OCR01738 - *YES* Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Day & Night'

Liontamer

Contact Info:

Damon Campbell (Blue Magic)

bluemagic1984@msn.com

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/bluemagic/

(You can find the mix posted on this page)

Submission Info:

Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Saturn Version)

Rusty Ruins Zone Act 1&2

Composer: Richard Jacques

Publisher: Sega

Year: 1996

System: Sega Saturn

Comments:

I apologize for the id3 tags not being correct. I'm using a crappy ass program for that and I cant figure out how to add the extra info.

This is a mix of the Rusty Ruin Zone theme from Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Saturn Version). I originally created two different short remixes to this song, and later, combined them to create this one. It is in my usual Jazzy/Chill style, nothing thats really gonna blow you out of your chair, its just something to relax to. It took me a bit longer to submit this than I expected due to some unexpected trips out of town, but its all good. I also had a damn hard time trying to find a way to end the song, so I just kinda did a half assed fade out, while trying my best to mimic the way the original song ended. Its not the greatest idea, but hopefully it won't effect your decisions too much. Since my headphones died on me, I had to try to finish the last section of this song without close monitoring of my volume levels and EQing. I think it turned out pretty decent, but If you guys spot anything that needs to be addressed, please let me know and I'll get on it right away.

Thanks,

Damon Campbell (Blue Magic)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sonic 3D Blast (Game Rip) - 06 "Rusty Ruin Act 1" & 07 "Rusty Ruin Act 2"

Loved these source tunes ever since I first I heard Rayza mesh them with mainstream a capella tracks, especially the Busta Rhymes one he did, combining Act 1 with the lyrics of "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See." I thought the Rusty Ruin and Diamond Dust themes of Richard Jacques absolutely killed the Genesis soundtrack, but some people disagree.

This did a good job of retaining a lot of the basic structure of the originals (even replicating those signature choir vox shouts) while creating entirely different textures. I'm a sucker for the originals, so I think the original melodies could have been played straighter without risking a NO, compared to the melodic changes at 1:25 and 1:35 for example. Those changes could have flowed a but better, IMO.

The supporting writing from 3:05 until the end and IMO the awkward melodic change at 3:12 & 3:20 and the exposed vox at 3:28 left the ending feeling a bit underwhelming, but the overall interpretation and presentation was solid. Really cool take on the themes here, giving them almost a jungle/rainforest-like imagery, much like the mental images I've gotten from some of your other ReMixes. Good stuff, bro, keep it up!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Great sources. I wasn't familiar with the soundtrack - I'm definitely checking out the rest of it sometime. Very reminiscent of Enigma, down to the Sadeness-like beat of Rusty Ruin 2. Although these seem pretty slow for a Sonic soundtrack...

Very chill arrangement. I loved the atmosphere you created here with the Spanish guitar, shakers, gentle synths, and rainforest FX. I don't think it's miles away from the original, but it's clearly personalized. The soundscape was a little thin, and I think some heavier bass and beats layered with what you have could have made this more well-rounded, but the sparser beats do set this apart from the original more. I guess it's just that the bass is lacking a little in comparison to other freq ranges. I don't think this is a dealbreaker, but other judges may.

I liked how clean and clear this was. Some additional dynamic contrast at 1:24 would have really sold that change but it still has impact. Smooth work, Damon.

YES

• 2 months later...

Man, you should tackle the Genesis/MegaDrive version of the soundtrack. It's so good, and so much better than the Saturn one (LARRY >:\).

This is a tight package mang. Beats, guitar, sfx, everything melts together with great synergy. It's got a really chill atmosphere. It gets a little sparse in the end with the piano though; I think there could have been more in the way of pads or strings to fill in the space.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I liek Richard Jaques. Moar plz.

Anyway, very chill arrangement. Very nice combination of sounds, however I did not fancy the strings on the left side at ~00:20. Sounded very fake, the static vibrato and strange attack gave them away. The rest of the instruments meshes well, interesting choice of drum sounds fo sho :)

The arrangement is all good with a nice reference to the structure of the sources, like Larry said. I also agree that the changes at 3:12 and 3:20 could've been better theory-wise, but they certainly doesn't take away much from the piece at a whole.

Production is clean and I don't think the bass is lacking much. The kick has a good punch in it and the low guitar-like bass works well. The mid-frequencies are a bit packed and some clearer separation of the melodic instruments would help but it's not a dealbreaker. Nice work.

YES