Why has no one touched Starcraft/Warcraft?

Kalhenwrath

The biggest pearls come from Warcraft 3 in my opinion.

Especially the Human Campain music in Frozen Throne, it gives me chills, every time.

I assume you're talking about the piece "Lordearon Fall." Truly amazing song, but I wouldn't have the first clue how to approach it for a remix.

so, untouchable?

I'm far from being a polished mixer, but I suspect it has to do with complexity. The people who have training in orchestral arrangement aren't likely going to take an orchestral piece and remix it; there's less room for creativity than when taking a piece in some other genre. I'm a jazz/blues/funk kind of person, so I'm not going to touch something orchestral (particularly for a series I love) because all I'll do is cheapen it, and there are too many other songs that'd make better remixes in other genres. And for others with less knowledge of theory or who remix in less complicated genres like techno (not implying that techno remixers don't understand theory; zircon alone strongly disproves that), an orchestral piece can be too complicated musically either for the remixer to understand or for the genre the remixer wants to remix in.

I can only wonder if the artists here find Blizzard's already incredible music untouchable.

That's one possibility, but another possibility could be that no one here really gives a shit about Blizzard's music.

And for others with less knowledge of theory or who remix in less complicated genres like techno (not implying that techno remixers don't understand theory; zircon alone strongly disproves that), an orchestral piece can be too complicated musically either for the remixer to understand or for the genre the remixer wants to remix in.

This can't be... you... you didn't just use the word "techno" to refer to electronic music in general... did you? And... and when you say "orchestral piece" you didn't mean to imply a classical piece... did you?

IGNORANCE!

It's hard to take your post seriously when it comes across that you don't know anything about classical or electronic music.

Techno is no less of a complicated genre and zircon doesn't do techno.

Exactly.

The Name "Knives" fits. I remember him being a prick, too.

That's one possibility, but another possibility could be that no one here really gives a shit about Blizzard's music.

This can't be... you... you didn't just use the word "techno" to refer to electronic music in general... did you? And... and when you say "orchestral piece" you didn't mean to imply a classical piece... did you?

IGNORANCE!

It's hard to take your post seriously when it comes across that you don't know anything about classical or electronic music.

Exactly.

The Name "Knives" fits. I remember him being a prick, too.

Whatever, I just don't like your attitude. If you go anywhere to request something for free then you do it kindly and humbly. You don't come in here all smug and be like, "What're you guys? Too incompetent to remix Blizzard's stuff?" Seriously, that's not cool, it's insulting. There are plently of guys not only on OCR, but on VGMix and other places as well that can come up with a quality remix of Blizzard's stuff in a fairly short period of time. But they don't not because they can't, they don't because they give a shit.

You can't get too picky on a site that doesn't even use the term "remix" properly.

That's why we write it as "ReMix" for clarification. And there were way too many things I disagreed with in his post for me not to mention something. I could of said a lot more and in a much harsher manner but I restrained myself since I'd just be going overboard.

But they don't not because they can't, they don't because they give a shit.

Well that's a bit of a stretch, ain't it?

I haven't looked into it myself because my interest in video game music is more recent than any Blizzard game I've spent time playing or listening to, so I can't say if it's remix-friendly material.

Remixers have lives and preferences of their own, and they prefer remixing their own favourites. Sometimes, a ReQuest posted here can sparkle interest for a track they're not that familiar with, or didn't think of. Demanding a track to be remixed is more likely gonna get you rants in reply rather than a remix, so watch your tone.

So kids, play nice. This isn't a free "get your favourite tracks remixed"-service, you're bound to get more results by finding a _few_ great tracks that appeal to remixers and posting them here than by demanding music from a particular game. There's a post about this forum, it's worth reading.

Techno is no less of a complicated genre and zircon doesn't do techno.

Also, I'm an elitist asshole etc etc.

@Gecko and Knives:

Yes, I realize I misused techno. I'm not claiming to know a whole lot about the various types of electronic music. What I can say with certainty is that from the music that is posted on OCRemix, there is, *in general* more theory knowledge needed for most jazz and classical remixes than for most electronic mixes. It may not be easier to create electronic music, but based on what I know, which may not be the complete picture, it requires less knowledge of theory to understand and create electronic music than it does classical or jazz.

I'm not trying to be elitist, and you'll notice that I'm not a posted mixer and don't even have anything in the WIP forums right now. I'm just stating my observed opinion. My point was that there are more mixers who favour various electronic genres here than jazz or classical, and that people tend to stick to the genres they're most comfortable with when making a new remix.

@Knives: Also, no, I didn't misuse orchestral, at least not in the sense that I understand the word to be. I'd say orchestral music was initially a subgenre of classical that includes all classical music written for the orchestra (as opposed to trios, quartets, chamber music, etc.) Orchestral nowadays isn't strictly classical; movie soundtracks often include other instruments or other world music influences. I've played through Warcraft II, III, and actively play World of Warcraft, and based on the definition I gave, can think of very little that I wouldn't call orchestral. You're clearly the expert here; how would you say I misused the term?

completely wrong.

If you want to make "good" electronic music, you have to know as much as other artists that make different genres.

I didn't say that it takes less knowledge to make electronic music. I said that it takes less knowledge of music theory to make electronic music, based on what I've been exposed to so far. Writing *any* kind of music well takes a lot of knowledge about the instruments you're writing for, be they synthesizers or strings or saxophones, and I'm not and never was making the point that electronic music is somehow easier. If anything, I find it much harder to make electronic music of any kind than to do classical or jazz, and that's because of my background. I have a lot of respect for the people who can tweak their hardware and synthesizers to get the precise result they want, but doing so requires no music theory (although it does of course require knowledge of how sound works, or at least a good ear, creative mind, and a lot of luck).

I still hold that it takes less knowledge of music theory to make electronic music than classical or jazz, at least as far as the music I've been exposed to through this site and elsewhere (i.e. obviously not a complete picture of the genre, but given the level of the classical and jazz remixes in comparison to "professional" classical and jazz recordings and artists, it would shock me if the electronic music posted here was so significantly worse).

Once again, all I'm saying is that *in my experience*, electronic music requires a different skill set from classical and jazz and doesn't require as much knowledge of music theory. By all means prove me wrong by pointing me in the direction of electronic music that pushes the envelope in terms of chords, voicings, use of modal music, complex time signatures, etc. If anything else, I'll likely appreciate such music more than most of what I've heard in the genre so far, as those are typically the qualities that I see in my favourite classical and jazz pieces.

People don't remix Starcraft/Warcraft music most likely because a lot of the people that play the games don't stop even to take a breath. I'm surprised that people haven't been reported dead by over-exposure to WoW. Especially those Korean dudes. Not that I have anything against Blizzard's games. In fact, I might have gotten hooked myself if it weren't for the fact that this fish didn't and doesn't have the cash to buy the hook to bite in the first place. And now that I've stepped onto the edge of the battlefield and fired off a few rounds, I do believe that it's time for me to run away like a little girl before I get shot (runs away so fast that a trail of fire is left on the ground).

• 2 weeks later...

GOD! here we go with another righteously indignant speech given by another overbearing prick trying in vain to teach me tact. Listen, kid, do not presume to tell me whether or not I appreciate these good peoples' music. I merely asked a question. If you don't like my attitude, then may I suggest pulling whatever stick is lodged up your ass out and then pissing off. People like you adversely affect the development of humanity and you mother is probably ashamed of you, too.

Whatever, I just don't like your attitude. If you go anywhere to request something for free then you do it kindly and humbly. You don't come in here all smug and be like, "What're you guys? Too incompetent to remix Blizzard's stuff?" Seriously, that's not cool, it's insulting. There are plently of guys not only on OCR, but on VGMix and other places as well that can come up with a quality remix of Blizzard's stuff in a fairly short period of time. But they don't not because they can't, they don't because they give a shit.

That's why we write it as "ReMix" for clarification. And there were way too many things I disagreed with in his post for me not to mention something. I could of said a lot more and in a much harsher manner but I restrained myself since I'd just be going overboard.