PRC115: No Monkeying Around! (Donkey Kong Country 2)

Rexy

The People's Remix Competition 115

PRCv5-11

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! PRC114 had a late start, but its Fire Emblem related contest sparked up a decent turnout regardless with a quant trio of entries being submitted for it. And once again, you guys wanted yours truly to pick a source tune. Don't worry, I've got it covered.

We are still with established Nintendo franchises, albeit I've got a killer. Maybe aside from Super Mario World, we are looking into one of the greatest SNES platformers ever made. And you can't even resist it when there's monkeys involved now, can't you?

prc115.png

If there's anyone that's been here from back at PRC53, you can understand that Donkey Kong was a big deal to me when I was a kid. I went through the entire Land trilogy on the GameBoy and later started emulating the Country set, and saw a beautifully crafted set of platformers from Rare that seemed to end up ranking as one of the most creative sets of platformers I saw from Nintendo at the time. Heck, it even kicked back in again when I re-downloaded the second title through the Wii Virtual Console around the New Year and when re-looking at it again I was in love once more.

Dave Wise's music has generally been inspirational to quite a lot of remixing personnel out here. With a project based on the first game out and plenty of contributions for the second (with most done by Protricity >.>) we can see that his score is not only fun to listen to but pretty awesome to interpret at the same time.

There are few DKC2 tracks gone untouched, but I felt the one I picked for this contest is one of the more melodic of those untouched works, and has enough going on to have been warranted a remix sooner rather than later. I hope you all appreciate this well enough; no monkeying around this week!

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Donkey Kong Rescued (End Credits)

MIDI | MP3 | SPC

Is it me or has Nintendo gaming generally been the ways of success for the PRC over the past 2 months? We need to keep up the feat :D

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SUNDAY, March 9th at 4:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part but their vote will be doubled.

Doulifée's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifée, and we'll help you out.

Sweet!

Siggy for anyone who feels like advertising:

DKC2PRC.png

[[color=red][size=4]•[/color][/size]url=http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15002][[color=red][size=4]•[/color][/size]IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/sawdead/DKC2PRC.png[/IMG][/url]

Just take out the s and you'll be set. I really wish the "code" code actually worked here...

Two VGMix tracks and another at Newgrounds? :\

Well, I do appreciate your attempt to stand me corrected, but you know how OCR feels over the whole "interpretation and lack thereof" issue that we see here. I haven't listend to Zero Bass's attempt though, but given my lack of impression on some of his other works I don't think I'll be game to see much of an improvement.

Hmm, I don't think I'll be able to finish mine in time (and it's not really a WiP at the moment anyway, just a bunch of stuff thrown together) but maybe I could give one final shot at it tonight or tomorrow to piece something half-decent together. I doubt I can get it done in timet hough, and that's only if I find a way to be online Sunday anyways.

The mixing stage is over. Now it's time to get with the voting. There are three mixes here, so this is what you're going to do.

You should go to the ThaSauce page and fill out the form so that you arrange the mixes from first to third, with a reasoning attached to it. Contestants are encouraged to vote as they will get 3 extra points if they do so. The winner of PRC114 (that's me!) will have their vote doubled. You have until Wednesday, March 12th at 4:59AM EST to make your decision. The winner gets to choose the source material for PRC116!

Chickenwarlord - Diddy's Done It!

Knives - Why Do Gorillas Have Big Nostrils

Sir Nuts - All for Bananas

Aaah! I forgot that you Americans already put your clocks forward, so I might as well be prompt with the results of this compo. Just you wait til WE put our clocks forward as well... eh, nevermind.

Total number of mixes - 3

Total number of votes - 5

Highest possible score - 15

Chickenwarlord receives yet another last place wooden spoon with 7 points.

Knives picked his nose (o_O) all the way to second place with 9 points.

And the winner by an unanimous decision is Sir Nuts with 15 points!

Welcome back to the PRC clan, Mr. Molina. Now that you managed to take your first win in quite a while, it's time to push you to make your selection on the source tune for PRC116. I doubt I'd be on MSN much for this week due to healing a dental injury, but please send me a source tune when you've got one.

Hopefully if things go down well, we should at least get PRC ready for this coming Friday. Be there, gentlemen!

Knives picked his nose (o_O) all the way to second place with 9 points.

ha ha ha. I'm not all too disappointed with my loss, I don't know a damn thing about how to compose or produce trance or house, and I put my remix together in a couple of days' worth of spare free time. Sir Nuts' was really good though, he probably would have won regardless.

Hey, don't worry about it. I thought you didn't do too bad for your first time through, and I'm sure the bits and pieces will be picked up with practice. I hope you participate in the future.

(The picking the nose part wasn't meant to degrade you or anything; I just took your mix title and description on the C:TS page, put two and two together and saw it that way. :P)