*NO - djpretzel VETO* Lemmings (SNES) 'The Revenge of Mr. Lemming'

djpretzel

Hi

I've made a remix of the tune Lemming1 from Lemmings (as it was named in the SNES-version at least), and it would make me so happy if it could be crowned OC Remix :)

For your listening pleasure, the actual URL:

The remix name is of course "The Revenge of Mr Lemming", and (this is the crucial info!) it's based on a midi I made six years ago. Sounds somewhat better now, though.

Feel free to correct me on any errors in the ID3-tag. I'm pretty sure Tim Wright composed the original...

And last but not least, thank you for a great music site!

//David Öhlin aka Caesar

---------------------------------caesar---

caesar@kth.se

http://w1.874.telia.com/~u87422502/

It's well arranged, and the panning is interesting, the organ being placed on the right. The beat would be out of place in any other remix, but this is appropiriate for lemmings. The only 2 crtiticisms for this mix is that the piano could do with some more reverb, and it seemed as if the ending was just a chord slapped on at the end. But anyway

YES

The sax sets the upbeat mood of the mix, but at times is so loud that it drowns out the piano. As for the piano, its playing is best when it's in motion; the notes are a bit basic at the breaks in the melody. But the arrangement is quality, the samples are sonically clean, the tune is catchy, and we haven't had a Lemmings mix in ages.

Why is this bringing up memories of PBS cartoons...

YES

hmm, not much added to this mix outside of the pads. I mean, even the leads are the same. Hmm, actually I think the original lead was an "electric guitar" but the original samples are so bad, it's hard to tell. The drums are slightly different, and the bass is in 6/8 time instead of the 4/4 from the original. I dunno. The instruments are of pretty high quality, though. And the ending seems ... eh. I'm kind of on the line about this one, but I'm leaning towards no, since the thing just repeated the same thing instead of really varying, so:

NO

D

The first time I listened to this, I had some doubts, but after finding and listening to the SPC it's apparant very very few liberties were taken with the structure, melodies, chord progression, and even the instrumentation.

Given the simplicity of the original, I think a lot could have been done here musically, but instead it comes off as lacking.

no

• 2 weeks later...

The sounds are passable, although they sound very unrealistic in comparison to their real-life versions, but that's to be expected unless you have LOTS of money to spend on very expensive soundfonts or gigasamples or whatever. This is why I try to avoid using strings in my songs (although I do have to sometimes).

Arrangement is very nice. I'm not greatly familiar with the original in that I haven't heard it in a long time, but this song didn't bore me, so yay.

It sounds to me as though a fair share of work went into this, with positive results, and based on the fact that worse songs have gone through and worse songs actually DO exist on OCR (worse by my opinion, of course), I'll give it a

YES

For the first time, after listening to this a bit more, I think I'm gonna have to veto. Obviously, I've not done this in the past and probably won't again for some time (?), but though the arrangement is upbeat I just can't see the overall work as being a yes. It's not a question of whether there are worse songs already on OCR - we need to look ahead more than we do behind, and set a higher bar.

The instrumentation and mixing here are sub-OCR. The arrangement itself is rather simple, not elaborate enough to stand all by itself as the sole salient justifier.

So, on this close vote, for the first time I feel the need to intervene, and switch this back to a 'No' . . . hope that doesn't severely rock anyone's world or piss people off.