OCR01706 - *YES* Mario Kart 64 'Day's End'

Liontamer

Hello good sirs (and pixie),

Remixer(s): Audix (production, arrangement), Tweek (guitar)

Game: Mario Kart 64

Song: Staff Roll

Audix's comments ---------

I have always enjoyed this track as one of my favorite Staff Roll (as Nintendo seems to like calling them) scores. I was surprised to find that it hadn't been remixed yet, due to the great source material.

When putting the track together, I had toyed with the idea of adding acoustic guitar at select spots through the track, but the thought didn't resurface until I sent the (finished) version to Tweek for a listen. Brian laid down some guitar work that fit the exact style and feel that I was looking for. It especially worked well to provide an appropriate climax for the second time into the chorus, and then I just had to add a short Zimmer-ish segue at the very end to close up shop appropriately.

Tweek's comments -------

I came into the project rather late in the game. Audix asked for a little feedback which didn't take long considering how polished it already sounded, but after letting the track loop over and over again, I heard an acoustic guitar part unfold in my head, so I laid one down and fortunately, he liked what he heard! I've been a huge fan of Greg's work ever since he released the first WIP of Devastation's Doorway, so being able to work with him was quite a privilege!

-------

Thanks!

Audix, Tweek

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/MarioKart64_usf.rar - 28 "Victory Lap"

Good stuff, although some of the quiet string accents in the back early sounded odd (e.g. :56, 1:00). 2:48's section felt a bit muddy, exacerbated by lasting all the way until 3:37, but the textures were still pretty solid. Other than those minor quibbles, I just wanted to say good jorb!

Loved the changeup at 2:15. The whole arrangement really added a lot more dramatic dynamic changes to the original and a very personalized flavor while retaining the overall structure. A very epic take on an already fun source tune, this had some great energy and really took the theme to that next level. Y'all better collab again!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I love the original and I thought this take on it was great. Very grand sound in line with the feel of the original, but still adding a lot. 2:15 was a great moment among many.

While the overall production is good, I thought this could have used more EQ work. There's mud in the mid-ranges, and not just in the section Larry mentioned. Moving some of the emphasis of the lead instruments to the higher-end (especially the acoustic guitar and piano) would have given this more breathing room and clarity. I think in comparison, Devastation's Doorway had a lot better clarity and separation.

I went back and forth over whether this issue was big enough to NO this. In the end, I think the rest of the production and arrangement are strong enough that I can borderline pass it. I would love if we could ask Greg if he's willing/able to touch this up the way he did with Devastation's Doorway.

YES (borderline)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I don't know if it has to do with the crappy monitors I used to use, but I always thought the EQ was fine. There's always stuff we can grind at, but honestly, my first impulse reaction when I heard this one was "Why isn't this DP consideration?"

This is really enjoyable. It adds some epic flare to Mario Kart. Also, I was surprised to hear that all Tweek really did was add some guitar. At any rate, regardless of how big or small either remixers' contribution, this one turned out really nice.

Easy YES

I'm really liking the mood here. I could totally imagine this as the background music for the last scene in one of those underdog sports movies, among other things. Very uplifting. The combo of well-played acoustic guitar, large percussive hits, synths, and piano makes for a great soundscape. Though the mix is fairly conservative in terms of its style (very similar to the original), there's definitely some solid personal interpretation and original material contributed by the mixers. Good job on that front. The only thing I didn't like about the arrangement was the sort of unresolved ending. I would have actually preferred a fadeout!

With regards to the production, I do think the mixing/mastering could be a little better; the EQ isn't really muddy to me per se, but it feels like most of the elements are sitting in the background, and there aren't a lot of up-close instruments, which gives the illusion of muddiness. Pumping up the overall volume and boosting the highs wouldn't hurt either.

All things considered, my small complaints aren't enough to bring this below our bar. Good job guys.

YES