Mastering

I know fruity loops is only one program and that external hardware affords one more ground to break then software alone, but it seems to be an extremely powerful tool. Can anyone shed some light on what it takes to master one's own work? I'm interested in learning how to do Audio master, tools it takes, other programs to check out, prices, etc. But I'd like to get the info from people actually doing it as opposed to money hungry companies.

Let me know what's good,

{OP}

mastering is harrddddd and this is why many people get professionals to do it for them. Also there's the fact that having a separate person master your track can be better since there's no "bias" in that he will be able to hear things you, as the producer, don't hear, and he won't hear things that you do hear.

of course, it is still more than feasible to do a somewhat good job mastering your own stuff, though of course it really depends on the tools and experience you have. You have to really know your sh^t about EQing, compression/multiband compression, exciters, spectrum analysis, etc.

of course, remember that some problems should be solved during the mixing stage, and not left for the mastering to try and fix.

...uhmmmmmmm that's about the extent that I know o_o;;; I don't know how to master well XD

I mean, that's cool. I don't know anything about mastering anyway. That's why I'm here. But DDRKirby, you raise a good point. I don't want the bias, and I write too so I could understand that the person mastering would be in a sense, my editor.

Any information about mastering someone could impart, I appreciate, but also, do you trust online mastering services? If so, what are some good options?

• 2 weeks later...
I mean, that's cool. I don't know anything about mastering anyway. That's why I'm here. But DDRKirby, you raise a good point. I don't want the bias, and I write too so I could understand that the person mastering would be in a sense, my editor.

Any information about mastering someone could impart, I appreciate, but also, do you trust online mastering services? If so, what are some good options?

Im sure if you ask some people on this site, someone would be willing to master your song for a lot cheaper than what you would find online or in the yellow pages. Ive heard zircon does some mastering, message him. i would do it but i have to many other projects and stuff. but i am not a mastering engineer (yet..)

I think it's a good skill to have as a mixer, you can be a lot more independent, while you may not be able to master like a master if you even learn how to do a basic job it can really help.

i agree..... i try to master all my own work...

spending money on a mastering engineer is pretty pricy.. most charge 100 dollars a track! but on any note.. if your into the mixing and engineering part of it all.. mastering is part of it, the ultimate goal for a mixing engineer is to have the mastering engineer say "theres nothing i can do, its perfect!"

so keep practicing.. practise makes perfect!