MGS... should I..?

Schwaltzvald

Overreaction maybe?

yeah perhaps, then again I was kinda being a dick as I already bought it yesterday when I saw it on amazon :lol:

I just wanted to post about it in case nobody else heard about it without feelimg like some spamming advertiser; much like how I didn't hear about SH:0 being available for the ps2 last week.

Actually, on this topic, did they add any new content that would make it worthwhile for people who already own the games to get it? I actually only relatively recently picked up MGS2 and 3, but haven't gotten a chance to play them yet, then have Twin Snakes for Gamecube (which I really enjoyed).

Twin Snakes is like a neutered form of MGS though... even with its pretty graphic overhaul, the original was still one of the best versions of MGS. I would even rate the ridiculous MGS2 over Twin Snakes personally.

Also, why don't they have the VR Missions? That disc was one of the best versions of Metal Gear ever made.

And I'm pretty peeved that I spent at least $200 on the Metal Gear Solid games for what amounts to $30 now..

Twin Snakes is like a neutered form of MGS though... even with its pretty graphic overhaul, the original was still one of the best versions of MGS. I would even rate the ridiculous MGS2 over Twin Snakes personally.

Also, why don't they have the VR Missions? That disc was one of the best versions of Metal Gear ever made.

And I'm pretty peeved that I spent at least $200 on the Metal Gear Solid games for what amounts to $30 now..

you sound as if you are new to how video games work

this trend has happened for quite a while when it comes to series

why don't they have the VR Missions? That disc was one of the best versions of Metal Gear ever made.

Here's what I've gleaned from the store on the description to the collection.

Metal Gear Solid

Lightly armed and facing an army of foes, Snake must avoid firefights in order to survive.

If Snake is discovered, he can utilize advanced weaponry, ranging from silenced pistols to ground-to-air missiles.

Enemies react to sight and sound.

State-of-the-art graphics: Textures, transparencies, models and explosions.

Suspenseful, gripping story with multiple endings for a truly cinematic experience.

---

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

350+ VR missions and 150+ alternative missions.

Play through 5 "Snake Tales" levels involving Solid Snake.

Skateboarding mode lets you explore the Big Shell as Raiden or Snake.

Utilize stealth and infiltration methods, such as diving somersaults, hanging from ledges and using disguises.

Fully interactive environments- bullets pierce steam pipes, smoke reveals laser beams and wet shoes leave footprints.

Powerful musical score composed by Harry Gregson-Williams (Shrek, Armageddon, The Rock)

---

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Relive history as the cold war and geo-political landscape change.

Outsmart enemies with camouflage, close-quarters combat, stalking, interrogating, climbing, hunting and treating injuries.

Pit yourself against an environment where traps catch enemies and prey, threats lurk in the shadows, and noise alert predators.

Epic musical score composed by Harry Gregson-Williams (Shrek, Armageddon, The Rock) and immersive Dolby Prologic II surround sound.

Are those 350 VR missions what you were referring to..?

How do you mean? I understand they added the first-person view stuff from MGS2, and obviously updated the graphics, but did they actually change anything else/remove anything)?

You start with a maxed health bar and ammo capacity, too.

Oh, gotcha. So, pretty much, they just made Twin Snakes too easy compared to the original release. I guess so long as content wasn't taken out, though, I can live without having played the original PSX version after playing Twin Snakes.

I laughed several times during this thread.mostly here.

If you even have to ask that question, you are suffering from stupid and AIDS. Also probably dick ants. Yes. Buy it. Several times. Beat all 3, then go buy a PS3 and shit bricks while you wait for the 4th.

and here

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

Buy that bad-ass motherfucker.

I agree completely. I own mgs, mgs2 (not substance) mgs3 (and mgs3 subsistence.) and i even thought about picking it up. $30 is a great deal. I must warn you, when June rolls around you're going to want that ps3 bundle (if you don't have one already). Now's a good time to jump into the series.

MGS 1 is great. However, if you're a newcomer to the series, you should be warned that aiming can actually be a bit awkward, since there's no FPS zoom (for most weapons), which they added later on to the series. It's worth sticking out.

But this is better than the Twin Snakes. Graphics may not be, but you get better music, and no stupid Matrix-y cut scenes, that were added later on. You still get good cut scenes, they just don't involve Snake kicking rockets.

Plus, this has arguably the best set of bosses in the series. Although MGS3's group might offer you better battles, this group is probably cooler.

And the story is among the best of the series.

I'm really glad that I came across this topic today, because otherwise I may never have heard about this MGS Package. Here are the Metal Gear Solid games I own so far:

Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)

Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (Playstation)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)

The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence *Limited Edition* (PS2)

Having bought all of the games already included in "Metal Gear Solid: The Essentials"...and then some, I'm still planning on buying this collection. The main draw for me is the re-release of the original Metal Gear Solid. My original copy of Metal Gear Solid has been pretty abused over the years and I could really use a new copy of that amazing game.

Even though a few people have mentioned it already...this is a STEAL for anybody who doesn't already own any Metal Gear Solid games and a great way to prepare yourself for MGS4.

Are those 350 VR missions what you were referring to..?

Nope. There was a definitive Metal Gear Solid game called VR Missions (tacky name I know). MGS2 also had its own VR missions, but it's not the same. I think the MGS2 ones are missing the giant-soldiers ones in the original. I'm still a bit terrified of the giant soldiers..

How do you mean? I understand they added the first-person view stuff from MGS2, and obviously updated the graphics, but did they actually change anything else/remove anything)?

Like everyone says, the game is much easier than it ever was. Though I think MGS always needed better camera system because you really can't aim anywhere (no FPS mode, very restricted looking mode, etc). Also, the original favoring with the foreign accents and its darker feel is missing in the remake. Like how they say in the interviews that they purposely made Twin Snakes over the top with Hong Kong style acrobatics. I think it's still a very good remake. Just not the same as the good old original. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros and then playing Super Mario Bros in Super Mario Allstars. It's just not the same experience with the slight overhaul.

So what's the difference between the 2 MGS2s and the 2 MGS3s? I got Sons of Liberty and Subsistence, but how are these different from Substance and Snake Eater, respectively?

MSG2's second version only added the VR missions. The other MGS3 game Subsistence had a lot of new features in the second disc including the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 (IMO just as great as the 3D versions except for the lack of any theatrical feel and none of the great voice acting). That and MGS3 had a pretty horrible online mode added in with people cheating or acting cheap with shotguns all the time.

Explain further. I was under the impression that most, if not all, of the improvements made were technical, and that the story was only enhanced, not diminished. In preparation for MGS4, I want to play through the entire series thus far (including the GBC and PSP games) and, since MGS is from the realm of bad (by today's standards) 3D, I figured I'd play the updated version (which I haven't played yet). So tell me why I shouldn't.