I want to buy a Wii

suzumebachi

Well, unfortunately the Wii is pretty lacking in everything for me to consider paying anything over it's original price for it. However, they're easy to snag, watch threads on CheapAssGamer/Slickdeals and other sites like that and you can easily grab one without paying out the ass for one. Amazon usually has them in stock daily with free shipping and no tax.

Good luck.

^

Exactly. $500 a Wii? Are they crazy?

I sold all of mine during the two or three weeks after Thanksgiving, on carefully chosen days & times after observations of when Wiis tended to go for the most on ebay (I also used those pricier visibility options, which paid off). It was desperation time for getting one of the hottest Christmas items, and I knew how to cash out :smile: .

I sold all of mine during the two or three weeks after Thanksgiving, on carefully chosen days & times after observations of when Wiis tended to go for the most on ebay (I also used those pricier visibility options, which paid off). It was desperation time for getting one of the hottest Christmas items, and I knew how to cash out :smile: .

Right, it was hot then, and has been out for quite a while now and paying anything over it's original price at this point in time is pretty goddamn dumb. My 2c really.

Yep, and I've even seen a few Wiis go for ~$600 for just the console on ebay, but those were pretty rare when compared to the number of Wiis that ebay went through during that time. My guess is that the mindset of these people is that they're working most of the time, and can't really be bothered to camp out for the consoles, so they pay the higher premium almost out of necessity. No doubt that some of these people make more money in the amount of time they would lose from camping (at work and being well-rested) that the choice is pretty clear for them.

Yep, and I've even seen a few Wiis go for ~$600 for just the console on ebay, but those were pretty rare when compared to the number of Wiis that ebay went through during that time. My guess is that the mindset of these people is that they're working most of the time, and can't really be bothered to camp out for the consoles, so they pay the higher premium almost out of necessity. No doubt that some of these people make more money in the amount of time they would lose from camping (at work and being well-rested) that the choice is pretty clear for them.

I guess. Or they just don't know how to wait for something and be patient. How hard is it to put the money aside, and get it when it's available? $200+ is quite a chunk of change to blow because you "GOTTA HAVZ IT NOW!", especially since that cash could get you several games.

Shit, I waited well over a year to get to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the PC I had at the time, and 13 years to finally play Curse for the MegaDrive. It's really not that tough to do.

I think it's usually the parents who have the cash to burn and want to indulge their kids. Not the relatively money smart gamer crowd.

I've seen many parents blow entire cars and expensive jewelery before, and going through it on the post office. $500 is nothing for indulgent grandmas.

I guess. Or they just don't know how to wait for something and be patient. How hard is it to put the money aside, and get it when it's available? $200+ is quite a chunk of change to blow because you "GOTTA HAVZ IT NOW!", especially since that cash could get you several games.

This goes beyond "GOTTA HAVZ IT NOW"...it's been sold out since its launch more than a year ago.

This goes beyond "GOTTA HAVZ IT NOW"...it's been sold out since its launch more than a year ago.

Also, when you've been a Nintendo loyalist for two decades, it's kinda difficult to sit back and watch the lemmings horde what you would appreciate ten times more.

It took me around 15 or so tries and four or five months to get a Wii.

Oh really Dhsu? Oh, I do appreciate it. I appreciate it every day for at least an hour, and I'm going to appreciate it to death when I get home, pretty blue light and all.

Let's just say that if the scalpers and trend followers (the ones who buy Wii sports and Zelda then put the thing in the closet) weren't around it would have been much easier to get a Wii. Also, I still think Nintendo is limiting the supply. At this rate, they will have a new console ready by the time Wiis are conveniently available.

Whine all you want, but the people willing to pay $350 deserve to have one more than you. And the people willing to pay $450 deserve one more than them, and so on. The fact is if you're not willing to pay someone else like Bahamut or Nekofrog to camp a Wii for you, you're gonna have to go out and do it yourself. Either way, it's time for people to either suck it up or shut it up.

I'm not against scalping because it blocked me from getting a Wii, since I got one Wii for myself and one for my parents both on launch day (Gamestop preorder + standing in line at the Best Buy across the street). It's just a practice I personally don't see as right, and don't respect. Again, you can try to justify it any way you want, but I'm not sure why you're defending it so strongly.

I got my Wii by chance as I just walked into my local best buy, which happens to be across the street from my job site, and picked it up as I saw it. :)!!

I saw my first Wii in the wild back in October and at Best Buy too, but I didn't have the money to buy it up right then and hoard it for the holiday shopping season.

And what's not right about reselling Wiis? If people are willing to pay the higher price for an ensured Wii, then what's to stop people from satisfying that demand? I camped 18 hours for my launch Wii, and I only paid the normal price + tax, while there were people driving by offering $200 cash just for my place in line, which I deemed too low to get me to leave my place. These are people who actively offered money without provocation of any kind.

A lot of people use the 'supply and demand' argument to justify scalping, but I don't buy it. I'm all about consumer's right to be able to purchase products at the suggested retail price.

Who says you don't have that right? Scalpers are using the exact same right, you know. You just have to get up a little early. And again, think about it this way...without scalpers, you would STILL have to get up early anyway! At least now, people have the option to pay an extra $100 or so to save themselves the trouble. It's a simple tradeoff: if you don't want to pay with money, you have to pay with time. The people who camp get their Wiis, and the people who pay an extra $100 get their Wiis. Either way, the people who want it the most get their console...the people unwilling to do either of those things wouldn't get one in any situation, scalpers or no.

But if there wasn't scalping, it would be easier for those people who really want the console to get them. But here's a little thing I'd like to add - There are much bigger problems in the world than lack of availability in consoles. And that's all.

The one time I went to a Best Buy early to try to get a Wii for reselling, there were a ton of people there (I was a few people off from the cutoff) - and there weren't many scalpers there from what I could tell. It was mostly families out trying to get a Wii for themselves, and Best Buy was cracking down on families trying to scalp wholesale.

And there are going to be people who really want to buy the Wii and are willing to pay more for the convenience. You act like these people aren't making a conscious decision.