Sonic Unleashed revealed and confirmed!

SwordBreaker

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167059

http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/

Hell yes! Now this is what I'm talking about! Sonic back to it's 2D roots, baby. Enough of this 3D crap for consoles.

Holy shit, Wolf Sonic looks awesome...no matter how much people say it's a Twilight Princess rip-off.

Anyway, awesome video and excellent-looking screenshots. It's about time they go back to the roots seeing that most 3D Sonic games were critically bombed. Keeping it 2D, putting those dynamic camera angles from 3D Sonic games, and borrowing from Wii's "The Secret Rings" in some segments is one hell of a combination.

Thoughts? This game plus BioWare's RPG is more than enough for the blue hedgehog to return in full force!

from the video looks like you can just press --> and jump every once in a while and have no difficulty

too linear without extra paths

nny said it best

You buy a Sonic Team game thinking "maybe they got it right this time...."

But they never do.

Plus, it definitely has some 3D still. It's true that it seems largely 2.5D, but at some point the camera does shift to behind Sonic.

I'd really love to see it work. I do. But I'm a pessimist, and after SA2 (some people think before, but I liked the first two) things pretty much hit the bottom. Let's see if they can bring it back.

I see a little bit of potential here, but Atma's right, it does look like you can just press --> the whole time. Still maybe that was just the first level and other levels will mix it up a bit more. It'd be nice to see a good Sonic game be released again after all of this time, but I wouldn't get my hopes up at this point.

Well, it's only recently been revealed. I'd say there may be a lot more to the finished project than just your straightforward run with a few jumps splattered in. In fact, if it were anyone OTHER than Sonic Team making this game, I'd be positive about it. But considering Sonic Team doesn't know jack-squat about how to make a good Sonic game anymore, I remain at best cautiously optimistic.

EDIT:

Looking at the video footage, I'd say they took a note out of Rush's book by having Sonic be able to speed boost and clear foes right out of his path. Arguably, you could say speed break did the same thing in Secret Rings, but... looks much more like the Tension System in Rush. Though at the same time the video makes me question just how much side scrolling it is. The more the better.

I liked what I saw from the videos. I really dig this game's sense of speed. I agree with Atma about it perhaps being too linear, though. If they add some branching paths though, I'm sold. I liked the relative simplicity of the older 2d sonics.

I also like Coops idea a lot. Sonic HD would be awesome

Picture it...

1280x720 at a 16:9 ratio, animation that's roughly two->three times the frames of Sonic 3 on every enemy and character, backgrounds filled with lush and smooth animation for the grass/trees/water/etc, tunes that share common audio links while still reflecting the area types they play in, all at a rock steady 60fps no matter how many enemies and effects are on the screen.

And not a polygon in sight.

Ah, if only Sega could see past the 3D realm they've been so infatuated with since Sonic Adventure.

Ionno, I've been skeptical about the 2D Sonic games lately. The ones on the Genesis/Saturn were perfect, but the ones on the GBA felt like I was just holding right and jumping randomly not knowing what in the Hell I was doing almost like he's going TOO fast. After watching the vid, it really looked like the GBA games to me, except in 3D.

Picture it...

1280x720 at a 16:9 ratio, animation that's roughly two->three times the frames of Sonic 3 on every enemy and character, backgrounds filled with lush and smooth animation for the grass/trees/water/etc, tunes that share common audio links while still reflecting the area types they play in, all at a rock steady 60fps no matter how many enemies and effects are on the screen.

And not a polygon in sight.

Ah, if only Sega could see past the 3D realm they've been so infatuated with since Sonic Adventure.

I've been wanting the same thing for Metroid for quite some time my friend... well, it'd have to be a different resolution since the Wii doesn't do 720p, but you know what I mean :P

also, lol

opb053editcur0060qe3.th.jpg

Ionno, I've been skeptical about the 2D Sonic games lately. The ones on the Genesis/Saturn were perfect, but the ones on the GBA felt like I was just holding right and jumping randomly not knowing what in the Hell I was doing almost like he's going TOO fast. After watching the vid, it really looked like the GBA games to me, except in 3D.

Play the Sonic Rush games. They're very good.

Holy crap. Sonic has flat shoes and is not 700 feet tall. Now let's see music of the same as Sonic 3&K. Since I played Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles so much as a kid this has me in high hopes. However, I still remain cautious. But still, the flat shoes, normal height, and no sign of any new characters (i.e. Big, Chaos, Shadow, old chars would still be cool a la Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik) looks promising. I say, make the game a true sequel (read: worthy sonic game) and call it Sonic 4, not Sonic Unleashed.