Lost Odyssey Soundtrack, anyone?

Thornquist

Yeah, so, like most people here, im a big Nobuo Uematsu fan.

Which led me to go get the Lost Odyssey soundtrack (which he composed). Of course it also hyped me to buy the game, but with the mixed reviews, well, im still considering.

So anyway, im not gotten all trough it yet, but this certainly is a good VG soundtrack, I'd say its not as good as some of the Final Fantasy soundtracks (which in my opinion peaked at VI and VII), but I wasnt honestly expecting it either.

Id love to give track names out there, but its all in Japanese, so Im stuck with the track numbers :tomatoface:

As of now, its mostly track 10 that cought me, which I think is the main theme of the game. It starts of with gitars in the background, and flutes carrying the song, and mandolins coming in, it goes all electric guitar halfway trough also, sweet!

Anyway, if anyone got an english tracklist, please share, Im starting to get a little tired of constantly browsing the whole soundtrack to find that song I loved.

So, anyone else got any toughts and opinions about the Soundtrack?

I'm 5 hours in and I'm really enjoying the game and its soundtrack so far. "Uhra" starts off with a very slow and somber piano melody, then becomes all ethnic. Very nice. However, the track which I'm enjoying the most so far is the one that plays in the mountains, "Epsilon Range" if I'm not mistaken. Man, that track is very chill. Love the guitars.

In my mind there is only one really cringe-worthy piece in the whole soundtrack. I won't spoil it, but those who have gotten that far know exactly what I'm talking about.

I thought about this for a little while, and I think I know exactly what you mean...yeah, that was the only piece that I was like wtf about. It was completely out of place and felt tacked onto the game.

Thanks alot Liontamer.

Anyway, gotten trough it all now, and can recommend some songs for listening.

Neverending Journey (which was the one I was talkin about earlier)

An Enemy Appears! (the battle theme, exactly the way we've come to love)

Theme of the Pirates (holy crap this reminds me of the intro to Mario Kart 64 xD)

Dark Saint (another battle theme, this one starts of with a awesome piano solo)

Howl of the Departed (Lost Odysseys "One Winged Angel", if you can survive the choir intro, this song is worth a listen)

I thought the orchestra they used sounded typical of a small studio orchestra the Japanese often employ for anime soundtracks, but then I looked at the credits and apparently they have this Mahlerian-sized orchestra listed. So either they used different musicians for different recording sessions, or they need to find a better recording studio. For example, they list 25 musicians for brass alone!!

Another explanation is that in order to book the orchestra they had to pay/credit everyone in it (unionized?) even if 3/4 of the brass players didn't have to show up (but they would anyway, just sit there and not play.)

This soundtrack has reaffirmed to me that Nobuo Uematsu still has it, and has it good. I really think this is his best work since the old classic days of FF6/7. Delightfully, I must retract my former opinion that his work has been on the decline. :)

And in addition to all his typical beauty, wow, Battle Conditions is just rockin'. Makes me wanna show what this hair can do. \m/

Has anyone noticed little musical snippets that cameo from Uematsu's other games?

So far, I've only noticed that the melody to "A Tiny Memory" is quite reminiscent of Final Fantasy 4 "Hey, Cid". Of course, compose so much music over so many years, and there are only so many notes... perhaps it's more coincidence than cameo. But has anyone else noticed other "borrowed phrases" like this in Lost Odyssey?