Donkey Kong Country 2: Serious Monkey Business - History

Geoffrey Taucer

Am I serious?

THIS

IS

OCREMIIIIIIIIIIIIIX and around here we don't care much for sticking to the original genre. In fact, it's almost frowned upon by some. Myself, I can definitely see Mining Melancholy as a rap remix. I did't know that's what it was going to be, but hearing what I imagine it to sound like in my head I'm liking it already. I have to agree though, I have a hard time imagining the Flying Krock as a ballad. It's so dissonant and it hardly even has a melody. I don't know if any genre other than orchestral horror movie music (i.e. the original genre) would fit there.

Removing the rap from a rap song won't necessarily make it not rap, by the way.

As long as the remix retains the original feel of the actual song, then I don't see why not.

For example, Boss battle music is really epic and powerful, so I usually expect to see something Metal or upbeat, whereas a song like In A Snow Bound Land (that IS the ice level music, right?) is very soothing, so I expect a piano or jazz rendition. But I'm not restricting these by genre. If the genre can still retain that original feel from the song while still being able to differentiate from the source in an original and well-composed manner, sure. I wouldn't see a Rap song of Crocodile Cacophony being able to keep the original feel, but we have some excellent talent here at OCR, so I'm not going to say it's impossible; surely it can be done!

Plus, Exor, some people here are willing to take creative risks and push those musical limits, so you can at least appreciate that aspect of Mining Melancholy being a Rap remix.

I wouldn't care if it were Paul McCartney delivering the vocals, I just have an adverse reaction to arrangements of instrumental tracks that tack on vocals for the sake of conforming to a societal craving for lyrical music. Mining Melancholy = Rap? Are you serious?

A jazz arrangement? I can see that. A latin arrangement? Sure, it fits. Rap? Where in the good name of David Wise did that idea stem from? Next, let's transform the Flying Krock music into a romantic pop ballad.

I want Paul McCartney to sing Flying Krok as a ballad. Someone get on the phone to England.

I just have an adverse reaction to arrangements of instrumental tracks that tack on vocals for the sake of conforming to a societal craving for lyrical music.

zyko is allowed to like rap without being accused of social conformity you know. In fact I'll bet you're the first person to ever accuse zyko of any kind of conformity.

People make music because its what they want, not what anyone else wants. Its called creative license, it means you won't like everything. Shame that, maybe you could make your own remix without vocals to fulfill your need? (Its how I got started. There was a lack of a rock version of a song I liked, not everybody liked it)

I wouldn't care if it were Paul McCartney delivering the vocals, I just have an adverse reaction to arrangements of instrumental tracks that tack on vocals for the sake of conforming to a societal craving for lyrical music. Mining Melancholy = Rap? Are you serious?

Are you serious? Don't you think that maybe zyko just wanted to a rap version because that's what the music inspired him to do, rather than "tack[ing] on vocals for the sake of conforming to a societal craving for lyrical music?"

Did you talk to zyko? Did he say to you, "Sup nigga, this DKC2 mix? I'm going to tack on vocals for the sake of conforming to a societal craving for lyrical music. Shit yeah."

How preposterous.

Please refrain from assuming the intentions of the artist. It's rude. If you have an "adverse reaction" to the human voice, maybe you should just skip the track. :whatevaa:

...I just have an adverse reaction to arrangements of instrumental tracks that tack on vocals for the sake of conforming to a societal craving for lyrical music.

That is incredibly presumptuous. I don't give a damn what society wants. I prefer to produce vocal music because I find it to be more exciting than producing instrumental music. I'm totally cool with what you like (or don't like) in video game remixes. Just don't assume that the musicians here include original vocals because they're trying to conform to society.

Oh, and just so you all know my "Hot-Head Bop" remix has vocals.

That is incredibly presumptuous. I don't give a damn what society wants. I prefer to produce vocal music because I find it to be more exciting than producing instrumental music. I'm totally cool with what you like (or don't like) in video game remixes. Just don't assume that the musicians here include original vocals because they're trying to conform to society.

Oh, and just so you all know my "Hot-Head Bop" remix has vocals.

Hooray for not listening to those who can't respect music as a creative art. By the way, may I ask who is singing (or rapping because there's nothing wrong with that) the vocals?

The song is a duet between Diddy and Dixie. "Diddy" is a friend I met in college. He is a music major with quite a bit of stage experience so he can sure deliver. "Dixie" is injury. :)

Well I'm expecting something incredible now, so don't let me down :<

I guess it's up to the mixers, really, but I for one think there's way too few vocal mixes on the site and in the projects as it is.

I tend to usually stick to mixes from games that I know, but is there a list of all mixes with vocals? I usually like to have something to sing along too, and it's always interesting to see how and what people incorporate into their mixes.

I think listing all vocal mixes would perhaps border on a "favorites" list which is usually a bad idea around here. The staff wouldn't want something that makes it easy to find vocal remixes either, I don't think, just like they don't want it to be easy to find ones of a certain genre. It would be pretty easy to make an unofficial list though.

EDIT: This doesn't belong here, sorry for hijacking the thread.

I think listing all vocal mixes would perhaps border on a "favorites" list which is usually a bad idea around here. The staff wouldn't want something that makes it easy to find vocal remixes either, I don't think, just like they don't want it to be easy to find ones of a certain genre. It would be pretty easy to make an unofficial list though.

Nah, nothing is wrong with starting a thread listing the vocal mixes...I think if you search for some, you may find more than 1 of these threads in Community...just don't clog up this thread with that. ;-)

A jazz arrangement? I can see that. A latin arrangement? Sure, it fits. Rap? Where in the good name of David Wise did that idea stem from? Next, let's transform the Flying Krock music into a romantic pop ballad.

Wow. I think a melody can be melded into any form that a musician envisions. Saying that something cannot or should not be done in a particular style is not only insulting, it's incredibly shortsighted and shows a distinct lack of understanding of how remixing, and even music in general, works. If you don't like the vocals in a track that's one thing, but to insult the artist behind the track and lump all lyrical remixers together under one ridiculous presumption is another.

EDIT: This doesn't belong here, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Not really all-inclusive, but here's a list thread someone started awhile back: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10327

It's unfortunate that we're all so used to hearing such immaculate voice tracks in day to day life that the average person is extremely reluctant to sing to people - and that we also have a knee jerk reaction to anything not up the "standard." Unfortunate as that may be, it is still true that most of us have that reaction. It is why I decided not to put vocals on my Jib Jig arrangement. (I had the lyrics planned and was even practicing it.) Rather, I tried out my vocal chops on an original piece - a song I anticipated having a smaller circulation ;)

Vocals are great, though. We need more of them.

Boy, are you going to hate the death metal vocals in Crocodile Cacophany.

Answer #1: the original track is primarily groove-based. The bulk of it is driven not by any particular melody (aside from the chorus), but by the percussion, the beat, the rythm. This, in my opinion, makes it absolutely perfect for a rap arrangement. And this is comming from somebody who, generally speaking, doesn't even like rap.

Answer #2: Who the fuck are you to tell me how I should or shouldn't arrange a particular track? Lemme explain how remixing works; we have an idea, and we run with it. It's not about conforming to anything, it's about taking whatever ideas we have and bringing them to fruition. I thought the mix would work well as a rap/rock blend, so I (with jose's help) arranged it as a rap/rock blend. Got a problem with it? Don't listen to it. Simple as that. But if you're gonna come in attempting to read our minds and claiming that anything with vocals is just an attempt to conform to societal whatever-the-fuck, then kindly do us all a favor and go fuck yourself with a hot iron.

you're all missing the point, here. besides the whole issue of wanting to convey images and themes through words (which, last time i checked, most instruments can't use), there's also the issue that this is fucking donkey kong, for goodness sake. it's not like they made the appassionata sonata into a country song or something. just chill the fuck out and be happy that people (other than me, lol) care enough to put out a project like this.

if you're such a good music critic, write some of your own, asscan.