IRC Connection refused

Sengin

I have tried connecting through mirc and chatZilla to various irc servers (specifically for the purpose to find out the problem of not being able to connect to clanocr). I am getting "connection refused" through both clients. I have a feeling it might be because I'm on my campus' network and it's somehow blocking it, but I haven't had a problem with ports yet. Any ideas? I tried changing the port in mIRC, but it still tried to connect with the default 6667 and failed.

Thanks.

If it says "connection refused," then it's not good news. There isn't really a good way around this as your campus or school connection might actually think this server is a threat of some sort. Personally, I cannot log onto ETG from school no matter what I do, but at home, it's fine. Generally, what I would do is that I would not use the defaults they use. Try 7000, or 6666 or 6668. Sometimes those are more reliable than 6667. This, of course, is dependent on the server you're trying to access of course.

Good luck.

Well, I figured out the problem. It was my virus scanner (McAffee). Lately it's being a whiny bitch about everything (I can't disable it, everything is causing it to think something is hijacking my computer, etc...). Apparently it has a rule set that blocks mIRC from connecting through any port. So under the rule exclusions I added mirc.exe. It worked.