Donkey Kong Country 2: Serious Monkey Business - History

Geoffrey Taucer

Ok so yeah I'm working on a possible Album art/CD cover seeing as it was mentioned that it was up for grabs.

DKCSMB.jpg

I want to do something that people would approve of, and so I've come up with some what of a demo of something I whipped up a few days ago. I've been tinkering with it and it still needs something. It's obviously unfinished but that's a good thing because it's a better way to get feedback.

So please unload your feedback if you can. Ideas, considerations, alternate art style choices for the cover... I'm flexible and fast. I'm personally working on a hand drawn cover, but that takes a bit more time and I wanted to whip up a demo cover piece to show that I've been working on something, not to mention I want to get the feedback of those already apart of this project.

So yes give your opinions, it would be greatly appreciated, I'll add and make modifications and all that jazz based on feedback. With a little time I'll have something more original as well. Hand drawn stuff takes time though.

Oh shit! I LOVE IT!

It is GREAT ! I love it ! You just should add "Donkey Kong Country 2 - Serious Monkey Business - An OverClocked ReMix album" or something like that like on other OCRA covers.

Anyway, GREAT JOB !

^This needs to happen.

This is good work sir.

As to your thought of it needs more: go check out my artwork from the first DKC project, it'd be cool if you did something related. My suggestion, make the text more like fresh paint where it's dripping or add banana peels hanging out of the box slats.

Ok so yeah I'm working on a possible Album art/CD cover seeing as it was mentioned that it was up for grabs.

DKCSMB.jpg

I want to do something that people would approve of, and so I've come up with some what of a demo of something I whipped up a few days ago. I've been tinkering with it and it still needs something. It's obviously unfinished but that's a good thing because it's a better way to get feedback.

So please unload your feedback if you can. Ideas, considerations, alternate art style choices for the cover... I'm flexible and fast. I'm personally working on a hand drawn cover, but that takes a bit more time and I wanted to whip up a demo cover piece to show that I've been working on something, not to mention I want to get the feedback of those already apart of this project.

So yes give your opinions, it would be greatly appreciated, I'll add and make modifications and all that jazz based on feedback. With a little time I'll have something more original as well. Hand drawn stuff takes time though.

You could hang Diddy's hat off the corner of the "D" in "DK" and maybe Dixie's hat off the corner of the "K", since these two are the main characters

Thank you for all the feedback from everyone, I'd personally been trying to fit banana's in (I was going to sneak them into the crate in the background possibly but whenever I tried it, it didn't look just right) or was thinking of adding feathers and webs over the crate to represent some Animal Buddies.

I'll address a few of the concerns and the reasoning to why I did things the way I did. I didn't do a DK barrel because CD covers are square so I thought it would be cool if this pirate crate filled out the whole image. The fonts are supposed to either look branded on or carved into the wood. The text should be a little rough as wood isn't an even surface and so to ink it or burn on it, it wouldn't be done evenly.

If Bahamut and Taucer want the cover to be a secret I will do so and converse with them about it from here on in. The reason I posted it was was simply because I figured this was where those involved with the project were getting feedback or discussing what needed to be done to complete the project. So I wanted to get some input from other project members as well so as to create something that captured the feel of the project.

Now though I've had a lot of great things added to the list to possible additions to the cover;

Possible Elements to be Added;

- Diddy and Dixie's Hat's (since the game is about them)

- Banana's or Banana Peels

- DK Hero Coins

- Kremcoins

- possible adjustments in title (put Country into the acronym DKC, or spell it all out into Donkey Kong Country)

- OC Remix Project (will be added as lower subtitle)

- Thrown Feces

Also I want to know I suppose from Bahamut and Taucer if more then one cover is needed (multiple discs?) or back covers with track list (my idea for a back cover would consist of a pirate map with Crocodile Isle on it).

That kind of stuff I can do to, I have plenty of ideas and concepts. From what I gather this project is long over due to be finished so that's why I would rather go in the current direction art wise, as doing something hand drawn takes me more time obviously. Still I want to do the best and most professional job I can.

I'm going to take pointers from the previous installment's cover as well to give the continued work on the DKC trilogy a consistent appearance.

I can't wait to hear some of the work.... especially the Mine Shaft level music (I believe it's called Kannons Claim if I'm not mistaken) cause that's some of the best music in the entire game.

Sorry for the long post, but for all those who want to be informed, now you are.

DK Country is a weird abbreviation middle ground between DKC and Donkey Kong Country. Have you tried the former to see how that looks?

Other than that, thumbs up.

Yeah I have considered the various options of titling... DKC the initials of the game series... or I could spell it out completely as Donkey Kong Country... there's even the fact that the full title of the game is Donkey Kong Country: Diddy's Kong Quest.

Obviously Serious Monkey Business and OC Remix Project should be a part of the label for obvious reasons. I'm trying to balance things out. So at this point I could shuffle things around and add a 'C' to the DK logo.

I'm going to take a look at the previous remic album though for titling inspiration I think and follow in it's foot prints roughly if I can.

More feedback though is always good.

Go for the "immensely long title" route. It worked for Summoning of Spirits.
Currently I'm planning on Adding a C2 to the DK title... and then instead of Country 2 on the nailed sign I can put Diddy's Kong Quest on that.

Then under Serious Monkey Business I can put the subtitle of OC remix project underneath.

There will be plenty of text for all to enjoy.

But yeah about the sleeve vs. jewel case, I'm going to have to wait and find out exactly how many covers need to be done. I'm assuming a back cover is going to be needed eventually. I'm willing to do it all it's just a matter of finding out what is needed.

Currently I'm planning on Adding a C2 to the DK title... and then instead of Country 2 on the nailed sign I can put Diddy's Kong Quest on that.

Then under Serious Monkey Business I can put the subtitle of OC remix project underneath.

There will be plenty of text for all to enjoy.

But yeah about the sleeve vs. jewel case, I'm going to have to wait and find out exactly how many covers need to be done. I'm assuming a back cover is going to be needed eventually. I'm willing to do it all it's just a matter of finding out what is needed.

This is going to be printed as a digipak release, with 4 or 6 sides I'm guessing

This is going to be printed as a digipak release, with 4 or 6 sides I'm guessing
SO my assumption is that it's currently sitting at a 2 disc release (which may become 3).

I'm assuming that the project should be uniformed and that each disc cover bear connection.

@ Emunator, I'd be all up for working together, I would think the only concern would be that we should simply make sure that the style between the fronts and backs would be complimentary at the least.

So I can contact you about it and you can give me info on what you've already done.

All my contact info is in my profile, I'd like to work over IM if possible (you have an MSN address in your contact info so we could use that.) I'm actually almost done with the back cover design, I kinda got carried away. I showed it to Taucer and Bahamut and they both seemed to be okay with it, but I'd like to show it to you and see what you can do to make it look more stylized and interesting :-)