Chiptune project?

Dafydd

So... I found this funny little Super Mario World NES port today. Pretty cool how they managed to get it to look so much alike the original game with the NES's limited technology. And pretty disappointing they failed so miserably with the soundtrack.

Now... I've heard Super Mario World was also called Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan, which is really no surprise - SMW and SMB3 are obviously very similar in style. But what if there had actually been a SMB4? If SMW had been released as a NES game instead of as a SNES one? What would its soundtrack have sounded like then?

To anyone who doesn't see what I'm getting at - I'm requesting a chiptune project, one that answers that very question:

What would the SMW soundtrack have sounded like, had the game been released on the NES?
My answer? The songs would be nearly identical, but played with the same audio capabilities as SMB3 (i.e. 2xSquare+Triangle+Noise+DPCM, plus, perhaps, MMC5 and/or FDS where absolutely necessary). Imagine something like Super Mario All-Stars but the other way around. Many of the songs in the soundtrack actually don't use more than 3 simple melody lines, and could easily be faithfully converted into NES music. However, some songs don't, and here's where the hallowed and mysterious creative reinterpretation comes in. Sometimes, you'd have to chose between dropping a part, or merge two parts into one using arpeggios, or some other solution, like an expansion chip (MMC5 or FDS, being made by Nintendo, would seem like the obvious choice here). The goal here could be trying to make the best cover using the limited equipment at hand, that is, trying to get the NSF to sound as close to the source as possible, something like this (source) - or you could go wild and make an OCRemix-esque reinterpretation out of it (though still an NSF). The one problem I can think of is that merging multiple NFSs into one multi-song NSF is a real bitch, even though some people have apparently pulled it off, so once the project is finished, it may take a while before it can be distributed as a single NSF/NSFe.

I think a project like this could be a lot of fun, since I haven't really seen anything similar around here and I doubt a full soundtrack of this kind has ever been made. Experienced chip musicians could join and grab the more advanced tracks, and newcomers, even those who have never made a chiptune before, could learn how, discover the fun in making them, and grab the short and simple ones. Also, making an NSF takes way less time than making a full OCRemix, especially since a 10 second source would result in a 10 second chiptune, so a project like this wouldn't be taking years to finish.

So, who's interested?

♪♫▲►▼◄▀▄█▌▐ ♦░▒▓■□▪▫▬●◘◙◦☻☺♠♣♥♦ whee special characters!

01 Title BGM 01:32

02 Map 1: Yoster Island 00:26

03 Map 2: Overworld 00:33

04 Map 3: Vanilla Dome 00:48

05 Map 4: Native Star 00:30

06 Map 5: Forest of Illusion 00:37

07 Koopa Castle Emerges 00:10

08 Map 6: Koopa Castle 00:50

09 Map 7: Special 04:56

10a Overworld BGM 01:38

10b Overworld BGM (Yoshi) 01:38

11a Athletic BGM 01:26

11b Athletic BGM (Yoshi) 01:26

12a Underground BGM 01:27

12b Underground BGM (Yoshi) 01:27

13a Swimming BGM 01:40

13b Swimming BGM (Yoshi) 01:40

14 Haunted House BGM 02:50

15 Sub Castle BGM 02:38

16 Switch BGM 00:14

17 Invincible BGM 00:13

18 Bonus Screen BGM 01:09

19 Bonus Screen Clear Fanfare 00:04

20 Koopa Junior BGM 01:53

21 Egg is Rescued 00:04

22 Koopa Junior Castle Clear 00:13

23 Course Clear Fanfare 00:09

24 Sub Castle Clear Fanfare 00:09

25 Player Down 00:04

26 Game Over 00:07

27a The Evil King Koopa BGM 01:38

27b The Evil King Koopa BGM (final round) 01:13

28 Princess Peach is Rescued 00:17

29a Credits 01:35

29b The Yoshis are Home 00:14

29c Cast 02:21

s01 Nintendo Logo 00:01

s02 Exit Stage 00:01

s03 Secret Exit! 00:03

s04 Bowser Zoom 00:06

s05 Peach's Item 00:02

s06 Bowser Defeated 00:08

mv @ vgmix made a "NES" remix of mario world songs, though it's not really what nintendo would have made it sound like.

Ahahaha

"Hey!"

This is good stuff. But yeah, I'd want the project to aim for something closer to the original. Oh, and, an honor to see you post in my thread, btw. Your posts are a rarity, at least as far as I know. Funny how quickly you posted. :-) Especially since I haven't seen Overcoat yet... And then you got banned? Wtf?

Well, if you want to be technically accurate, the expansion chips would be pretty much out of the question.

The FDS expansion is part of the Famicom Disk System (of course) and could only be used by FDS games. And since the concept is for an NES game, this is out.

The MMC5 may be a better possibility, but still pretty unlikely. Nintendo themselves didn't use it that often (Koei, Konami, and HAL seemed to use it most frequently). The biggest problem, though, is the fact that the NES didn't support the expansion chips' extra sound channels; only the Japanese Famicom supported this.

So, in short, to answer the question "What would SMW sound like if we had played it on the NES?", you'd have to stick to the basic 5 sound channels only.

Yeah, I realize that now. I recently read up on the differences between the famicom and the nes, and that's what I learned then. Well, all the better. :smile: Now people can use famitracker without feeling like they're missing out on something.

Anyway, I'm thinking I should start out with something smaller, this game doesn't really have that many tracks and most of them are short, but I'd rather try something with 5 or so tracks and see how that goes first. Suggestions? Preferrably a SNES or MegaDrive game.

• 6 months later...