OCR00917 - Chrono Cross "Cross Fire"

djpretzel

For a first remix, this is really really good!!! I love the intro, how it just flows like a bunch of gentle waves and all the other instruments just flow in with it... that stuff really pulls me in.

This certainly has a lot of different instruments, considering how many there are in the original, and it all meshes in so well. I'm practically in love with the sound of an ocarina since Zelda64, but since you say it's a bamboo flute not an ocarina, that makes no difference to how much I love this remix!!! Heheh, make that I'm practically in love with the sound any flutish sounding instrument.

Don't worry about the fade at the end, first time I heard this I though it spoilt it but now when I think of it it's sort of like the flow of time, continuous and stuff, and that's what Chrono Cross runs on, time!!!

Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next remix!!!

hello Marc Star! Is this your first mix? .. its amazing, if so -> congradulate yourself. if not? congradulate yourself, well done piece, infact, VERY well done.

0:01 - Mmm.. Delicious Intro. Awesome work here.

0:15 - Sweet Guitar work..Drum beat is a good complement, though a bit on the Light side of things, i think it fits VERY well.

0:35 - That a flute? of sorts.. Im diggin the backround melody that complements it. this your first? very promising.

1:07 - Don't like that low sound. Destroy's the mood i think.. I ADORE the happy-vibe that your putting out, those high synth-type strings are beautiful.

1:36 - Cool Drum work, And that low bass sound isn't nearly as annoying as it once was.

1:54 - Cool Work here.. Again, just Awesome.

2:15 - Sorry, but i Hate that damn fadeout, it doesnt fit this at all.. Id prefer something else.

• 2 weeks later...

My take on this song:

I love it :D

Simply beautiful - no, really, I mean that. Captures the "spirit" of Chrono Cross wonderfully, in my opinion. I personally have no problem with the fade out at the end - it kind of leaves a little mystery in my mind when this piece fades out, it's hard to explain.

Whenever I hear this, it brings definate images to my mind - mostly of Serge on his boat in the ocean, wind blowing and sea spraying.

Very well done.

• 2 weeks later...

For a first submission, i thought this was a very good ReMix. Although, as many of the other posts stated, nothing "new" and groundshaking is done here, but i felt the structure of the ReMix was superb. I don't quite agree with the statement that it's repetitive, although the same melodic line is used with the guitar throughout a majority of the mix, everything else in the song changes and varies consistently throughout the song with a very nice/fluid flow. And the arranging is definitely great! Especially around :50 with the piano break-down chord comping. Great vibe coming out of that portion, with very slick timing and chord voicings (that's the part that put me over the edge to say that this was a "great" remix as opposed to a "relatively good" one) :wink: . Overall, just wanted to say, GREAT FIRST SUBMISSION! Keep it up, I'd love to see more! :D

No matter how many times this song is remixed, they always come out "like butta." This one's mix of piano, ocarina, and hard guitar seems to accentuate the difference in mood Mitsuda used in the original mix, and REALLY gives the "hard" part of the mix a lot of kick. Definitely danceable. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This is probably one of the more concise first submitions. Although short, it provides wonderful sound quality and arrangement. I love the smooth laid back almost jazz-ish feel, with wonderful new chord progressions and harmonies. Instrumentation is great. Marc Star is great at providing short but awesome remixes (except BootyMix, which is longer :P).

Blue

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From the first second of this track, I knew I'd love it. The guitar work is amazing and the rest of first minute is so breezy and relaxing but it keeps you excited and on the edge with this mix of an upbeat undertone and the woodwind instrument. And the rest of it is unforgettable. The piano is amazing. I just love how you took the tune, gave it a general beat and atmosphere and then explored it on different grounds, and by that, I mean instruments and you showed how each of those instruments can interpret the original tune differently but still stay true to the original as well. Really, I'm not sure how much sense that made, but bottom line, this is amazing and I'm struggling to find ways to describe how I feel about it. What more can I say? Keep these coming!

I personally got caught by the teacher humming and whistling this song countless number of times. =P

I rate this mix 10/10

in fact I'm listening to it right now as I post this.

Good job Marc. I expect more remixes like crossfire. You might have a potential as a composer.

• 8 months later...

I have this song set to wake me up in the mornings. It is very easy to listen to. Marc hasn't done that many remixes - but this one has a beat similar to his Wild Arms RosettaRefrain remix. I think Marc has an affinity for this rhythm which is good, because I like it too.

I have to admit that I've never actually heard the original version of CrossFire, but I really do enjoy this remix. That should be testament to the quality of this mix. A lot of songs fly through pure nostalgic value; this one however stands on its own. I hope Marc does some more great ones like this one. Cheers mate!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00917 - Chrono Cross "Cross Fire"