Anyone working in the industry?

1makes2

I was just wondering how many remixers on here are employed in the videogame music industry? is this an Industry i should consider? is there a high demand?

I currently do live sound and recording but am looking to change gears. ive loved videogame music forever and want to be a part of it!

I was just wondering how many remixers on here are employed in the videogame music industry? is this an Industry i should consider? is there a high demand?

I currently do live sound and recording but am looking to change gears. ive loved videogame music forever and want to be a part of it!

personally, I would look into doing music for media as a whole (i.e. while games specifically might not be so big, music for things like tv shows and ads, radio, dvds etc would be much broader and more feasible).

That's partially correct. Any kind of music composition is VERY hard to break into and make a career out of. There are so many more people doing it than ever before, because the tools are cheaper than ever. Samples and loop libraries are automating more and more of the process and cutting out the need for professionals with certain skillsets. Previous cash cows for media composers, like advertising, are drying up because ad agencies and supervisors would rather license music from bands (who are DYING to get their name out there) than pay a professional to write from scratch. If they do pay, it's a fraction of what they used to.

Depressing? Yes. If you're going to do it, you need to be ready to work your ass off, be constantly reading and learning from other people, networking, improving your skills, promoting to potential clients, etc.

Depressing? Yes. If you're going to do it, you need to be ready to work your ass off, be constantly reading and learning from other people, networking, improving your skills, promoting to potential clients, etc.

I thought that was assumed in ANY part of the music industry ;)

Bands haven't got it any easier; getting signed is a pain in the ass, and there's just as much work when it comes to promoting etc. However, as zircon was saying, the amount of jobs in a specific area of music is very small. My brother in law (once removed :P) has several degrees, and he has a similar job to what I'd imagine zircon does (can't say for sure though, the university degrees here in Australia would differ somewhat over in America), although in addition, he also does a lot of 3D work. He's even worked for Pixar a couple of times; he has some impressive skill.

However, if you are an absolute god, it CAN be done...if your name is Nobuo Uematsu :P

(I swear, people must beg him to do music. Not hard to see why though; he is practically a god of music)

As a side note, the video game industry is very hard to get into in general.

There are a few remixers on OCR and VGMix who have game soundtracks or game audio on their resumé. Virt is one (VGMix owner), and OCR judge Wingless is another. If you talk to Wingless, be ready to hear how much he hates you because now you're on the other side of the video game equation in relation to him ;-)

All kidding aside, try talking to them. They may offer up some advice for you too, or share a story or two about how they got involved in that line of work.