"Melodic" rock/metal band w/o growling vocals?

griffith9

I'll second Machinae Supremacy. Freakin' amazing band. They are extremely VG inspired, and even go as far as using a hacked C64 chip (SID station) in most of their songs. Most of their music is about video games, robots taking over the world... that kind of stuff.

I have noticed, however, that some people are turned off by the vocalist, but at least he isn't growly. They've got lots of instrumentals if their vox aren't your cup o' tea. Most of their stuff is available for free on their website. Personally, I think their older stuff is their best.

Also, I think the band "Epica" is simply brilliant. Kind of Nightwish-esque, but more orchestrally and vocally driven. They do have very occasional growlings, but personally I find that their chior and near pixietricks quality vocals are easily good enough to make up for it.

Epica - Feint

Growling and screeching is something you're just going to have to get used to if you like listening to metal, though there are exceptions. You do not have to get used to old Trivium vocals, because that's just being handed a shit sandwich and being told to get used to it.

However, if you can look past the growling in many symphonic black metal bands, then you'll get much listening pleasure from everything else that makes up the music. To name a few: Darzamat, Kovenant (Originally Covenant, not to be confused with the movie or the band that sued them), and Epica.

If you absolutely cannot get over the growling or just need something to listen to before learning to tolerate or even enjoy growling, have a look at some power metal like Symphony X, Stratovarius, and (though I do not like them), Iron Maiden.

If you live in the U.S. and desire some melodic metal and the American stuff isn't cutting it, then you're exactly where I was. I didn't like growling at first, but I learned to look past it and listen to the instruments. Then I got used to it, and then I felt the growling added to the music. For example, Dimmu Borgir's The Serpentine Offering.

Go on Youtube and have a look at some of what I've mentioned, and if you're interested I can help you find other bands you may like with Shoutcast and let you listen to my collection.

Lastly, don't be afraid of your music. The creepier, the better. If you can listen to some Dimmu or some Rammstein while everybody else says you're crazy, then you're just on a much more enlightened musical level than they are. Here's some perspective: Have you played Metroid Prime? You know the grating piece that plays as you fight the parasite queen? I blare 500 watts of that in my room for listening pleasure on occasion. I like the looks I get from other people as well.

Epica is not symphonic black metal - they're symphonic goth metal. Whatever gave you the idea that they were remotely black metal?

Genres.

They're really just to give the listener an idea of what it will sound like. Operatic would have been better than "black", I suppose. But I could ask you the same thing: whatever gave you the idea that they were remotely goth?

Genres.

They're really just to give the listener an idea of what it will sound like. Operatic would have been better than "black", I suppose. But I could ask you the same thing: whatever gave you the idea that they were remotely goth?

Goth is a reference to the style of music associated with the Medieval Ages, typically of the dark, brooding, and atmospheric nature. Epica definitely shows these qualities, as well as a few other traditional qualities of goth metal bands, such as the interplay between the female & male vocals in duets. Their music shows some more modern influences as well, and is not wholly goth metal, as they show some qualities of power metal at times as well (not unexpected for a band named after Kamelot's Epica album).

Also, black metal is rooted largely in its minimalism (as far as metal goes), with intentional bad timing in the riffs. Most tend to focus on Satan, anti-Christianity in general, and dark fantasy, but there's a more vicious character in the music (especially in the vocals) than the more atmospheric goth metal. Think of bands like Emperor, Behemoth, and Bathory for example.

Thank you so much, you guys. I'm looking up all the bands you recommended on Youtube.(just to get a taste)

I also have a list of my own if you don't mind.

They range anywhere from melodic hard-rock to Power metal..

Autumn Tears

BB Steal

Baltimoore

Candy Harlots

Electric Boys

Melidian

Bang Tango

Cry Wolf

J.R Blackmore group

Chinchilla

Emergency (Swedish)

Crystal Tears

Stormzone

Brighton Rock

You should check them out.

Thank you very much for your time.

I'm gonna agree with the guy in the rubber suit (lol) and say that Nevermore is a good one, especially if you're concerned about vocals. They guy doesn't growl and he's got a few different sounding voices that he uses. I'd say that all of their albums are good but my personal favorite is called Dreaming Neon Black. In fact, the SONG called Dreaming Neon Black is a good example of how impressive this guys voice is. That's not to say that the other instruments aren't also great. In particular the guitarist is amazing and the riffs are really creative. Highly recommended yo.

I completely second that. They are indeed my fave band too. Also, Roy Kahn has an amazing, amazing voice, which really sets them apart from everyone else.

He's incredible live as well! And his singing gets better and better each album. I have high hopes for Kamelot's future, they have absolutely been firing on all cylinders every single album since Karma.

He's incredible live as well! And his singing gets better and better each album. I have high hopes for Kamelot's future, they have absolutely been firing on all cylinders every single album since Karma.

Yeah, completely true. Ghost Opera was awesome.. faves of mine off that are Rule the World, The Human Stain and Blucher. Yeah, I have the On A Cold Winters Night DVD... his voice... geez! When they performed Elizabeth i, ii & iii, I was practically speechless... and also maybe a little teary...

I love hard rock/metal music that's more melodic and gutar-driven.(lots of riffs, not too many power ballads like Strangeways)

One time, I listened to a couple songs by this band called Dark Tranquility,

I loved the riffs but the death-metal vocal(shrieking/growling) really

turned me off. I don't know why but it just annoyed me. Dunno.

I guess I'm not used to that type of creepy devilish voice.

(had the same shock when I stumbled upon 'blind guardian'[just creepy, ominous sound] and 'cradle of filth')

So.. could you guys please recommend good "melodic"(fast, guitar-driven, lots of riffs) hard-rock/metal bands that do not have too much growling vocals?? By that am I referring to 'LA metal' bands(GnR)? I don't know.. just throwing terms around.

Most of the bands I know fall into that 'MTV band' category.. so I need some help.

There's this one band I really dig called The Fucking Champs. They're mostly instrumental. They're pretty unique and definitely fall outside the box as far as metal standards go. Minimal line up (two guitars, drums), sparse use of a double bass drum pedal, and a lot of through-composed material.

I'm not totally sure they're what you're looking for, but that being said, riff heavy and melodic they are! And you won't see them on MTV, although that'd be pretty rad if they were. They have a Thin Lizzy like catchiness to a lot of their riffs, but with a more jarring, math-rock/ punk kind of sound.

here's some tracks if you want to check them out-

andres segovia interests me

what's a little reign

the loge

these guys also composed some tracks for the sims 2, apparently.