OCR01734 - *YES* NiGHTS into dreams... 'Escape Into the Twilight'

Liontamer

Orig: http://vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/saturn/nid_ss_01.mid

Composers: Fumie Kumatani, Naofumi Hataya, Tomoko Sasaki

Year: 2008

That was boring...

--------------------------------------------------------------

NiGHTS Original Soundtrack - (02) "Gate of Your Dream"

Part of the reason I felt this used enough of the source material was because of the way Skryp retained the (quiet) beat pattern of the original (two pairs of beats on 1 and 3 in "Gate of Your Dreams", if I understand that correctly), but beefed them up and expanded their role. It was viable arrangement to me since the tone and general pattern was derived from the source tune. If those drums hadn't have been involved so integrally, I would have NOed the arrangement for being too liberal overall.

The instrumentation and mood of the arranged source melody didn't differ too much from "Gate of Your Dream", but the melody itself was greatly expanded compared to the source, albeit too liberally at times.

The overall feel of the piece was decidedly different from "Gate", with Andrew dousing it in his glitchy spices. Mellow and chill while being slightly off-kilter. A pretty good example of an arrangement going way out there in a liberally expansive sense without losing site of the original and going off the rails. Good stuff.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Great sound. It's extremely relaxing but the glitches give it detail. On the surface, it's very similar to the original, but this song has a lot more going on past keeping the same mood. It has much more of an arc.

The arrangement is pretty liberal but I don't think it's as hard a call as Larry did. The chord connection is nearly always there, plus a few iterations of the main melody and the back-up melody. I didn't hear the beat connection though, Larry - I hear kicks on beats 1, 2.75, and 3 in Andrew's song, and 1 and 1.5 in the original. Is there something I'm missing? Either way, I thought this was related enough. Great work, Andrew.

YES

• 2 months later...

Skrypnyk's back! :3

Yeah this is neat. You truly are a master of percussion and it really gets the track to new heights. The production is solid and the deep bass drum really sets a great mood for the piece. This reminds me of the band múm a lot.

As Palpable and Larry both pointed out, it's a tad liberal but it's not liberal enough to reject. I thought the source was present most of the time and when it wasn't the track still referenced to the original in terms of chords and mood. Nice harmonization and interesting instrumentation.

Skrypnyk, you're a hero for bringing this to OCR.

YES