OCR01692 - Metroid "Cranial Syphon [Kay-raid]"

djpretzel

Arrangement-wise this is really cool. You've got excellent control of contrasts in terms of dynamics and interpretation of the theme. Although the transition was a little sudden on the first listen through, the section starting at 1:43 was kickass. Nice job!

As mentioned in the writeup, this track is off of Arm Cannon's album Leg Vacuum.

I have to say, this is the most creative rock/metal arrangement of Kraid I have yet to hear. How it seamlessly switches modes and instruments, like sliding right from a thrashin' synth & guitar combo into sublime piano, is just great to hear in action.

Also, the names on Leg Vacuum are simply hilarious. If you think Cranial Syphon by itself is amusing, just wait until you see it and Super Cranial Syphon on the same CD. These guys have a great sense of humor. ^^

Killer work; super varied and great use of sounds. The texture is always changing, but cohesive enough that the listener doesn't get lost. Even more props for making me like a Metroid song, especially one that I recognize and previously was 'meh' with. :-)

I love how the basses at the beginning sound so agressive, and the clean guitar playing throughout. Very deft touch, and tasteful phrasing as well. Piano used throughout was great, as were the synths, and the rock was sufficiently heavy. The reverse playing at the end was a great surprise, and overall it's pretty hard to pick nits on this one. I was rockin.

Awesome work gentlemen.

So this is basically an all-around awesome piece of work--from the hyper aggressive string bass in the beginning, to the facemelting guitar solo. The source is also incredibly juicy. The only thing I didn't like on first listen.

So I listened again. And again. Like many things I find off-putting at first, I consider this ending to be one of the best endings on the site. wowowowowowow

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This sounds to me like two excellent pieces that fell down the stairs at the same time and were so mixed up when they finally landed that no one could untangle them. I think in this case, it's less than the sum of its parts. It's a heavy metal mix entangled with a mellow orchestral/piano driven arrangement mixed in, and they clash with each other. The transitions are jarring and the inconsistent mood is not endearing to me. Genre mixing can be done well, but I think this one misses the mark.

That said, it's not -bad-. It would've been better as two (maybe three even) more cohesive tracks, but the individual components here done incredibly well. This one's going on my playlist, and I look forward to more. I just wish it weren't the mash-up it is now.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01692 - Metroid "Cranial Syphon [Kay-raid]"