Bad Games and You

Brushfire

I am blessed with the ability to check out games from work so I don't waste my money in the long run. I tend to look for replay value in the majority of my games though :3 I could name many games that require a friend or friends to join you to take the game to its full advantage since my friends lose intrest in games =/ No one will play F-zero with me

But lets take a wack at this.

War Gods (N64) - I had 5 dollars and Blockbuster had it on/for sale. Not worth $0.25.

Samurai Legend Musashi (PS2) - How do you ruin such a awesome adventure/RPG concept such as Brave Fencer Musashi :( Only thing similar between them other then the porting from another world was the annoying main characters voice....*cringe*

Harvest Moon (A Wonderful Life) (GC) - Now one could say this about many Harvest Moon's but damn was it tedious! Stupid agricultural simulators!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Red or Blue) (DS) - I <3 Pokemon and this made my stomach hurt. The story and/or reason you are a pokemon was the only thing that drove me to continue playing... didn't finish it though, Pokemon Pearl/Diamond came out shortly after.

Sonic Adventure DX. Half-assed port of a mediocre platformer? SIGN ME UP! I don't know why I bought this game. I don't even really like Sonic.

Metroid Prime 2 and 3. These are probably the only two highly-reviewed games that I can't stand. It wasn't so much the gameplay I didn't like, but the mood the two games presented just couldn't match the awesome vibe that Prime 1 gave off in every environment you step foot into. Also the scan visor in Prime 2 pissed me off. Why they thought having the entire room emanate a disgustingly bright multicolored glow would be better than the simple icons presented in Prime is beyond me.

Viewtiful Joe. Eh, just didn't click. So it's a side-scroller and you can speed up/slow down time. Yay?

Man, it seems that all those games you hate, I love.

Sonic Adventure 2 is my favorite Sonic game to date.

Metroid Prime 2n3 I love'em to death and VJ was just awesome.

Anyway...

Mario Party 8 is probably da only Mario Party I resent buying, It was fun the first couple of days, but then you get really tired of it.

DRAKAN DRAKAN DRAKAN DRAKAN DRAKAN DRAKAN.

The ONLY decent parts of that game were flying the dragon.

And that clunking sound you made when walking into trees.

*thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk*

And that vomiting sound that one... enemy made.

I bought Shaq Fu a couple weeks ago just because of its infamous status. The control is even worse than the original Resident Evil control scheme. You control like a forklift covered in molasses in January. Your moves do nothing and the computer kicks your ass and grinds it into the ground. Not even RAGE MODE (Shaq's mouth hangs open and he flashes red) makes a dent in your enemy's life bar.

I used to rent Mario is Missing all the time when I was a little kid. I thought it was cool because it was the ONLY mario game I'd played (Pre-SMRPG) where you couldn't run out of time. Years later, I revisited it and wondered what I thought was so great about it... oh yeah...

@ Lord.Roderick.i

Sonic Adventure DX, not SA2. I actually like SA2 a lot. It fixed a lot of the problems from the original. And there's no fucking Big the cat.

Big the cat? Who the frack is that?

Well I always thought that SADX was the same game, but for the NGC. I guess not.

Yeah, SA and SA2 were both originally on the Dreamcast but were ported to the 'cube as SADX and SA2: Battle.

Big was one of the characters in SA. And in a game that was meant entirely to be a high-speed experience, you had to FISH with him. And that's all you did. It wouldn't be all that bad, either, if it didn't feel completely half-assed and pointless. Plus his voiceovers were absolutely atrocious.

Silly Sega and their inability to make a decent 3D Sonic game. Well except for SA2.

Samba De Amigo was really lame.

Crazy Taxi I only got because the storekeep assured me that it was not possible to get bored of the gameplay. He lied; it was VERY possible.

Rayman DS had all the shitty qualities of Rayman 2 plus poorer controls, shittier graphics, and the limitations of a portable platform.

I think that's it.

So much hate goes toward 3D Sonic games.

AND RIGHTFULLY SO!!

DrumUltima mentioned Xbox Sonic(Sonic 2K6). I bought that after playing the demo at the Tokyo Game Show back in 05. I played 3 levels and that was all I could stomach before destroying the disc.

At least the music was kinda good.

Now if only Sonic and the Secret Rings had the soundtrack from Sonic 2K6.

Wow, I've owned a lot of crap games, but I sold many of them so it's hard to remember what they were. Here's what stands out in my mind though:

Soul Calibur 3: I actually enjoyed this game up until I realized that Game Informer wasn't bullshitting me about how the extra single player was crap. But the more I played it, the more I discovered how much the people at Namco hates everyone that plays their games. I have never played cheaper A.I. than that game. EVER. Sold it to a friend who likes fighter games for 30, which was enough to replace the controller I BLEW UP because I was so angry. I loved SC 2, which made this insult even worse.

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time: People rave and rave about this game and it's predecessor, Superstar Saga. Truth is though, I only marginally enjoyed SS, because it had a cool RPG take, and reasonable story. Kind of funny in places, but not as hilarious as it was made out to be. The graphics were absolute butt though, which puzzled me greatly. But it was a GBA game, so I had forgiveness. Partners, however, took all of the cool things from SS, and puked on them. Trite story, no replay-ability at all, the graphics still were shockingly crappy, and the highly toted humor made me chuckle maybe twice. I love slapstick a lot, but it's hard to laugh when it all looks so dang horrid. I think I sold this one to a friend too.

Final Fantasy 3: I picked this up for the DS, because it's one of the few FFs I hadn't played. It was pretty entertaining for a while, but the endgame quickly deteriorates into enemies that can kill you in one hit, even if your at level 70 (which made the necessary grinding feel useless), stupidly long sequences of boss fights, followed by palate swapped bosses-as-creatures that are just as hard as the originals, and then a final boss which can use one hit K.O.s on you for the hell of it. (Although the part where you die and are brought back was clever. Fooled me into turning off the DS in frustration the first time.) The extras they added to the game beyond updated visuals and little FMV sequence at the beginning, were solely wifi based, something I did not approve of given I was sitting on a train while playing it. Sold it and got Professor Layton.

The Lost Vikings 2: The first one rocked. The second one...not so much. Things just got too weird for me to really stick with the game. Got sold by my mom with my SNES, wasn't sad about that one.

Yoshi's Story: Two words: mindless gaming. Sadly, it's still sitting with my other 64 games. I am not proud.

There was this one Madden game for the 64, don't recall which. I owned it for about two months. The game was so bad, that we would just sit and laugh at the horrendous visuals and the fact that we could one run play every time, which would always lead to a touchdown. The funniest part about the game was when the QB would pivot to throw or hand off, because he always floated about a foot from where the ground was supposed to be. One of those "you had to be there" things, I guess. Gave it to my friend, because it wasn't worth selling.

And the ultimate game of shame: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone GBA.

Yes, I bought it with my own money.

Yes, I played it and beat it.

No, don't even ask.

Morrowind, €7,99.

Metroid Prime 2, €59,99.

Megaman Battle Network 3, €49,99.

Capcom Fighting Jam, €15.

Very dissapointed in the first three. I knew the last one was pretty bad, but i didn't expect it to be this blend.

I bought Shaq-fu last week with the intention of destroying the cartridge and uploading it's video.

Tsugunai. What the flying fuck was I thinking? I think i made it past the first hour and got insanely bored with it. Only decent thing about it was Yasunori Mitsuda.

Most of my DS games. Seriously, disappointment abounds. Yeah sure they were all cool when I got them, but I haven't so much as even looked at the system in nearly a year. That might change if SE gets some fucking sense and brings FFIV DS stateside!

Oh, forgot these.

Phantasy Star Online (GCN), €59,99.

PSO was horrible, i traded it the same day for Monkey Ball 2.

Pokemon Stadium, €59,99.

Seriously, is that it? Screw this!

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, €49,99.

Fantastic game, but the store where i bought the game, lowered the price to €15 the very next week....assholes...

Final Fantasy 9, €29,99.

It just didn't click.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (SNES), €20.

Aweful controls, slow paced gameplay, and a difficulty level that is just way to hard.

Unreal 2, €44,95.

Boring game, so very boring.

Soul Calibur 3: I actually enjoyed this game up until I realized that Game Informer wasn't bullshitting me about how the extra single player was crap. But the more I played it, the more I discovered how much the people at Namco hates everyone that plays their games. I have never played cheaper A.I. than that game. EVER. Sold it to a friend who likes fighter games for 30, which was enough to replace the controller I BLEW UP because I was so angry. I loved SC 2, which made this insult even worse.

I enjoyed the single-player arena, and I think the hardest AI I could beat the game without continuing against was the third hardest, whatever that was. One or two notches above "Hard". I'll grant you that the AI is much more challenging than it was in SC2, mainly because it seems that the harder the AI gets, the more it becomes luck of the dice whether or not the computer will instantly read your button inputs and GI or counter with a quicker move. Thus, the only way to beat harder AI's effectively is to read situations and do absolutely nothing but defend and counterattack. Plus it becomes nigh-impossible to throw the opponent because it will tech out of your throws 99.99% of the time, so you can't cheese out the AI that way, either. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though, I like having a difficulty that I can always play knowing I'll have a challenge, unlike SC2, the Guilty Gear games, or MvC2, where I can generally pick up the game after not playing for months and still run straight through the game on the hardest difficulty without a single loss.

Chronicles of the Sword was a steaming pile of dung, however.

... but seriously, who buys a fighting game for the single player, anyway?

Morrowind, €7,99.

=( I am sad. Morrowind was a great game for me...run around do whatever the hell you want, then when you're satisfied you can go ahead and go on with the main storyline...some people say it's better than oblivion, but I dunno...but i still thought it was at least decent.

anyway for now, I only got one game..

the Witcher - I know, you might think I'm crazy or stupid for saying morrowind is good and the witcher is bad. Well i got the game expecting an rpg where it requires more than just a mouse to play. I didn't really like the leveling system either. Geralt does look kind of badass, and he does have sex with just about anyone with two legs, but I just didn't catch on to the whole idea.

Mappy Land (NES)

Tengen's Rolling Thunder (NES)

My Smash Bros cart stopped working and a friend of mine was willing to give me his since he had gotten the band new Melee version. The only thing was that I had to take his entire bag of N64 games. I got a few gems, but got a lot of games for this thread.

Diddy Kong Racing

Pokemon Stadium

Quest 64

Flying Dragon

Pokemon Snap

Superman

I've bought or been given some pretty bad games in my life, so here's one of the more recent ones:

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground - Last one I played was THUG2, which was enjoyable if basically the same game as the preceeding ones. This game proves (haha) that consistency is what makes this franchise work, because all the new elements here are awful. The choppiness was such a downgrade from the smoothness of the early PS2 versions. The new balance meters are really unhelpful. The worst part was the Matrix-like slow-mo crap, which totally halts the action and is so damn hard to control! I spent about half an hour trying to do the tutorial before giving up. I think that was a boon. I'd probably have wasted more time on the game before coming to the same conclusion.