Dig This! - Lemmings Happy Hardcore remix

OneUp

I've always wanted to do this one!

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/fkqc/OneUp---Lemmings---Dig-This-

Tried to get it to sound as the good old mid-90s Happy Hardcore, but with better synths. I could work more on the marching part, but what do you think this far?

I think the right name of the original song is Just Dig, but which console is it from?

EDIT: Here's the source: http://www.page-online.nl/midifreak/games/PC/Lemmings_-_Just_Dig.mid

EDIT: Version 2 is found here: http://www.freewebs.com/fboneup/

I've never heard the original track and I've never played the game but the song was pretty good...It had me tapping my feet and bobbing my head and now I feel like giving the game a try, so good job.

OMG YES <33333

This just may be un-deserved bias in your favor, OneUp, but I truly lovin' this track; you capture the happy-hardcore element perfectly and it just fits this track so well.

And according to WikiPedia, Lemmings originally came out for the Commodore Amiga, but has been ported to pretty much every system and its dog.

Not bad, but not spectacular either. The break down with picmin SFX is awesome though. Then again, this song kinda grows on you lol. I dig it :)

oh uh oh, the piano hasn't been humanized, the J's don't dig that so, may wanna vary up the velocities and note lengths >_<, and I'm not sure how they'll warm up to yet another simple trance beat song :S, maybe find some other support instruments to spruce things up a bit and such.

Not bad, but not spectacular either. The break down with picmin SFX is awesome though. Then again, this song kinda grows on you lol. I dig it :)

oh uh oh, the piano hasn't been humanized, the J's don't dig that so, may wanna vary up the velocities and note lengths >_<, and I'm not sure how they'll warm up to yet another simple trance beat song :S, maybe find some other support instruments to spruce things up a bit and such.

It's supposed to be Happy Hardcore, and thus it's supposed to be 4-beat, mechanical and simple... but I see what you mean. It's kind of hard to humanize stuff in a tracker, but I'll see what I can do.

Thx ya'll for the comments.

It's supposed to be Happy Hardcore, and thus it's supposed to be 4-beat, mechanical and simple... but I see what you mean. It's kind of hard to humanize stuff in a tracker, but I'll see what I can do.

Thx ya'll for the comments.

I'm not trying to be an anal prick, but the J's always try to...so don't feel down or anything. I know VGmix ppl will 5/5 this in an instant so, this isn't bad or anything.

Tried to get it to sound as the good old mid-90s Happy Hardcorehttp://www.page-online.nl/midifreak/games/PC/Lemmings_-_Just_Dig.mid

Yeah, it really beats 21st century Happy Hardcore in my opinion.

Nice and happy vibe, and I remember playing Lemmings on the SNES and this song is probably used there.

You know that piano is all right but it's not quite the "rave piano" I was expecting. Get to working it out!

What's with all the swedes coming to ocr?

Anyway, with the exception of the bass drum, everything is kind'a quiet. Dunno if it's standard for the genre, but I'd recommend trying to make it louder. Limiter on the master or just more compression on the bass drum to give you the headroom. Oh right, tracker... If you can add effects, do it. If not, edit the bass drum so it doesn't peak as far, and apply overdrive or something to the sample to get more loudness without actually making it louder.

The snare/clap is kind'a sharp, so it's a bit painful on headphones. The keyboard section in the middle has some really weird panning effect that's also a bit painful on headphones.

The sound effects get a little annoying, I think there's just too many of them. Lose a few, lose the repetition in them, and I don't think I'll have any problem with them.

That's my technical remarks. Arrangement is fun, elaborate, I like it. It sounds like there's enough source in it. If the volume wouldn't be so low, I think I'd YES this if I were a judge. But I'm not. Arrangement is great, production is good. It is a bit mechanical, but I don't have a problem with that in this genre. Overall, impressive and would probably end up on OCR after a few fixes and a few months of submission quee. Tror jag.

What's with all the swedes coming to ocr?

Anyway, with the exception of the bass drum, everything is kind'a quiet. Dunno if it's standard for the genre, but I'd recommend trying to make it louder. Limiter on the master or just more compression on the bass drum to give you the headroom. Oh right, tracker... If you can add effects, do it. If not, edit the bass drum so it doesn't peak as far, and apply overdrive or something to the sample to get more loudness without actually making it louder.

Yes, I'm aware of that... The limiter made it, and I'll try doing something about it.

MadTracker 2 is technically as, IMO, good as any other program so that's not the problem.

The snare/clap is kind'a sharp, so it's a bit painful on headphones. The keyboard section in the middle has some really weird panning effect that's also a bit painful on headphones.

You mean the piano right?

Gonna check it out

The sound effects get a little annoying, I think there's just too many of them. Lose a few, lose the repetition in them, and I don't think I'll have any problem with them.

Ok, it's that fill and the bassdrum fx you mean?

Can't listen to it atm, but I don't think I used more than those, but possibly too much.

That's my technical remarks. Arrangement is fun, elaborate, I like it. It sounds like there's enough source in it. If the volume wouldn't be so low, I think I'd YES this if I were a judge. But I'm not. Arrangement is great, production is good. It is a bit mechanical, but I don't have a problem with that in this genre. Overall, impressive and would probably end up on OCR after a few fixes and a few months of submission quee. Tror jag.

Kiitos!

A few months que O_o

Sounds like Toytown. :P

Also, distort the kick to bang. It ain't happy hardcore if it isn't banging or slamming. That is, possibly make it sound like Toytown or any of the other classic bouncy techno tunes. Right now it sounds a slightly like sped up europop tune.

Breakbeat also needs to be more aggressive.

I might also suggest some movement in the synths. Try using filters or altering the fm depth on synths and whatnot. That is, modulate the sound a bit. It's sounding a bit dry and staid.

The sound effects during the "whistle" section feel a bit too cheesy. Sure, it's happy hardcore, but still. They're less annoying now, but the ones in the latter half of the "shistle" section feel like they're clashing with the key of the rest of the track. Can you pitch them just enough to make them fit without screwing up with them too much?

The "yippee" sound towards the end works much better - and THAT ONE NEEDS MORE VOLUME! :D

Okay, that was unlike me. Allcaps? WT_?

Distort the bass drum a little. Besides that, I've got no production issues to say. :D Skitcool låt.

edit: Oh right, it's still a bit on the quiet side.

Some crashes sound a bit weak on their own. Add the bass drum to them, drop them, or see what else you can do about it.

The voice in the break sounds better now. "Let's go" should either be dropped or louder. The piano additions sound good to me.

The "yippee" is cut off in the end. WT_?

Nothing to say except that. I can't hear anything else that needs to be fixed. I don't yet have the production ears I should, but I can spot a well produced track. Once those little details are fixed, I think this is ready to be submitted. It's got the structure, it's got the sound, the source is there, it's enjoyable to listen to... I'm not a judge, but if I were, I'd YES this.

Awesome job.