OCR01764 - *YES* Goemon’s Great Adventure 'Kabuki Frogs'

Liontamer

Would need a <6MB version if this passes - LT

Hey people in powa!

Mix name: Kabuki Frogs

Game name: Mystical Ninja Goemon’s Great Adventure

Remixer name: RTF (former Red Tailed Fox, if it is ever possible to change the other name).

Site: http://www.myspace.com/musikrtf

I have a new mix for you guys, and it is from the fantastic Mystical Ninja series. I chose the game “Goemon’s Great Adventure” to pay my homage because that’s probably my favorite OST ever. So great, that I never actually got around to remixing one of the tunes without feeling completely unsatisfied in the end.

The track is "Burning My Soul" (track 20). I used part 1 as my base of ideas, but if I remeber correctly, parts 2 and 3 are more like rearrangments then separated songs (I could be wrong tough). Anyways, stick with part 1.

The purpose here was to capture the oriental-flavored homo-rocking goofy-funkness of the original songs and… just let it flow through my filter, really. There is not much I can add in terms of though: it was fun and there’s lotta solos.

PS.: I’d like to thank very much both zircon and JJT for the help they gave me here, and Shnabubula for providing the web space. You all rock and I love you all. And everybody else. And Goemon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/ggausf.rar - 20 "Burning My Soul (Part 1)"

Short theme, but surprisingly difficult to internalize, since the arrangement was so liberal. Wasn't easy picking up all of the connections. Would be interested in hearing Shna's take on this same theme, as it seems like it would suit his style.

Not too much to say here. I thought the track felt a little thin in the back, but the textures were still very nice, and I was really feeling the interpretation when I heard it in play. Good idea interpreting the bassline of the original and making more of a focal point for the arrangement, Caio!

Good stuff from 2:26 with the Goemon-style soloing. The fadeout ending worked pretty well. A very chill and relaxing listen.

Need a source breakdown from someone else. Pretty liberal, but still connected enough that it's nearly at 50% source usage with the overt connections I heard (:08-1:09, 1:25-1:58, 2:00-2:12, 2:38-2:42, 3:24-3:51). Someone else let me know if I'm missing anything, and I'll be able to decide on a vote. Meanwhile, I'll ask Caio as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Goemon OSTs and this song reminded me a bit of my own Oedo Hop, at least in spirit. This is really playful and funky, with some very memorable moments, like the phased tablas and the Hammond solo. I think some more light background parts could have filled it out more, but what's here is excellent.

I actually had no problems on how liberal this was. I agree with your breakdown, Larry, but the chord progressions are there in every section except 2:51 and I thought they were distinct enough to keep this on track. Great overt uses of the source too.

Production is smooth, light, and clean. Instrument levels might be a tad off at times, but this is easily a pass in my book.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Amazing processing of the tablas too, that really impressed me and helped kick up the production. Otherwise the instruments aren't the most fantastic but they work. I think the mixing could use a tiny bit more work, I would have liked to hear a less roomy clavinet and some finetuning of the levels. Some panning is quite confusing in headphones but works great on your home stereo, try it people!

Took me ages to find the source, can't play .miniusf it seems ;)

The arrangement is on the liberal side but not liberal enough by far to NO. Clear use of the source and great soloing over the chords.

All in all, great ReMix from a great musician! Moar plz!

YES