OCR00921 - Deadly Towers "Quest for Conan"

djpretzel

Although this is a pretty big step away from most of Mazedude's other, more electronica remixes, I can still hear quite a bit of the same artist (complete with pitch bends *winkwink*). Great samples were used in this Mix, including a subtle but very sweet sounding vocal sound that comes in every once in a while. Although short, this song is very immersive and cinematic, making you feel like you're in some sort of ancient city or something along those lines.

It's great, and different. I look forward to seeing even more varied work from Mazedude who is also great.

This has a really great professional feel. It sounds like it would fit perfectly in a movie. I like how the grace notes are handled (don't know if they were in the original or not), because they give the melody lines a much more organic feel than a straight melody would. Makes it sound less machine made. Really good. Sounds great. Pretty short though.

I remember listening to this one awhile back on Mazedude's site and wondering if he was going to submit it to oc. I really like this, nice atmosphere and superb composition.

And check out his original stuff. I have alot of respect for Mazedude after hearing his 12-tone funk piece, anyone who can make 12-tone music sound so darn groovy is alright in my book. 8)

It's not my privelage to comment on the finer points of this remix (my musical knowledge is null) but I am very familiar with Basil Poledouris' Conan soundtrack, and I have to say that it only took the first 3 seconds of this mix to warrant it's title.

Even if it weren't included in Pretzel's review the unmistakeable sound of Conan would have caught my ear at the opening at at 1:21.

Good stuff. Very Renaissance Fair-ey. It's been over a decade since I last played Deadly Towers but the music was instantly recognizeable, a trait I usually prefer for NES mixes.

Okay Mazedude, lets start! I Love the happy-vibe that most of this puts off..its AWESOME. Though, wayy to short. its like.. the same thing 3 times over, and a little break.. and blea..im done. Also, the main Rennisance section is The Highlight of the piece, showing off some mad skills. But .. don't be afraid to mix it up the 2nd time around. Everyone -> Deffinitely worth the download, the vibe it puts off is excellent, and the clarity of every instrument shines through so well it .. brings a tear to my eye. Just to damn short.

0:01 - Whoa! nice chord here.. it kinda makes you stop and listen, i like that.

0:17 - OMG im at the rennisance!(SP?) and there are elves and Fairies and dwarf's oh my! .. Cool work :P

0:43 - I like the work here..

1:10 - I love this right here, It really comes together.

1:23 - OMG! more Rennisance stuff! ahem.. DONT be afraid to mix this stuff up here. While this sounds absolutely Brilliant.. And believe me, it does. anyone who tells you otherwise is evil. But DONT be afraid to mix it up man! .. You could do SO much more with it. As my choir teacher always said.. YOU NEVER do the same thing twice exactly the same.. soo dont! ..mix it up, change something, Push it a bit more, make an addition, do something. Why do people play/sing the same things over and over again? for impact on the listener. so .. uh .. yea.. but i really liked it.

Yay NES, and yay Mazedude. It's good to finally see a second remix from this very shotty game (considered to be one of the suckiest for the NES); and this mix doesn't sound like a MIDI-rip!

Anyways, it is a good mix with that sort of Irish feel in there. Whenever I played the game, this is how I thought the song would've been if it weren't just chiptune. So Mazedude manifested the ideas well in here.

Right on.

Sweet ass mazedude. this mix sounds soo cool. this game has been seriously overlooked for remixing as it's only had 1 privious other mix that was like 40 seconds long or something. (*psst* hey do that one too and make it longer and better :D ) it was the second starting theme. if you wait long enough at the title screen it will changet to show all the weapons ond stuff it the game. but it was too short. anyway back to the subject of your mix :D.

it really kick ass man. it actually kinda sounds like the lord of the rings as well the theme from hobbiton, but i think that's a good thing as tehre isn't even 1 mix of that here. Edit: it also sounds like lords of the realm 2 overveiw theme

yha well i liked your mix and keep up the good work.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Not something you'd expect to come from Mazedude, but it has that distinctly high quality associated with his work.

Samples are uniformly well-used, and the song progresses well. While it feels pretty ren-fest to me, that's mostly musical conditioning because of Poledouris's strong style of scoring those early fantasy movies.

I'd have preferred some dynamics in the piece, but overall it was excellently done. Another victory for Mazedude. :-)

• 7 months later...

While never having played Deadly Towers myself, I've seen and heard the music enough to recognize both the tracks used. Very nice adaptation, and while not too far from the source, this piece has it's own style that makes it unique. Mazedude does a good job personalizing this track, and I agree with OA's comment about dynamic changes, though it stands good as it is.

Good job by Mazedude, outside of his normal realm, no less.

• 1 year later...

Minstrels sing Prince Myer's tales of valor, then he excuses himself to reflect upon his journey by the lake in the opening story, and finally he rejoins the celebrations... that's the story this mix seems to illustrate. What I'm really impressed by is how the two sources' moods are revamped:

Intro and outro - The main castle music transforms from alert and serious to gaily festive.

Harp breakdown - The outside castle music is so deviously slowed its tone does a pensive 180.

I welcome both interpretations because they're sympathetic enough to make me forget about the merciless difficulty of Deadly Towers. Myer depixelizes too often.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00921 - Deadly Towers "Quest for Conan"