Picture Puzzle

Vurez

Can anyone decipher this picture puzzle? If you figure it out, hide the answer so one has to highlight it to see it. I'm curious how difficult this is.

Click here to see a larger version.

EDIT: Due to some suggestions I've decided to give some guidance from the beginning. It's video game related. Don't check out the hints farther down the thread unless you're really stumped. The hints really give away a lot.

puzzle_small.jpg

Alright, I'll narrow it down a bit. It represent's a work of fiction. It could be a story, a movie, a game, etc. It's not obscure, but I realise there may be people here or are not totally familiar with it. Everyone here has heard of it I'm sure. And some are probably way more familiar than others. People who are not as familiar with it than others will probably not be able to guess what each image represents. They might be able to notice a few coincedences though, and still be able to guess.

Oh and one other thing: all of the things that the pictures represent can be put into two groups - the six in the middle, and the all the others. The six in the middle are more important. The others can all be grouped together - they are of equal status.

Well, the problem that I have with it (and this is mostly because I've been playing Professor Layton recently), is that there's no setup. All you gave us is a series of pictures in a seemingly random order and told us to interpret. The first thing a person is going to do is look at what all of the images literally represent. Then, they will try to find meaningful relationships between sets (rows, columns, pairs) based on those literal interpretations. An example of that would be the picture of the hard drive next to The Flash, which made me think flash drive. So that's what I've been sitting here doing every time I look at it.

Even with the hints, I'm vaguely perplexed because every single picture can be interpreted symbolically a lot of ways. For instance, the pirate flag could mean pirate, death, skull, skeleton, etc.

You need maybe to give an example set, or a smaller number of pictures, or just some clear instructions on how the whole thing works before showing the puzzle. As it stands, I don't think I'll ever really figure this thing out based on what I've got to go on because I'm overwhelmed not only by the number of pictures, but their potential meanings. And even if I were given every pictures meaning and told to figure out what they add up to, I likely still wouldn't be able to do it. To much data, too many possibilities.

I love mind puzzles, which is why I picked up Professor Layton, Picross, and other games of that variety. Nothing is cooler than the sense of accomplishment you get from solving a challenging brain bender. The trick with a good puzzle though is that it gives you the first push. Sometimes that push can be misleading on purpose, but ultimately, the answer will always be obtainable. Like a good game of charades though, you have to be able to represent the words you want out of the player through round about means that they can understand. The difference here is like trying to show me an action for grass by sticking your arms in the air and swaying back and forth. Either way, I'm going to stare at you and go "what?"

EDIT: Okay, that was a little harsh. Let me put it this way. Great effort, I'm glad that you put this out there. But it needs to be refined in a manner that will let people get a grasp on it before they go full tilt in.

Sweet, so we have no idea what its supposed to represent and what we're meant to do with it or anything? We just try and find some sort of continuity? If so I SOLVED IT!!

It is:

Earth Wind and Fire, the 70's/80's band

Air - Wind of the name

Springs - Sprung out into popular culture

Light - they were an bright idea/new style

Compass - they had direction

Needle - they hit the exact spot

Clouds - where you feel when listening to the music

Sparklers - represents their showy style

Space - Spaced out on drugs with the music

Samurai - requires patience and focus, as with musical training

Bomb - What they were/are

Death - the inevitable demise

Indian - Theyr dress sense

Crash - the inevitable demise

Happy - theyr music style

Flame - Fire of the name

I can keep going, but I they all fit logically. That was fun lets do another one!!

My turn: Hammer, Bison, Biscuit, Icon, Tail, Record. GO GO GO!!!

Now that you give those hints, it's obviously:

Rockman

But I like V___'s answer better ^_^

[Edit]

I still don't get

what Wile E coyot- oh wait, nevermind XD

[Edit]

Maybe it would've been a better puzzle if the pictures were arranged in 3x3 squares. Actually, that might have been TOO obvious... you should've just stuck with 1 particular megaman game, and used a 3x3 grid with the boss pics in the same positions they're in in the game (if you know what I'm talking about). The middle one could be a rock, or guy playing rock music. That 1000000 dollar bill thing is cryptic as hell, unless people actually call it a "megabill". =p

[Edit]

Try not to think of how a person would interpret the pictures AFTER they know the answer, but BEFORE they know the answer. Because without those hints, NOBODY would be able to figure that thing out. Many of the pics are extremely cryptic even after the answer is known...

I've got a puzzle that's a bit easier though. The answer is my password for the OCR forums.... GO!

Yeah, I would have mentioned that a game series was the clue. The hints gave Rockman away of course. Cool puzzle, Don!

Maybe I should have said it was a game from the get-go. For some reason I thought people would see the doctor with the light and wile e. coyote and figure it out right away. Maybe there should have been other smaller puzzles building up to it so people get in the right mind frame? Do you think it would have helped the just have 1,000,000 in the middle instead of a 1,000,000 dollar bill?

Oh, and I must ask, at point point did the hints give it away? Hint 1, Hint 2, Hint 4??

Now that you give those hints, it's obviously:

Rockman

But I like V___'s answer better ^_^

[Edit]

I still don't get

what Wile E coyot- oh wait, nevermind XD

[Edit]

Maybe it would've been a better puzzle if the pictures were arranged in 3x3 squares. Actually, that might have been TOO obvious... you should've just stuck with 1 particular megaman game, and used a 3x3 grid with the boss pics in the same positions they're in in the game (if you know what I'm talking about). The middle one could be a rock, or guy playing rock music. That 1000000 dollar bill thing is cryptic as hell, unless people actually call it a "megabill". =p

[Edit]

Try not to think of how a person would interpret the pictures AFTER they know the answer, but BEFORE they know the answer. Because without those hints, NOBODY would be able to figure that thing out. Many of the pics are extremely cryptic even after the answer is known...

I've got a puzzle that's a bit easier though. The answer is my password for the OCR forums.... GO!

Well technically it's the western version "Mega Man" due to the 1,000,000 and the thing next to the train was supposed to represent "Stone Man". But anyway, close enough of course. Same thing. I guess I got overly ambitious with this one. I'm sure the battleship, the statue next to Flash and the sagittarius symbol were REALLY cryptic.