song from the game Ultima Online). The original version of this took me

about 4 hours to make. However, this is the extended remastered version. It

may not be quite as good as my last Breath of Fire submission, but it has

quite a different flavor to it. I was kind of stuck for a name. It's sort

of a mellow kind of epic trance, with pianos, a soft bass and kick, lots of

synths (all built using Fruity Loops Wasp and Simsynth synthsizers). It

transitions about half-way through to a bit harder more distorted style of

trance. It has your standard trance beat. I try not to focus too much on

the rhythm (although a bit of variation can keep the piece interesting).

I'd prefer minimal kinds of beats to focus more attention on melodic and

harmonic qualities (probably comes with being a piano player).

Here is the link. Hopefully it should work. If Angelfire's bandwidth is

used up you may have to try again later.

The song should be available from the homepage as well.

If Angelfire just doesn't work the song should be up on mp3.com within a

couple of weeks.

Hope you like the song. Take it easy.

:)

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!

http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp

Whoa, GLL just piles the reverb on in this mix. Serious reverb. He let's it become a problem. (I let it become a problem too, myself :/ heh) I'm sure this would sound MUCH better if it sounded "closer", as it is melodic trance, not ambient trance. Atleast, that's what he's seemingly going for. I do, however, like the choirs around 2:40. I like the radical effects at 3:20. Overall, a little repetitive (It is trance, though...). Tough decision...

NO

Not bad at all. In fact, I found myself enjoying this quite a bit. The reverb almost killed it for me, but I actually think the depth of reverb works about half the time in the song. The other half, well, isn't ideal, but I don't think it's bad enough to warrent a rejection. The song's repetative, yes, but I think that's a function of both the genre and the original, and the mixer did plenty to keep it fresh throughout.

YES

reverb could be killed a bit... but really, toning down those pads would help a great deal. Either that, or turning up the other melodic parts. Damn, seems you have the same problem I've had with that lead synth. The detuning gets extreme, and the instrument becomes out of tune.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. The repetition is really only worst in the fact that the drums don't vary much if at all. Dunno. Try cleaning up the reverb or the repetition (or both, if you're feeling generous!) and this would sound a lot better. But for now:

NO for j00.

D

The massive reverb is obviously stylistic, so I won't nitpick this on that point. But the choral pads are just plain overdone; along with the ambient FX they drown out the counter melody. And I'm not keen on that prolonged high-pitched sound in the background from 2:52 to 3:19. The problem with this much ambience is that the stereo field is stretched too thin; there's not enough of an anchor to the sound.

The ending could have been more climatic, I feel like an amnesiac when it's over. The synth melody is tight and cohesive, containing definite potential, but the mix doesn't feel passable as it is now.

NO

Wow... everything has reverb... 8O

Well, this thing actually has four no's, which is enough to reject it, but I figured I'd cast my vote anyway:

Yeah, there's lots of reverb, but I can deal with that. I just think you might want to lay off the Fruity reverb a bit in the future. It's hard to use in moderation sometimes, but you should try to drop down the amount and the decay quite a bit, especially for drums.

Not much there. There's the lead, the big choir-y pad, the bass, the drums, and the piano. That's about the same amount of elements as Sandstorm (that horrid Darude song). Well, yeah, there are a few others, but those are the dominant ones... Anyhow, it's pretty repetitive, like the other judges said. And the lead is detuned a bit too much. I like the use of the TS-404, though. It sounds pretty nice here. The drums are also pretty crisp, but they're very large thanks to the massive amounts of reverb caked to everything.

I'd say you pulled trance off well enough for OCR, but not as well as you could have.

YES

Er, so that's four yes's and four no's... Tie-breaker, anyone?

Well, rarely do I need to tiebreak, and usually it would be towards the negative, but in this case I liked the choir implementation and the synth work towards the end quite a bit. Surprised it got the four no's it did, actually, though perhaps it takes too long to get to "the good stuff".

YES