Kingdom Hearts 2 "Sacred Moon" Sketch

noTuX

The percussion and soundscape you've created is really interesting. I like it a lot because it's complex (especially with your use of delays, panning, and phaser) but deceivingly simple, so it doesn't take away from what melodic material there is. I feel as if after the drums start to pick up at 0:48, there needs to be a little more in the foreground, but I'm sure that'll be filled out with more updates and stuff. In terms of the snare, I'd personally like a more "artificial" one...sorry for a lack of a better word, but for the surreal atmosphere you've created here, I feel as if the real snare shot you have here doesn't fit. That's purely personal though. Really cool ideas, and for an hour's work, excellent stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

From now on, whenever I want to say something is awesome, I'm saying "Blue Magic."

This sketch is just Blue Magic. The Blue Magic way that you use the effects and processing are just incredibly Blue Magic. Blue Magic stuff.

Okay, seriously, great production on your part. And in only a few hours! The direction is very complex and not what one would call lazy groove. I'd like to see that direction carried throughout the mix. The piece could definitely go between sounding chill and vibe to throwing in different changes and variations that make you sit up and listen. I really, really like that the piece makes you sit up and listen.

I'd want to say more about this, but I want to hear where this goes before I do. I can't wait to hear more.

The low strings and some weird rhythmic thing in my right ear are the only things that bother me. The overall sound is great, the source is great and has lots of stuff you can incorporate... You know, as short as it is, I'll just leave the feedback a little short.

At the risk of sounding a bit negative, I think this sums it up: Sounds great, most of it, so far.

• 1 month later...

Overall very nice! Well done.

Thoughts. Some of the swirly synths aren't mixed into the piece as well as the rest of it. 1:10 has an example of this, where the thing kinda just decays. Some people may like it, I personally don't think it helps too much. That one's an opinion call.

The same goes for the rising and falling whiny saw, that starts at :07 and goes throughout the piece. Its very cool at first, but it doesn't really seem to go much of anywhere. If its just filler then that's cool but I think with a little bit of creativity it could mesh better than it does now. For instance, at 1:17 when the breakdown comes, it could sound really cool with a little gating effect.

In general, the piece is nicely put together in that it's decidedly subdued, with nothing really taking over. Its got a good sense of purpose if you will. All in all, keep up the good work! I wish I had more for you but its not particularly long, so long comments are hard to come by.

dude lovin you for being the only one to do some KH mixes, we need more from that game.

anyways nice track, every ambient start, reminds me of Acces the Animus from Assassins Creed, there are some sounds that sound wrong or off, but as you said it is still messy, the string stac's were hot

• 2 weeks later...

You guys were probably using the link in my first post. I forgot to update that one, but there was another link about halfway down the page that was working. Sorry about that.

All of the links have been updated and they should be working now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xgdzdczdnji

I added another section to the mix and worked on the EQing. I'm going to be making changes to the new section, so what I have right now is just demonstrate the direction I'm trying to go in.

Sorry it takes so long to post these updates. I'm trying to work on 7 remixes at the same time.:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...
You've reminded me that I need to give Kingdom Hearts more love.

I would definitely love to hear you, GameBox, Audix and Avaris tackle some of these tracks as well. If I had the time, patience, and organizational skills, I would try to get a Project together.

What ever happened to that WIP you had a while back?

PS...Bump.

Another Update. (all links are updated)

I added an extra melody to the section thats starts around the 1:50 mark just to fill in the emptiness. I'm still trying to decide what to do with the next section after that, so for now, I just cut it off at 2:20.

I have so many ideas on where I should take this song next, but just picking one and applying it is proving to be a little difficult. I'll make up my mind soon.

Let me know what you guys think.

• 1 year later...
I would definitely love to hear you, GameBox, Audix and Avaris tackle some of these tracks as well. If I had the time, patience, and organizational skills, I would try to get a Project together.

Is it common practice for the one putting together a project to also contribute to it, remix wise? I have the time, patience and organizational skills to put together a KH Project - hell I'm always hoping I'll randomly come to OCR one day and see that someone started one. The only way I'd be able to contribute though is by making a website/graphics for it. I have no musical talent whatsoever, though I have been told I'd make a good melodic death metal singer/screamer which always makes me smile :D

Also, I completely agree with those who you listed, along with others, but I don't feel like namedropping right now.

Back on topic, please finish this. It sounds so amazing thus far.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new drum work. It seems to bring out the source tune more (like at 1:46 - the end), unless you changed that as well... made it louder or something (I suck with music terminology). But at the same time, the way the drums are in the latest update, seem kind of out of place - not really sure how else to describe it.

I think what it is, to me anyway, is they take away from the dark feel that it had before, and judging from the name "City of Darkness" I assume that's kind of the feel you're going for.

I dunno, take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm not the greatest person to critique music, but those are my thoughts on it.

I still like it overall though, and can't wait to hear it extended and finished.

... this. Seriously, this is made of win and awesome. My only advice is to keep up what you're doing, because not only is this turning into pure awesome, but it is also representing one of my favorite game music soundtracks. Ever. :D

It also reminds me I should probably return to my roots and try to remix some more KH tunes. A project doesn't sound too bad, either... but not now, of course, later, when there's not dozens of projects popping up like babies. o.o