Zelda Reorchestrated latest track - Would this get a "YES" from OCR?

SwordBreaker

http://www.zreomusic.com/

http://www.zreomusic.com/music/symphony/II.MemoriesOfKakariko-320.mp3

As some of you may know, ZREO mostly covers Zelda music, not remix it. But they've been diversifying recently. I've been a huge fan of the project ever since its inception, and I was very impressed with this recent release of their "Open Symphony" project, which is a remix of Kakariko Village. The samples are excellent, the somber tune is so well done, and the way the remixer integrated a part of the "Clocktown" riff is flawless.

I'm hoping that they would submit this track to OCR for more exposure, since I'm pretty sure that the judges will dig it. :)

I've listened to their stuff for a while and I agree, their work is fantastic. Don't really care if they're covers, though. Some of them were so reworked you couldn't call it "just a copy". Like the Shadow Temple. It was so tweaked I'd call it an actual remix. The song you've suggested is more like a song and a half, wouldn't that count as a remix? Anyway, I know that if I were a judge, I'd totally yes this.

Anyway, I know that if I were a judge, I'd totally yes this.

Not based on OCR site standards you wouldn't. Being a judge here isn't about whether or not you like a piece, or even how good it is. It's about whether the piece fits the standards. I didn't listen closely, but heard enough to agree with the other posters here as to why this remix likely wouldn't get a yes.

I've listened to their stuff for a while and I agree, their work is fantastic. Don't really care if they're covers, though. Some of them were so reworked you couldn't call it "just a copy". Like the Shadow Temple. It was so tweaked I'd call it an actual remix. The song you've suggested is more like a song and a half, wouldn't that count as a remix? Anyway, I know that if I were a judge, I'd totally yes this.

Which is precisely why you'll never be a judge. :roll:

Aside from the fact that it's a cover, there are a lot of balance issues between instruments, especially when flute and oboe attempt harmony and countermelodies. Too crowded.

The samples really aren't that great either; they're only about as good as the ones I use. But like I said, without the attention paid to balance between voices, they don't really deliver as well as they could.

So no, it probably would not get a YES from OCR judges. It's not a production, it's an arrangement with some serviceable samples.

Wow...tough crowd. I was so sure you guys would like this.

Anyway, I can understand the arguments about the samples...I think they sound pretty good overall, but I'm not an expert on that. Melody-wise, I really don't see why you think it's a cover, Darke. It sounds somewhat different from all the Kakariko melodies throughout the series, and the fact that it perfectly integrates part of Majora's Mask "Clocktown" riff scores extra points with me. Sure it's not the most liberal arrangement in the world, but it's pretty good.

Oh, well. We can argue about this all day. I still love this track. Too bad it'll miss out on OCR, 'cause I think the arranger was interested in submitting or something.

Eh?

Wasn't this the same guy who got shot down for being found guilty for ripping off midi samples and just replacing the instruments with his own garritan samples?

There was a whole debacle of it on the forum of another site who I think used to host the website.

Oh yeah, now I remember -- he had a donations link on his website, which had him taking credit for the work of the midi writers. There was quite large ruckus over the net as well.

Anyone else remember this?