OCR00929 - Super Hang-On "Smooth Ride"

djpretzel

this song is very soothing, it hangs on to it's title, "Smooth Ride". and yes, fadeout's = not cool btu I can see the fadeout in the works here.

While debatable for this specific track, I don't get the seemingly widespread disrespect of fading out for an ending. It's a perfectly legitimate way to end a song, used by some of the best and/or most musically respected artists since it became an audio-engineering option. It's only a cop-out when the song truly called for something more dramatic or with specific closure - for the multitude of tracks that end on repetitions of a chorus, or any pattern within the song for that matter, I see it as an entirely viable conclusion.

It troubles me that, perhaps due to the espousing of a couple of the more "known" ReMixers here at OCR, many now believe fadeouts to be a musical deus ex machina, or invalid, "hack" compositional vice. Far more talented, deservedly famous, and experienced composers, musicians, and engineers have used fadeout endings effectively than I care to mention. Perhaps it's been misused often by ReMixers specifically here, at OCR, and perhaps not. But even if it had, I wouldn't see that as cause to make any blanket conclusions that it's a musical no-no.

I don't get the seemingly widespread disrespect of fading out for an ending.

You have a good point. I don't like fadeout endings. It's my opinion, and I don't find them as enjoyable as something with a definite end most of the time. I suppose I shouldn't go "Fadeout ending ARRRGG!" or something. I guess I'll respect it, but still not like it.

haha i did that a couple times.. i dont think i was riding on public opinion when i said it though =\

neway.. good stuff malcos, ive been looking for something like this for a while. and what AP was saying... i definately coulda heard a xylophone solo going on.. but since u had the piano going on too, maybe it woulda been a stretch. but i think some kinda -phone/bells thing would have sounded great ;)

Good tune, nice reworking of Super Hang-On. I am one who believes that it is impossible to improve on the original except for better sounding instruments, but the composition of the original melody, etc is perfect as is. If someone disagrees, please prove me wrong and I guarantee I'll love your remix! Malcos gives us a different interpretation, however, and there's nothing wrong with that! Fadeout ending didn't bother me at all.

I can say why I don't like fade out endings personally. When you go to a concert, if the song the band is playing has a fade out ending on the album, it gets a real ending in concert... its not like the sound guy is going to just slowly lower the master volume controls at the end of the song right? So I guess for me, even on synthesized music, its a hold over from that.

However here I must say that a fade out ending worked well. Malcos... Super Hang On... SO FREAKING HAPPY! :D I've been seriously contemplating a Super Hang On mix myself lately, so I've been listening to the gyms a lot. That makes me appreciate this all the more. The hip hop style with a laid back feel is incredible. This is going to get a lot of playing time in my Winamp guarenteed. :D

Okay Malcos..Great to finally hear some more mixes, lets start! <songplayed> Totally awesome man, the beat is like..whoooaa. Despite a few minor boring issues with those static chords in the backround, this mix really shines, the piano could also use some touch-ups in a few places, but there are also times, when it shines so well, it forces your attention on it, that I like. Certainly worth the download.

0:01 - Interesting...

0:10 - Boom. The beat is almost too damn good. Excellent work. Piano works fairly well also.

0:33 - Deffinitely diggin' the vibe...

1:00 - While the vibe is certainly diggable, The Piano could use sommore work.

1:17 - This piece could use a bit more expression.. While it sounds beautiful.. i still think the piano could use a bit more work.

1:57 - Excellent Change here. love the change-up. Mm.. Delicious.

2:07 - While this song is Great. my biggest note is that its fairly static, it doesnt change as a whole too much, i mean, sure there are the occassional shifts, but that mood stays the same the entire time, and while thats typically not a bad thing, i find that after a few listens, those SAME CHORDS in the backround get Dreadfully old, to the point of where they drown out that beautiful supportive lead and medly.

3:10 - Diggin' the beat though, The beat is probably the highlight for me, it shows flavor, emotion, and it helps bring the song to life more than *any* element for me. And as for the ending .. ugh. it works. i mean, it fits the mix in an okay way, and i deem it usable, but. I Certainly think that it could've been far better.

The day I made this I was in a very chilled out, very calm mood and I suppose that came out in the mix. I'm usually a bit more hyped up, especially when I'm making a remix!

I knew that I had to cover this track eventually, as Super Hang On was the first game I ever put into my megadrive.

K-Wix, I do agree, it is a little static compared to my previous stuff, but like I said, I was just too laid back that day! Hope you enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Out of everything I have heard so far on ocremix, this, by far, remains my absolute favorite. The beat, percussion and piano throughout is well... a smooth ride. This song epitomizes, to me at least, gaming as an art form and more importantly the connotations this site has to get people to reconigze gaming as a symphony of art, music and math in its' highest form, instead of all the negative images usually associated with gaming.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Classy.

This mix has a chill and windswept vibe to it, and works equally well as background music, or driving music. The hip hop groove and open structure would also lend itself really well to some lyrics, either sung or rapped.

It's a bit more nostalgic sounding than what you'd imagine to be "motorcycle music", and more emotional. I love the bass and the syncopated wide strings, and the beat is really nice as well. All the components really fit together here to create something thats eminently listenable.

I really like this one, be sure to check it out.

• 2 years later...

Everything slows down when I put this on.

Discovered this about a week ago. Went straight to repeat and has stayed there for well over an hour a day since. K.B.'s dictionary now has the perfect audio track to exemplify the word 'chill'.

I can hear the complaints that this doesn't do a lot. After all, the melody is fairly close to the source's, about a quarter of the source isn't used, and things are kept low-key the entire way. But I don't have any of those qualms. The style is drastically different, the bit that was left off was synth-riffage that obviously wouldn't have fit the mood, and keeping things mellow is this track's distinguishing feature... that it also happens to nail. The snare sticks out a bit because of its abrupt decay (wish this had Army Girl's snare, which was hot), but aside from that the sounds are perfect. That string-keyboard mashup is the best thing ever. Hooked me right from the first chord. Everything else works just as well: upright bass is sexy, bass drum gets the head nodding, hi-hat paces the groove, and the piano is fantab... whisks those worries away.

This is my newest sit back, have a brew, and unwind track.

Thanks, Malcos. I'll be enjoying this one for a long time to come.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00929 - Super Hang-On "Smooth Ride"