the room and I'm doing massive amounts of dishes and house chores while I listen/research. They set me back ~$130 but have been worth every penny. Highly recommended.

I am one of the SPC dumpers on SNESMusic.org, and since the last new set update on Feburary 2nd, 2008, I have submitted over 20 sets. 23 to be exact.

The latest one is actually one of those Japanese games: Logos Panic. If you've played the game, I found out a simple solution to the language problem. Simple: Match the Japanese symbols that appear with the paper that pops up! I recently beat the game with no cheat codes whatsoever.

Believe me, I can get this stuff quickly dealt with in most cases. In some cases, like Pagemaster, I delay the release to allow for investigation of extra areas for new pieces of music.

To find composers for some of these games, I use a simple solution: Use either MobyGames, Answers.com, or HexEdit, my Mac Hex Editor/Viewer application. In some cases, I have to use actual gameplay to do the job.

Anyways, I actually don't mind some of the Japanese games myself. I do both languages, although sometimes I submit Japanese screenshots of level names requesting translations. I had to do that with Action Pachio.

If you're going to listen to every SNES soundtrack on there, I have MP3 rips of the undumpable/problematic ones if you want to listen to them. They include:

Paperboy 2 (Two tracks in the entire game.)

Pit Fighter (One track! Just one track!)

Ren and Stimpy - Veediots (10 tracks in all.)

Steel Talons (17 tracks - most are very short, execpt for the Title Screen, which is about a minute.)

My MP3s are timed to two loops plus a fade, execpt where there's a silent part in between the loops, or it's a non-looping tune.

Two of those are confirmed as undumpable by SNESMusic.org: Steel Talons and Ren and Stimpy - Veediots!. The other two don't look too promising: If someone wants to try to get that stuff on a SPC file, then either those two will be a no-go or they'll need a patch.

I busted several other tracks for first-note sticking problems, and these games, not on the undumpable list, are confirmed that Script700 can't be used to fix this stuff (by a Japanese page):

NHL '94

NBA Showdown

The tracks that are still unconfirmed are:

Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 (Only a simple piece of music from Asteroids convinced me to put that on the problematic list, because everything else was SFX, no music!)

Great Waldo Search

James Bond Jr. (The bad news is that the composers for this game are Peter Stone and Nick Eastridge. If Peter Stone is involved, this means trouble already. Why? Peter Stone was a composer for Ren and Stimpy - Veediots! and Wayne's World, both undumpable games.)

Mario's Early Years - Fun With Letters

Mario's Early Years - Fun With Numbers

Mario's Early Years - Preschool Fun (All three have the same composers.)

Marko's Magic Football (I couldn't get far: The emulator, SNES9X, that I was using froze after the Acclaim logo.)

Paperboy 2

Pit Fighter (Because these two are Tengen games, these don't sound too good as for whether or not they can go on a SPC file.)

Relief Pitcher (Yes, this is by Left Field Entertainment, which means the news here is not good. Steel Talons, another Left Field Entertainment game, was already declared undumpable.)

Universal Soldier (This game is by Ballistics, which isn't good news. WarpSpeed is also a Ballistics game, but that game's dumpable, thanks to my verification. It wasn't even first-note sticking!)

The grand total here is 10. If anyone wants to check those games out to see if they can put that stuff on a SPC, go ahead!

I also have a list of games with no music at all on SNESMusic.org if they want to see them.

Arg. I don't have a lot of time to set aside for this right now... and I thought I may have been getting somewhere when I hit around song 265, Aero the Acrobat...

I love the Aero soundtrack, and was actually thinking about remixing something from it. Hope you liked those songs. Although I imagine after this many songs, it's already starting to sound like a big mush?

*play*

What file format are/were they in?

What file format are/were they in?

They are all in the SPC format, which is the file format for SNES games if I'm correct. You can download a plugin for Winamp and it plays them all just fine. You won't even notice they aren't MP3s.

On the subject of SNES games and hidden soundtracks of gold...I would recommend giving Ninja Warriors Again a good look over. It's easily one of my favorite SNES game soundtracks and was pretty impressive for it's time. It's not final fantasy or anything, but then what is? (Unless of course it's Chrono Trigger).

All recommendations thus far will be heard in cue just like all the rest.

KungFuFurby; glad to see we've bridged a site gap bringing you here and thank you for your contribution to my listening project... I will accept a link to these mp3 sets... I recommend submitting them to GH if you haven't already. I would love it if ALL of the undumpable soundtracks made it to an mp3 archive though.

Beggers can't be choosers I guess.

I fully endorse this; also thanks for the link to that site, I have been looking for a lot of these spc files, (especially the original aerobiz).

Will you be updating this thread with hidden gems?

You receive the FIST OF ULTIMATE APPROVAL!!!

Whoah! Someone else played Aerobiz (and actually noticed the music?). Awesome :). Good memories of a once-rented game.

Universal Soldier was pretty much Turrican 2 with different sprites and level design. I think they even kept the same music by Hülsbeck. If you manage to rip it you've basicly got the SNES version of Turrican 2.

I'm not that much of a SPC hacker myself (I lack assembly knowledge myself, which isn't a good thing for hacking), but I can use patches utilizing an IPS Patcher application. The only bad news for Mac users is that I'm using a Classic Mac one, because the OS X one does terrible with SPCs. If anyone wants to try to make a patch, I can use that and do the job. Besides, I have completed one first-note sticking set so far: Jungle no Ojya Tachan. I have a tendacy to take advantage of first-note sticking problems to grab vocal samples uninterrupted.

Beware of the Dark Law SPC set: The wrong patch was used for that game. I have the correct patch, and it comes from the Script700 website if anyone wants to use that. Kat's Run patch does NOT work on this set... it doesn't work on Audio Overload or Game Music Box, both SPC players that I use on the Mac. I can upload a file with the Title Screen patched correctly.

Also: What is GH? I'm assuming Galbadia Hotel.

A SNSF format is availble, but I reccomend that be converted to MP3.

I can do Super Noah's Ark 3D thanks to the fact that I know the game pretty well now. The death SFX can be dumped in SPC form without problems, but that's probably because it's a sample. This also applies to Wolfenstien 3D, only that it's definite.

Arg. I don't have a lot of time to set aside for this right now... and I thought I may have been getting somewhere when I hit around song 265, Aero the Acrobat...

Ooh, I haven't thought about that game in a long time. I seem to remember it being a pretty damn tough platformer, though. Some of the circus-y music was cute.

I would recommend giving Ninja Warriors Again a good look over. It's easily one of my favorite SNES game soundtracks and was pretty impressive for it's time.

SECOND!

I programmed four MIDI's out of that game for vgmusic, so you know I like this one. I've got to have a ReMix done one of these days.

I also dig TMNT: Tournament Fighters.