Wave Race 64 race-complete-tunes remix

AkumajoBelmont

Hiya Peoples!!!

obfg <<< WIP 4 (4/7/08)

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/wvpoints.mid <<<<<<< SOURCE TUNE

*I'm looking for a vocalist for this one... someone who feels comfortable with the disco style... gender doesn't matter. Must have access to decent voice recording equipment :D

This is something I started working on today.... It's a remix of the tunes that play when you finish a race ... there are 4 variations of the one musical motif for each place... I plan to incorporate all 4 into this remix eventually.

It's in a style that is close to my heart... it's very Italo-Disco, via the brits, circa 1987-ish. My favourite pop music machine, the british Stock Aiken and Waterman pioneered this take on the Euro-disco music scene, and I've always loved it cheesiness and driving mid-tempo rhythms.

Anyway, so here's my first WIP !!!

I'm still in the process of writing lyrics, but I can say they will be pretty cheesy and generic :D .. The synth that comes in at 1:06 in the chorus is playing the lead melody I'd like for the vocal, just for a rough idea.

It's a bit repetitive at the moment, but one there's vocals in there, it'll sound way better. Not to mention when I incorporate the other themes into it. The intro sucks and is very basic... this *WILL* change. It's Intro-Chorus-Verse1-Chorus-Verse2-Chorus-Perc Sect

at the moment. Not the final order, so things will change.. As I said, I only started on this today.

Enjoy, and I hope to hear from any potential collaborators soon!!!

-Robbie.

Well, this isn't gonna be useful, just encouraging. I don't have any production issues to rant about, and as for repetition, the lyrics will likely take care of all that. You've hit spot on my idea of disco. Source is used enough, and while a similar genre, there's enough new stuff (not to mention the lyrics soon to come) that go beyond. Rock on! I mean, disco forever! Or whatever's appropriate.

I might spot something in how the lyrics mesh with the rest, but for now, I've got nothing to say. Great job on production, hilarious choice of genre, arrangement is great.

Well, this isn't gonna be useful, just encouraging. I don't have any production issues to rant about, and as for repetition, the lyrics will likely take care of all that. You've hit spot on my idea of disco. Source is used enough, and while a similar genre, there's enough new stuff (not to mention the lyrics soon to come) that go beyond. Rock on! I mean, disco forever! Or whatever's appropriate.

I might spot something in how the lyrics mesh with the rest, but for now, I've got nothing to say. Great job on production, hilarious choice of genre, arrangement is great.

Thanks man :D :D :D

Disco has a very special place in my heart haha... especially this style! Thanks for your comments man... much appreciated! :D

i swore within the first few seconds i swore i was going to hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

i think i felt that because of the synth toms and the synth brass, which do sound very similar, not a bad thing just totally made me laugh. i half expected to hear, "we're no strangers to love" come in.

everything sounds great production wise, and kinda gives me the feel of waverace with the arppegiating synth that comes in every once in a while.

i wish i could comment on the arrangement but i'm not rememebering the original right now.

i certainly enjoyed.

i swore within the first few seconds i swore i was going to hear this:

*INSERT RICK ASTLEY*

i think i felt that because of the synth toms and the synth brass, which do sound very similar, not a bad thing just totally made me laugh. i half expected to hear, "we're no strangers to love" come in.

Yeah, Stock, Aiken Waterman produced him ... That's the style I'm trying to nail hahaha! So, I guess that's mission accomplished then :D :D :D

ktjg <<<< [WIP-1 with DUMMY VOCALS]

In the interest of those looking for an idea of what the vocals will be like, I've knocked up a version with some dummy vocals I've just recorded.

(and again, I wanna stress, I'm looking for a vocalist for this song... someone who is comfortable with the style.)

Lyrically it's cheese, but i really don't think deeper lyrics would really sit with the overall style. So yeah, there's dummy vox in there now. They are absolutely nothing flash and very basic; it was literally a 5 min job. I've repeated the first verse for the second verse at the moment, as I haven't written the second verse yet.

Lyrics are as follows:

VERSE 1:

Turn around

I have never seen you before,

But I'd like to get to know you some more.

You're straight out of a fantasy

I can feel the heat between us

(you're the one that I see right now)

let me tell you something

Move a little bit closer and just

rock with me oh yeah

(you're the one that I need right now)

this time I know it's for real.

Together we can blow this night away.

CHORUS:

I've got my head in the clouds

I'm jumping around

You're love's got me tumbling upside down.

Nobody can do, the things that you do

I've made the change

And it all comes back to you .

This is awesome dude. Wave64 wtf what inspired this mix. :) This reminds of the early 80's and 90's.

Excellent work on the vocals, especially on the FX.

The vocals sit in the mix very well, but I think it's at the exepense of the other elements. Maybe try panning and stereo image some of the drums and background elements to give them a little more space.

Some slight rhythm guitar would def add some nice spice to this.

It's awesome. technically, I don't think the J's are gonna have any big problems with this, once the real vocals are done. I'd be surprised if this gets rejected for any production issues.

CHORUS:

I've got my head in the clouds

I'm jumping around

You're love's got me tumbling upside down.

Nobody can do, the things that you do

I've made the change

And it all comes back to you .

I think "Nobody can do, the things that you do to me" makes a bit more sense and sounds better, at least to me. Overall, the lyrics work very well with the track. I've got nothing useful to say anymore, just that I like it. :D

I really enjoyed this. Don't hear much stuff like this around OCR. I'm definitely fond of the 90s pop sound - reminds me of Pet Shop Boys or Eternal...or really any number of the soulful pop artists who were around at the time. Or if you wanted a video game comparison -- Sonic R. You hit the nail on the head stylistically ;) harmonically nothing needed doing at all for this transition, and it really works well. Simple but effective.

I sequenced a Wave Race midi recently too, so this is good timing :D still in vgmusic's new-files right now.

Looking forward to seeing this complete and (let's hope) on the main page.

EDIT: oh you know what else it reminds me of? Ultimate Kaos. haaaahaaaahaaa etc.

• 4 months later...

UPDATED! :D

obfg <<< WIP 4

Okies, I finally have an update. I've completely remixed this bugger, levels wise... new samples, a FANTASTIC new kick and it's now longer. Haven't quite figured out the bridge section yet, but it's there. The mix is missing stuff:- verse 2 still hasn't been recorded, so it still repeats verse 1. It's still missing the guitar I would like in there. But the focus of this update was more level changes and the like.

ENJOY! :D

Your S's are cutting my eardrums. Other sounds too, but it's most painful with sibilants. Use a de-esser or similar effect to drop the sharpness of your voice. It could just be my headphones, but it's worth a little work regardless, as not everyone's gonna listen to this on good headphones or studio monitors.

I've come to realize how to listen to stereo positioning and distance and stuff like that in mixes. The voice is either too loud or it needs to be just a little bit later. Or both. Some stereo effect would be great for the other voices, a little bit of panning would be the simplest.

Can't remember production from before, but it sounds good to me (with the exception of the voice). If it's an improvement, it went from great to greater.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...