Women in the video game industry

Ninja-san

I'm currently writing an essay on women in the video game industry. This applies more to the game development, characters and story lines rather those that play. The field is gradually expanding for women but still very hard to get into since it is a male dominant field.

I guess the reason I posted this is hopefully get your opinions but more importantly hope somewhere on the site is a woman game developer who can give me a first hand response on the subject.

You'd probably have a better chance of finding males in the game industry, and having them contact the females within the company if they'd like to give a word or two.

Not that The Wingless would know any males in the game industry on a personal basis, or anything...

is to have that one chick to sit down next to them and enjoy the thing we love best... gaming

u virtually need noone else if your girlfriend/wife games with you. its the male equivalent to shopping with your woman or doing something she likes, like tending the flowers or watching the kids.

a gamers life is complete if his significant other games with him/her its just that awesome!

p.s.

this goes for sports also

You might want to stay away from the fonts and colors...most people dislike them.

Also, nobody reads the subject line in each post, so don't put anything important in there...especially if it's necessary to understand the rest of your post. It took me several seconds to even figure out what you were talking about.

The Sims has everything. I have probably put more hours into The Sims than many WoW addicts have put into their level 70s.

You can design stuff, of course. There's economics and money handling/planning, controlling characters and manipulating every detail of their life. I know I love sim/play god types of games.

Cooking mama for sure didn't hold my interest - however when I bought Pokemon Diamond, two other girls (granted they were half my age at least) also picked it up at the same time.

And to respond to V-classik Altibot - that's not always the case - sometimes guys don't like the fact that their woman is all up in their everything and plays games with them, or will be sore when she kicks their ass. More often then not though, it's good to have someone to play Rock Band or co-op Gears of War with.

Most women who seem to do game design are usually artists or musicians. Have anyone eles notice this or am I the only one?

Ladies, there seems to be a lack of you guys in the business. Why is that? (also in b4 no girls on the intranetz.)

Also, as a black guy I gotta say this- There's also a lack of Blacks/African Americans in game design/art/programming/music/etc. In fact, blacks only make up 2% of the whole industry.

Now women in Video Games- Am I the only guy who pissed off when females are display with very short mini-skirts, large breast, blonde hair and blue eyes?

Also, play some of the older Fire Emblem games. Not all the female characters in that game are healers or magic users mind you. Ayra (Ira) from Fire Emblem 4 comes as an example. She's the most popular Fire Emblem female character in the series (next to Lyn). You want to know why? She's not that stereotypical heroine. She will beat your ass because of her swordmenship. She don't use magic at all, or get involve with melodrama romance.

I suppose not depending on what she does in the sound department. Does she mix or compose the sounds/music?

I think she is a composer but I'm not 100% sure. The next time I see her (soon I hope) I'll let you know. I know that her husband (who also works at Blizzard) is a composer.

I would think that it's easier for a girl to break into the industry assuming she is actually qualified for the job...

If my school is any indication of what the gaming industry looks like, or even a handful of it, the majority of people coding these games, well...aren't exactly girl savvy. They'd probably jump at the opportunity to higher a a female. Diversify the office and what not.

That is unless people are just generally afraid to hire a female.

I would think that it's easier for a girl to break into the industry assuming she is actually qualified for the job...

If my school is any indication of what the gaming industry looks like, or even a handful of it, the majority of people coding these games, well...aren't exactly girl savvy. They'd probably jump at the opportunity to higher a a female. Diversify the office and what not.

That is unless people are just generally afraid to hire a female.

I hired a female one time...

Sometimes it's not landing the job, it's being able to withstand the environment. I field tech calls all day and i STILL get the "Can I talk to a tech?" meaning "Can I talk to someone who isn't female, since you're obviously a receptionist?" I have people go as far as trying to "test" me on my knowledge, and actually apologize when they realize that no, i'm not reading from a script.

Now of course this isn't true of every company that has to do with technology - but to me it seems that a hiring manager placed with the challenge of hiring two possible applicants, one male one female, with identical credentials may choose to place the male in a more techy job and the female in more of a paperwork position - because he thinks that she might bruise her little hands and heart working with tough guys all day.

I do, however, feel this has changed significantly in even the last 10 years. Most of the people who scoff and ask to speak to a technician (someone male) are likely older and used to a different generation.

Hmmmm...

I probably could have opted to study in the game design field but I wasn't really interested.

I have to admit that game engines and 3d design don't really interest me as a whole. I approach things like music and art from a more abstract perspective, and the tech stuff I've had to grind on to learn... Maybe conceptually, but I didn't pick up the actual application quick.

That's just me though.

Anyway, going to a school filled with people doing this however, I did notice that the ratio of women aiming for a career in this field was pretty damn slanted. I'd say 1 girl in the class per 20 guys sounds about right. But I also noticed that many times, there'd be one really damn talented or driven female that would be probably 1st or 2nd in the class overall, that would get all the honors/awards/recognition to move on and possibly succeed in the future. I haven't been to school in a few years so I don't know what is going on now, but I'd have to say that at least from observation, the females that ARE studying in more techy fields like game design and programming etc. (maybe not so much other fields like graphic design/etc.) probably have a better grasp on what they want to do and therefore will have something to show for it when all is said and done. Only time will really tell though... Like I said, this is just what I observed.

And that being said, there are still plenty of the "flakes" that are just going to school because of their parent's funding for it and really have no idea what they should do with their life because up until recently, no one has really challenged them to think it through *_*

Ok, I got her name. Kirin Landsgaard. She works in the sound dept as a quote "green light person" as she put it. Kinda of a semi-producer...but not. I found out this week she is going to Seatle to hire musicans to make an Orchestra to record for the next WOW installment. And no, don't ask what she know's about the next WOW. She has to stay tight lipped about it. She also has a Myspace page. Just search her name to find her.