Lsdj and GB Micro

Dafydd

I'm starting to want a gameboy micro, and some kind of cartridge that allows me to play lsdj (there doesn't seem to be a way to buy an actual lsdj cartridge). I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience whatsoever with this stuff - flash cartridges, especially in combination with the gameboy micro, experience with the gameboy micro in general, or any other relevant info... e.g. "don't buy that" or "this one is better than that one because", etc.

I'm starting to want a gameboy micro, and some kind of cartridge that allows me to play lsdj (there doesn't seem to be a way to buy an actual lsdj cartridge). I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience whatsoever with this stuff - flash cartridges, especially in combination with the gameboy micro, experience with the gameboy micro in general, or any other relevant info... e.g. "don't buy that" or "this one is better than that one because", etc.

Do you have to use the original gameboy or GBMicro? Because the GBA can play every game from all the old GBs.

The GB micro can't play the old games, unfortunately. Only the small cartridges (GBA). But I'd still much rather have a micro than a GBA. I think lsdj will work on any kind of gameboy as long as it's on a cartridge that's compatible with the machine - so I need to find out which cartridges are compatible with the micro...

If anyone has used a gb micro and had issues with it of any kind (other than the one stated above), I'd be interested in hearing about them, too.

I haven't played on one before, but I haven't heard very good things about them. They are (obviously) VERY small, which can cause problems for anyone with normal- to large-sized hands. Make sure you try one out for a while before you commit. The screen is smaller, which some people have complained about. It does have a backlit screen that is somewhat brighter than the old-model GBA SPs, but not nearly as bright as the newer models. Also, it has a headphone slot (as opposed to the slot-free SP). The power charger is unique to the Micro, so whatever you do, don't lose it. It's nearly impossible to find Micro accessories these days.

You can buy one used from Gamestop for $35, or new for $70. I'm sure there's better deals out there, but it might take some work or patience. I know lots of stores still have them collecting dust on the shelves, so any day now, there should be a massive price drop.

As for lsjd, I have no idea.

I've got a micro, and I love the thing. The screen is smaller, but so what, whatever you play on it looks beautiful because the screen is so good. The only problem I've had with mine is that the L shoulder button stops working after a while... just like on the SP. I really don't know what it is with Nintendo and shoulder buttons on their handhelds, I've had to replace a DS Lite because it had a faulty shoulder button too. I actually enjoyed my Micro so much, I went out and bought a second one, they're only 50 bucks at Wal-Mart. Problem is, after class one day I pulled out my new one, to find out the screen was cracked... still have no idea how it happened, and it just sits in my desk now, I did take the battery out of it so I had a spare, lol.

Really, I love the Micro, It's a great system, it just should have been marketed more/better.

I've got two LSDJ cartridges, home flashed, from http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/copiers/copiers.htm .. took a few tries to get the game on the cart and there are limitations (only one copy of the game per cart, not multiple as with some) but it's stable for me. I'm runing them on clasic brick gameboys and sometimes on my GBA SP for the backlit screen, but whenever I record I use the old bricks.

My advice is that you DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE GAMEBOY MICRO :3

the classic gameboy (brick) has waaaay better sound, really. Or a modified Gameboy Color, prosound mod. Google it :)

If you desperately want the backlit screen, sure, but make sure the cartridge you choose is compatible. Many GBA flash carts doesn't support .gb and some emulators (goomba for example) works, but not 100%, which makes it hard when it comes to sound. I recommend using GBA SP because it can play GB cartridges with will broaden your backup options and compatibility. Also you'll need a GB or GBC to use a dual-gameboy set-up with link cable, I'm pretty sure.

This page is your friend in any case: http://wiki.littlesounddj.com/FrontPage

good luck

I find the prosound mod a little expensive. Personally, I don't really care about being able to play old gb games, since if I buy a micro I'll be using a cartridge that has a gb emulator built-in anyway. As far as sound is concerned, I won't be using the thing for live performances or anything, and I can always borrow someone else's brick for recording. I'm more concerned with being able to back things up, and what I really want is something handy to just pick up and start making music with while riding the bus or something. Plus, I think it'd be cool to use the sound features of the gba, not just the original gb, if I used nanoloop or if I wanted to try my hand at making my own gba game (I hear it's a lot easier than making one for the original game boy...).

The shoulder button issue worries me though. Is that sort of stuff covered by warranty? Is it still possible to buy a game boy micro with warranty? They don't sell them at all in stores over here, but I found someone who sells them and mails them for roughly 70 bucks, new. The only "reliable" seller I've found sells them for more than twice that money. I'm going overseas in the summer though, maybe I should wait until then. If you feel like being really nice, if you live in the US, maybe the next time you go somewhere they sell this kind of stuff you could ask if they sell any... I tried the links from the official site and they all said they were out of stock.

I guess trying the thing before buying it is a good advice, but I don't know where to find one to try without actually buying one... hehe.

I find the prosound mod a little expensive. Personally, I don't really care about being able to play old gb games, since if I buy a micro I'll be using a cartridge that has a gb emulator built-in anyway. As far as sound is concerned, I won't be using the thing for live performances or anything, and I can always borrow someone else's brick for recording. I'm more concerned with being able to back things up, and what I really want is something handy to just pick up and start making music with while riding the bus or something. Plus, I think it'd be cool to use the sound features of the gba, not just the original gb, if I used nanoloop or if I wanted to try my hand at making my own gba game (I hear it's a lot easier than making one for the original game boy...).

The shoulder button issue worries me though. Is that sort of stuff covered by warranty? Is it still possible to buy a game boy micro with warranty? They don't sell them at all in stores over here, but I found someone who sells them and mails them for roughly 70 bucks, new. The only "reliable" seller I've found sells them for more than twice that money. I'm going overseas in the summer though, maybe I should wait until then. If you feel like being really nice, if you live in the US, maybe the next time you go somewhere they sell this kind of stuff you could ask if they sell any... I tried the links from the official site and they all said they were out of stock.

I guess trying the thing before buying it is a good advice, but I don't know where to find one to try without actually buying one... hehe.

how's prosound mod expensive? O.O you do it yourself! http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/prosound/

the thing with gb emulators is that they do not always support LSDJ and if they do emulation can be sketchy. also, if you're putting the thing on a GBA flashcart you can't use someone elses brick for recording.. old gameboys don't do the cha-cha with GBA carts ;)

You can back up your saves from a GB cart too, google it or check the wiki link.

I hope you're used to trackers if you want something to just pick up and make music with :3

Heh, ok, yeah, the prosound mod seems simple enough... you still need a gameboy though, and right now I have none. And I'd rather have a new one.

I might settle for something older though... if it's insanely cheap. I might be able to use an old GBA from a friend rather than buy my own.

But let's say I go with an old brick. What can I use then? What options do I have? Is there any way I could get more than one game/rom (e.g. lsdj+nanoloop) on the same cart? Preferrably one that doesn't require a special docking station for flashing, but rather USB or memory card based.

Heh, ok, yeah, the prosound mod seems simple enough... you still need a gameboy though, and right now I have none. And I'd rather have a new one.

I might settle for something older though... if it's insanely cheap. I might be able to use an old GBA from a friend rather than buy my own.

But let's say I go with an old brick. What can I use then? What options do I have? Is there any way I could get more than one game/rom (e.g. lsdj+nanoloop) on the same cart? Preferrably one that doesn't require a special docking station for flashing, but rather USB or memory card based.

you're asking for much. remember, no one has cared for GB for a looong time, USB was NOT an option :/ I'm sorry to say this but there's no easy way out. if you find something on the wiki-site about what GBA software/hardware is compatible I say go with that. it's not as much hassle but it's not the real deal, though it doesn't seem to bother you that much. In that way I'm pretty sure you can use nanoloop too..

Are you gonna buy this software btw? you should. support the chipmusic scene and all ;)

Are you gonna buy this software btw? you should. support the chipmusic scene and all ;)

Lsdj was only $0.01 last time I checked. So yeah, I'm definitely buying that. Haha :lmassoff:

why would you get anything other than the classic GB?

Because a brick, as the name implies, is heavy and bulky. Its monitor also isn't very good. There's a reason nintendo keeps making new kinds of gameboys, you know, and it's not only to make money.

Lsdj was only $0.01 last time I checked. So yeah, I'm definitely buying that. Haha :lmassoff:

Because a brick, as the name implies, is heavy and bulky. Its monitor also isn't very good. There's a reason nintendo keeps making new kinds of gameboys, you know, and it's not only to make money.

Wow, Johan stopped taking a fair ammount of dollar for it? I hope you're going to donate too :o

but the brick is the gameboy most suitable for using with LSDJ. Gameboy color with prosound mod is the best option if you want a good monitor, reliability and good sound then. You can probably pick an old GBC from your friends for less than $10

Before you go crazy with the GB flashcart and soldering iron, I think you might want to check out a comparison and listen for yourself.

I ended up deciding that the difference really wasn't worth the trouble. So it's EZFlash 3-in-1 + Goomba LSDj for me.

Disclaimer: The EZFlash route is only practical if you have: 1) A DS and 2) a DS flashcard. So keep that in mind. But mainly my point was that GBA flashcarts are in fact a viable alternative. A DS and flashcard are great investments in general though, in my opinion.

Wow, I never even knew that the Gameboy Micro existed before I read this thread. I've been thinking about getting a handheld system for bus/train trips and this seems to fufill my main requirement: cost. I do have a few questions regarding using a flash cartridge to upload ROMs.

1.) The cartridge I was looking at, Extreme Flash Advance, said that all you had to do was drag and drop the ROM onto the cartridge like it was an external drive and you would be good to go. What if you are putting NES or GB roms onto the cartridge, will it still run?

2.) I didnt see anything about SNES emulation. Does it work with on a GBA or no.

3.) I'm 6'4, so I have massive hands. Can anyone here tell me about their experiences with the micro being too small?

It's a shame about SNES emulation, but at least a lot of the better games have already been ported to the GBA.

I dont find the cost difference between the SP and the Micro to be that prohibitive, as I was searching ebay and am pretty confidant that I can pick up a micro for less than 40 bucks if I am content to wait a little.

About emulating GB and NES games, I'm assuming I'd be using one specifically designed for the GBA. Does the emulation run well, or are there often bugs and other problems involved?

NES emulation is excellent via PocketNes, though the sceen scaling is somewhat annoying (but still quite playable). GB/C emulation is in quite passable condition as well via GoomBA Color

However, from what I've read, LSDJ may or may not work with GoomBA Color depending on whether or not the suggested changes in This Thread were ever incorperated (there was one of the older versions of LSDJ that was made to work with GoomBA regardless of that issue). One think to note, however, the sound quality will always be subpar with GoomBA, because the emulator passes sound information directly to the GBA's sound processor, but I am no audiophile myself and I can hardly tell the difference.

Also, as far as GBA flashcarts go, I would suggest getting This one or This one.

These are only capable of running GBA roms, but in a previouse post, I said that you can emulate GB on it using GoomBA Color with very good results. Also, because the emulator doesan't use gameboy color/mono hardware, it will work on the Gameboy Micro/NDS.

Unfortunatly, if you ever want something that can run Gameboy mono/color games nativly, it'll cost you an arm and a leg, as nobody is manufacturing them anymore.

I have a GB Micro and i have big hands no discomfort whatsoever, hitting L+R isnt a dificult task either.

The only thing id say is that after about a year of use the "R" button it becam really unresponsive. It would still make that audible "click" but no function until i bashed the console a bit. Im not sure what casued it,but be cautiuos of that.

Unfortunatly, if you ever want something that can run Gameboy mono/color games nativly, it'll cost you an arm and a leg, as nobody is manufacturing them anymore.

I dont know where you live but in england used gameboys and gameboy colours are as cheap as chips...literally.

Carts on the other hand can cost anything i suppose.

• 5 months later...

For all you budding nintendocore chiptune enthusiasts, I've been toying with gamesboys as of late.

I have a load of gameboys with prosound outputs that I have fitted myself. They are internal mods so no floppy cables to worry about, I have not destroyed the earphone output nor have I sacrificed the speaker function! Unlike many others in which the speaker is sacrificed.

I have cleaned the inside of the consoles, the buttons and also fitted a new screen lense so it's not scratched at all, the lense comes with a plastic film on so you can peel that off whenever you feel you need to.

I have a lot of availble colours at varying prices.

Grey - £50

Yellow - £55

Red - £60

Black - £65

Blue Rare - £80

Green Rare - £80

You can choose the colour of the power LED on the gameboy I would recommend matching the console colour to the power LED colour, and in the case of Black and Grey I prefer the blue however you may want to stick to the original red. It is your choice!

Due to rarity I am offering cartridges with LSDj on OR nanoloop for £30 each. Johan Kotlinski the copyright holder for LSDj has agreed that I may do this. He asks that you donate to his site http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/ details are at the bottom.

I am selling link cables to connect the two for £5 each.

I can also make LSDj keyboards, these are computer keyboards that are able to attach to the gameboy console and control the music sets etc.

I am selling these for £15 each.

Keep your eyes peeled as I am currently making sychronising boxes. that can synch 2 gameboys and other midi hardware for example connected to your sequencer or a drum machine!

I've just started making backlit gameboys, that look really really clear! The speaker hums a little (honestly a lot of gameboy have the speaker hum anyway). YOu should note that most prosound mods destroy the speaker anyway! If you want the speaker to have a switch to switch it on and off it's up to you. The prices of the backlit units are just the same as above + £100. Here's a vid I uploaded last night:

If you are interested in anything or want me to make something please drop me an email to neilmdave@hotmail.com, or bell me at 07716515450.

I'm usually in or around London so I can meet you, it's against the policy of the site to deal in non face to face deals however if you wish to send me a cheque or pay into my paypal account that would be fine. My paypal account is fully verified.

Happy chiptune times.