OCR TF2 Team: Gametime 9 PM EST on OCR server MWF + some weekends

zircon

you mean, other than just not using intel chipsets? or x64 windows?

That would work fine if he didn't want to play TF2. He could have bought a Intel Mac but the price would have skyrocketed compared to the components he got. Installing Linux wouldn't really work as your casual PC gamer probably wouldn't spend the time to get their games up and running at full speed (if they could be played at full speed).

by intel chipsets, i was referring specifically to chipsets designed by intel, not intel-based mobos. aka, 3.5gigs of ram with xp is better than 4 with vista, considering that vista takes up so much just by itself. or, x64 windows xp would allow 8 gigs of ram used.

Well, my view is that since XP isn't really supported anymore by Microsoft, I might as well future proof me for the next few years, and upgrade whenever it'll be necessary.

Well, my view is that since XP isn't really supported anymore by Microsoft, I might as well future proof me for the next few years, and upgrade whenever it'll be necessary.

The problem with that is that Vista's a crippling POS...

XP is still supported for a couple of years. By the time it's actually cut off, Vista's issues ought to be fixed along with the OEM discs being cheaper...

That said, TF2 runs beautifully on my rig. :)!!

Gentz Weizer/Schwaltzvald/[GCC}Setzer Gambiani my occasional ID name :)!!

That's a good setup Bahamut. I have less than that actually on the new desktop I just build this past weekend and the game runs smooth as hell for me.

Intel Core Duo 2.40Ghz

4GB Ram

300GB Harddrive

Nvidia GeForce 7800GT

Windows Vista Home Premium

I too decided to get Vista because it was actually cheaper than getting XP Professional and because I wanted to get an OS that will be supported for a long time. After reading this is in an article I figured I should get Vista.

Microsoft has already made changes in its timetables. Last year, the company extended the sales life cycle -- the time during which PC manufacturers and system builders could sell computers with XP installed -- to June 30, 2008. It will stop selling XP altogether on Jan. 31, 2009. And it extended the mainstream support period for XP to April 14, 2009, in an effort to reassure customers made nervous by the long delays in shipping Vista.

Source: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9070119

Anyway I look forward to TF2 gaming with you all sometime. :)

have fun having standard I/O functions not work half the time.

i'd be surprised, anyways, if developers (developers developers DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS) stop writing for xp any time soon. there's SO MANY MORE people still running vista.

QFE

In about two years supposedly M$ Corp's going to roll out with Windows 7 which from what I hear/read is that it's going to be the most "modular" windows OS ever...

Back on topic... I do hope possible OCR tourneys for TF2 will arise :)!!

Does 3.5 gigs of RAM still function in dual channel? If it doesn't then running 3.5 gigs of RAM is kinda moot for me since I'd rather have it running dual channel.

Yes, it does, and memory is cheap enough to warrant the 32 bit barrier loss.

• 4 weeks later...