Game Pops - a challenge to your video game music knowlegde

stevencoltrane

I was able to figure out 18 songs.

3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 24, 30, 35, 37 (took me a while before I was able to mentally place it though), 39, 45, 48, and 49.

Edit: Oh, also, 22, but I didn't count it because my girlfriend knew it right away and I was able to figure it out from that, but I had never actually played the game before myself.

and to anyone who likes this kinda thing: http://vgmq.garoux.net/

^much harder more variety, and less chance of cheating occuring. CHz and I have been going at vgmq since it opened...can be quite a challenge at times.

OMG I barely know ANY of those songs >_<. Makes me a bit sad inside, nah just kidding, definitely seems harder considering I only answered one with confidence so far and guessed on one out of about 20 songs so far. All the others I've encountered: no flippin' idea.

I got 13 (26%), but I feel that I should have known 6,32,43, and 49.

7-10 were ridiculously easy for me, but two of those I know like the back of my hand. 24 was a pleasant surprise though.

To Coop: I know what 47 is. I used to play it all the time as a kid. I can't believe you stalled on 3 though. At this point, you don't even have to have played the original game to know it (although I did).

12 songs for me! Although I recognized remixes of about 5 more of them, which I'm sure I could look up on OCR. Man, very nostalgia-tastic! And a third of them sounded like Castlevania songs so I kept typing in "Castlevania 2" *backspace* "3" *backspace* "4"... and Number 18 is really bugging me, I can't stop listening to it and not remembering what this funky goodness is!!!

And I can't believe 16 is on there...! It seems to be a different system than what I played it on too. That game is so bad it's good ;)

And song 36 - I didn't know that game existed! I couldn't stop grinning when I realized where that tune was from, five seconds after the song had finished :mrgreen:

Trouble with 3 and 48??! That's unpossible! 3 especially, as it's been remixed time and time again in newer installments...

But some REAL feedback: All the while I was thinking it'd be cool if games in the same row or column as each other all had something in common - it'd be fun to decipher what these commonalities are, and they'd serve as hints for those songs you just ALMOST know.

Hey,

It's great that you are playing the game and apparently enjoying it. Thanks for the feedbacks! :smile:

I have to admit that it's also fun to read your reactions, already knowing the answers. :mrgreen: When you recognize the song but can't remember the game it's really a pain... but I think this is what makes the game fun, increasing the addictiveness.

Nice.

A surprising amount of Sega's Master System seems to be represented

Some selections that I recalled, I was not expecting, either.

Would I be correct in guessing there are no TG-16 selections, though?

Yeah. Here in Brazil the Master System was a commercial success, with good distribution, games translated to portuguese and even some exclusive titles. I couldn't avoid paying homage. :smile:

You are right, there are no TG-16 selections.

Also, #48 is not using the name of its US release! Had me stumped for the longest time...

Are you sure? I am pretty certain that I've included both Japanese and North-American names, in addition to even some spelling variations. :-?

to whoever made this: 42 is supposed to be one word not 2.

Looks like both the one and two words variants are correct spellings. I've added the one word version. Thanks!

But some REAL feedback: All the while I was thinking it'd be cool if games in the same row or column as each other all had something in common - it'd be fun to decipher what these commonalities are, and they'd serve as hints for those songs you just ALMOST know.

That's a really great feedback. I'll try to implement something like this in future versions. Thank you very much!

I got 23 of 50 46%.

the ones i got were: 3,5,7-10,13,14,17,18,20,22-24,26,28,33,35,39,42,45,48 and 49.

to whoever made this: 42 is supposed to be one word not 2.

and to anyone who likes this kinda thing: http://vgmq.garoux.net/

^much harder more variety, and less chance of cheating occuring. CHz and I have been going at vgmq since it opened...can be quite a challenge at times.

Well, I tried it, but I downloaded five songs and recognised none of them...

Although, I'm kind of curious as to what #28672 is, because I downloaded it, but skipped it later and suddenly couldn't go back...

I got 38%overall i managed to get.

I know most of the Mega Drive ones. really rubbish with the 8 bit machines.

one complaint though.

number 23,41 what is the correct thing i should be typing?

I even went as far as to reference the songs on my computer just to be

certain and the game titles wont work.

Nice test though.

EDIT: i just realised number 33 came out on more than one console with a title resembling the platform in some way...sorry bud.

• 2 weeks later...
Haha, it's nice to be reminded of the Disney Master System games that I used to play with my dad when I was but a lad.

Wait, you mean you played #47 then? Wow, not too many people have played that one as far as I'm aware. While Disney, that game was actually pretty solid and I still enjoy it.

EDIT Apparently 31 is also the same game, just for a different system. Never played that one though.

I got 12 out of 50, so 24%.

A bunch sounded familiar, and I was doing everything in my power not to check out the hints.

Edit: Ok, did the second one too, and am ashamed to say I only got 10% (11,22,29,32,50)...but I know 39 and it won't take my answers, and I know the tunes to both 47 & 48 but can't place the games.