Quake II track

Potshot

• 1 year later...

How curious it turns out to be a year to the day I decided to work on this again. Bored on my day off, decided to see if I could get some decent guitar tone out of my Sansamp PSA1 and ended up working on this.

Scratched everything I did previously and whipped out the E-kit to give it a bit of a thrashing. Once again my amp is elsewhere, hence the PSA1, so I plan to re-do this with my peavey once it's back but pretty happy with the tone thus far as I've never got anything decent out of it before. More fleshed out than the last time and I actually played the drums this time instead of dropping some loops over the riffs. Haven't done any of the synth stuff I have planned as yet, just thought I'd post up what I've done today and see if anyone is interested in me finishing it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2232434/q2remix.mp3

do let me know what you think if you have a listen :)

*edit just realised it's not a year, forgot the date was in american lol.

My apologies... I was mistaking it for the chorus and delay. The introductory sound effect seems to have some reverb in it and it just carried over in my mind I suppose. But I still feel that an establishment of key through a simple bassline would help. Knowing the source, and having listened to the song twice now, it isn't necessary. But on first listen, it takes a couple of repetitions through the first 3-4 measures to realize where "home" is.

Also to add.... now that it's morning, nobody's alseep and I can crank this up... very nice. :)

Yeah I can understand what you mean, I did actually alter the bass to be more prominent since you first downloaded it, regarding the key, I'm tuned to A# for this one, so there is a bit of expected mushiness in the lower end of the guitar tone, that I can see may throw it a bit. It shall no doubt be rectified once I have my 5150 back and record the guitars properly. Cheers for the feedback :)

Why don't you move the link to the first post instead?

Anyway, happy to see a Q2 remix. Unfortunately, I'm a little underwhelmed at 00:35 when the mix really starts and guitars aren't as sweet as in the original. I don't even know why. Chugs at 1:03 and on are pretty fat, though the distortion feels a little digital, at least on the right. Guitars feel a little pasted on top of the drums most of the time, maybe increase the volume on the drums and/or less reverb? The drums are also unnecessarily intense for much of the duration of the song, I miss the steady beat of the original.

Also, the last few notes of the run (like at 0:42) plays other notes than the original, which bothers me (you play f, e, d, the original is (at 1:35 or so) d, c#, c (after transposing to the key you're playing in). An issue to no one but myself, sure, but there it is. Comments you don't agree with are better than none, right? :D

Interesting to see you tackle this though, I always considered these songs to be unremixable (at least in the same style) due to their original general awesomeness. I'm looking forward to hearing what the judges have to say about it.

Q2 soundtrack r one of the best on my list I really appreciate the arrangement you've done so far.

This is the second remix I listened to on quad machine There is one from davemon if any of you haven't heard it I'd recommend it coz its not that bad anyway I'm still waiting for an ultimate mix on this.

thanks.

This is a pretty damn insane remix from a damn awesome soundtrack. I know some of the riffs from most of the songs from that soundtrack. The fact that you played the drums yourself, and that they sound that great, is also an amazing touch. I think, especially from the genre, that the mixing/production is dead on man.

This is badass, and if your planning on adding synths, i can't wait for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man. Quad Machine was one of my favorite tracks from Q2, but I never thought of it as a remix candidate due to it being a fairly small amount of actual source material, and being pretty bad-ass as it was.

From what I hear so far, this is clearly going in the right direction. The guitar mixing feels a bit off to me, but I can't put my finger on it.

Other than that, I'll just be looking forward to this progressing :)

• 3 months later...