OC ReMix Unveils ReMixer Skills/Collaboration Database!

djpretzel

OC ReMix Unveils ReMixer Skills/Collaboration Database!

For Immediate Release

March 17th, 2008

FAIRFAX,VA--OverClocked ReMix today unveiled a new area of its website, www.ocremix.org, which allows registered artists to see who else uses a specific piece of music software, plays a particular instrument, or possesses other musical skills such as singing, audio engineering, and writing lyrics. The feature is designed to help aspiring artists see who uses what, to aid in evaluation of potential purchases, and to facilitate collaboration between all musicians registered on the site's forums.

The entrance to the skills/collaboration database is online at:

http://www.ocremix.org/remixing/

Registration on the site' forums is free; during and after registration, users are allowed to select the musical skills and tools they possess, and also indicate their willingness/availability to collaborate. These selections are reflected on the skills/collaboration interface, allowing ReMixers to find prospective collaborators more easily. Andrew Aversa, judge, ReMixer, and Project Director for Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream (http://ff7.ocremix.org/) writes:

"I've been collaborating with other mixers for years, but it's always been a bit tricky to find people with specific skills. The ability to see who is using what tools, and actually get more info and even BUY those tools, is also just incredibly cool. I wish I had access to this stuff when I first got to OCR!"

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation, preservation, and interpretation of video game music. Its primary focus is www.ocremix.org, a website featuring hundreds of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

--

If someone has set their status to "Not interested," why would they show up in the database? I know, in your profile, you can select skills and still specify your non-interest, but if the database is for collaboration purposes it seems kind of a waste of space to indicate this group.

One suggestion I have, not so much with the new exposure of database but with people's profiles, is to add specific categories for a few types of keyboards. Right now, I have Rhodes listed under the catch-all "other" category, and seeing organ might make some people think that I could play and record a pipe organ (which I can't) instead of a B3 (which I can).

One suggestion I have, not so much with the new exposure of database but with people's profiles, is to add specific categories for a few types of keyboards. Right now, I have Rhodes listed under the catch-all "other" category, and seeing organ might make some people think that I could play and record a pipe organ (which I can't) instead of a B3 (which I can).

Are you really worried about having your pipe organ skills misrepresented? Is this a serious concern?

It's lacking a "Renoise" category [or at least an "Other DAW" or "Trackers" section], other than that it looks pretty good to me!

I can understand overlooking Renoise as it's... less popular than other DAWs, but it does lend itself well to collaboration. And I use it. So there.

I'm with the coat guy on this. Trackers! I also think GarageBand should be added to the list (or the "Other DAW" box). Sure, it's limited, but there's still people using it, even pros, if Apple's articles are to be believed. There's the thread on ReMixing about using it, and it turns out there's a number of remixes that were done with it. Also, GarageBand projects can be imported into Logic, which makes collabs between the DAWs possible.