Zelda OoT: Gerudo Valley (dnb)

Alright, so I'm back after a LOOONNNGGGG time of writer's (composers?) block with a gerudo valley mix.

This is kind of like my red alert mix but with more ties to the source. I've spent some considerable time working on my ear - I hope it shows with less mud and more awesome.

Um, drums and bass as usual, simpleish synths (most of the time), breakdown section, leading into an anthem part with more interpretation, then slowing down to end.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/juzs/gerudodnb3

I like the drums a LOT. I like the breakdown, and all that good-ness. I was actually really pleasantly suprised at the quality of this mix.........right up until the lead.

Both the main lead and the lead in the break down just leave me asking "is that the BEST lead you could find?" Instrumentation needs a FULL rehaul outside of the drums...but don't touch the drums :o, they're perfect imho

Leads aren't loud enough, too much emphasis on drums and bass - in a dnb track, seriously. Drums and bass should drive the track, dominate it, but not at the expense of turning the lead into a backing melody. DnB experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

This doesn't sound good on headphones, it's some instruments reach too far up the frequency range, and they're all failing to make themselves well heard over the drums and bass.

I guess this just isn't my genre. 3 and a half minutes is enough for me. It's way too big for OCR anyway. Dude, 13 megs!

Mixing needs work, you're overdoing the drums and the bass. The melodies are nicely incorporated into the genre tho, and while it gets pretty repetitive, it does have a cool sound. If you're trying to get this on ocr, start cutting out length and repetition, and drop the bass' and drums' levels. If not... Well, I dunno.

this is a intresting mix..

first off id like to say i didn't like how detuned the leads are in some places. it seems like a semitone off some how. the break twoard the front seems to be verbatim with the scource other than the drums which are kinda repetitive.

but after a while it starts to get interesting with all the different breaks and stuff.

3/5 of the way through(when the lead kicks in don't know exact time. it kinda sounds like a sonic bonus stage or something. i didn't like it all all at first but when the rest kicked in i kinda got into it) maybe try to transition a little better, maybe fade 2 sounds.

it is a good idea and kinda reminds me of my mixes in a way.

just try to shorten it a little and i think it could be great!

• 2 weeks later...
Leads aren't loud enough, too much emphasis on drums and bass - in a dnb track, seriously. Drums and bass should drive the track, dominate it, but not at the expense of turning the lead into a backing melody. DnB experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

Generally DnB is leadless unless you're Pendulum... And they aren't really dnb. There's not much reese here, draw out the reese, it is generally all that you should need.

Drums are decent... Not as punchy as I'd like: EQ more at 200hz, they still sound too much like rock drums. Also, try layering with a 909 snare for more punchyness, as that's what DnB is all about: Punch.

Try listening to some recent Spor and Noisia to get ideas. They are pretty much at the top of the heap. Don't listen to Pendulum: They're not dnb. Its been voted on, they are officially not drum and bass.

http://www.dogsonacid.com/ - The Grid: awesome place for drum and bass tips and stuff; its a dedicated dnb production board.

This doesn't sit right with me at all... Sure I hear the melody going on, but for the most part it sounds like it's playing on it's own, doesn't match the chordline you got going on...

I also kinda want to hear some more variation with the bass. Drums too, they tend to get repetitive in some spots...

Just my 2 cents...

Generally, your drums sound good, but with the melody and harmony thrown in it starts to get chaotic. The lead in the first drop is panned hard to the left and it makes it feel incomplete. You would want to balance the stereo expansion of your synths. It's good that you keep your drums more towards the center like you have right now.

I also agree with Navij11's advice on adding punch to the drums. The current snares have a longer release than they should.

Generally DnB is leadless unless you're Pendulum... And they aren't really dnb. There's not much reese here, draw out the reese, it is generally all that you should need.

Pendulum produced pretty solid DnB before their "Hold your Colour" album.

Alright, so I HAD a really nice long post talking about all sorts of things such as why no updates or responses have been had...but then firefox, of all things, crashes.

As firefox.exe is encountering an error and must be closed, itunes opens because of some stupid quicktime update and autostarts playing the first tune on my new playlist - "It's the end of the world as we know it."

So I'm crapping my pants and ctrl-alt-deleting everything and then a warning box that I've NEVER seen before comes up telling me that windows has, basically, slammed itself in the pooper and has to shut down.

I'm thinking "dammit, my post" and clicking ok. Right about that time the entire windows desktop freezes - by this point I am seriously expecting a black hole to open up from my recycle bin and consume all life so I don't really care that my long ass post is going to be lost - I pushed my power button with the speed only pure adrenaline could fuel.

And I wait with it pressed for 5 seconds...10 seconds...20 seconds...and I'm like GOD! JUST FREAKING RESTART! While I've been waiting WAY PAST the hard power deadline, a mysterious blue bar has opened up on my desktop and, unlabeled, is progressing up. I don't really know WTF this bar is doing and I don't WANT to know why windows are opening up as the bar rises, so I basically just flipped my laptop over and pulled the battery.

So I look back at the screen, expecting to see bill gate's head or something, and I see that the desktop is STILL RUNNING. THERE IS NO POWER. I looked it up later and apparently I have a reserve battery that I didn't know about at the time but DAMN! I HAVE A UNPLUGGED LAPTOP RUNNING ON NO POWER!

So about this time I decide that my laptop has been possessed by the devil and as I'm on the phone with the minister to come reenact the exorcist at my DAW, the reserve battery dies. Phew. Sweet demonic relief.

I went to church today and now am back on the recently baptized laptop - typing this as I am running a tab in firefox to the vatican. I figure it's the digital equivalent of having a minister in the room, right?

*ahem*

So if anybody actually read that, you can see the fun I had with my LAST WINDOWS MACHINE EVER. God, I want a mac.

Anyway, here is the update that I haven't gotten to any of you because the devil didn't want you to hear it.

link:http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/dhxk/gerudomaster2

What do you think?

(also, bricks of text are fun to type. everyone should at some point.)

Some of the effects you use are a little bit painful to my ears. It's not that they sound bad, but the texture and/or tone of it is just a bit too piercing. Specifically the glitch stuff at the beginning then the synth at 1:07 that sounds like a fake brass instrument.

The quality of the song overall is very well done. Very well compressed and balanced pretty much throughout, but it doesn't really stick. Some really cool effects and such, but it seems a bit overdone nowadays. Judges might think otherwise, but I hope the best for ya.

Oh yeah, also there's no need to make it 320 kbps. It makes it too big, and I don't think much quality will be lost if you lower it to 192 or 160ish.