fl studio versions...which one should I get?

I've been planning on buying a copy of fl studio for a while now, and I've decided to do it now (as I have dire need of it for a few projects that I'm trying to do). I'm probably going to buy it through image-line, owing to the whole free upgrades with digital purchases.

But which version to buy? My needs aren't all that demanding; basically all I need is to be able to use the piano roll, import/export functions, soundfonts and vsts (and maybe some other plugins; like I said, I'm not too picky on my needs, just need the basics). I have a copy of sonar as well, so that helps a bit too with cutting down on the functions I need (I can use sonar to do stuffs with my keyboard, amongst other things :P).

So, in your opinion, which version should I get? While I'm thinking of getting either the express or fruity editions (both of which are downloadable), I'm open to any suggestions anyone has in regards to "must haves". Just bear in mind I'd rather not get a boxed version if it means shipping: Australia+overseas shipment=d347h.

FYI the price for the producer edition is about to jump up to $199 in a matter of days when FL8 is officially released.

A lot of people have bought the producer edition and then bought the Fruity Soundfont to to use soundfonts. Do you have SFZ player for soundfonts with Sonar. With XXL you are just getting more synth and plugins. It's the version below Producer and XXL where features start to get cut.

What version of Sonar do you have? 5,6 7? Home, Producer etc...?

What features in FL do you need that you would go out and buy it?

FYI the price for the producer edition is about to jump up to $199 in a matter of days when FL8 is officially released.

A lot of people have bought the producer edition and then bought the Fruity Soundfont to to use soundfonts. Do you have SFZ player for soundfonts with Sonar. With XXL you are just getting more synth and plugins. It's the version below Producer and XXL where features start to get cut.

What version of Sonar do you have? 5,6 7? Home, Producer etc...?

What features in FL do you need that you would go out and buy it?

In fl, I'm mainly after the soundfont player, and the piano roll (along with the ability to use vst instruments). The sonar version is Home Studio 6, and to my knowledge, it has a sound font player of some description, but I prefer the one in fl.

In the ways of synths and plugins, I'm more of a DIY person; I'm not really interested in paying extra for synths or plugins. So long as I can use soundfonts and vsts, along with the piano roll function, I'm happy.

In fl, I'm mainly after the soundfont player, and the piano roll (along with the ability to use vst instruments). The sonar version is Home Studio 6, and to my knowledge, it has a sound font player of some description, but I prefer the one in fl.

In the ways of synths and plugins, I'm more of a DIY person; I'm not really interested in paying extra for synths or plugins. So long as I can use soundfonts and vsts, along with the piano roll function, I'm happy.

you know, I used to think the same way (mainly because of limited $$$) but it's not a bad thing at ALL to invest in an occasional professional/high end virtual instrument.

Fl Studio Producer ($149) + Sound Font Player ($35) = $175

Also you'll save $ in the future bc Fl has free upgrades.

There are free plugins to play soundfonts out there. Does Sonar Home Studio not allow vst plugins?

Frankly if you are buying FL for it's piano roll and work flow then def go for it. If you like Sonar's workflow, but you like FL's piano roll I might look into upgrading to one of the Sonar 7 versions since you can customize how it's piano roll interacts. It also has a step sequence built in as well. I don't know the limitations of these features between the different versions of Sonar off the top of my head though.

you might want to check out kvraudio.com (music news website, excellent I might add) and download all the free vsts (which are good, but not as good as say massive or absynth.) Then you can also download cockos reaper (program to run the vsts) and it is fully functional with soundfont sfz. All this you can get for free and there are a hell of a lot of sites to download good free audio samples off of.

edit-- items in bold you might want to type into google

Thanks for that all: I'm glad I asked here first. Its amazing just how little you know, until you ask :P

I'll definitely look into Sonar; if nothing else, it should get me by while I consider all that is said here :) I swear it has a vst function (as many other programs do), so I'll look into it :)

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

And if you decide to buy FL or any of the Image Line products I can get you a 10% off discount with the promo link in my sig, good luck! And by the way, you can buy any version of FL via online download, it sounded as though you were confused about that. Which version you getreally depends on what you need, but since there's a rather minimal price difference I'd recommend just getting producer as you may regret not getting a higher version if you get express or fruity. I wouldn't recommend XXL either because it has a lot of excessive features which you don't really need, but check the comparison chart on the website and decide for yourself.