Rock Band Wii... ... and it's utter failure.

Nekofrog

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51893

Update: A Harmonix representative has confirmed to Shacknews that the Wii edition of Rock Band will not include online multiplayer or support for downloadable content.

Such online functionality was a highly-touted feature of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 releases, having sold over six million song downloads since the two versions debuted last November.

Furthermore, a post by Harmonix's Sean Baptiste on the game's official forums noted that the Rock Band Wii instruments are stand-alone controllers that do not require a Wii Remote to be plugged in.

His statement suggests the title will not be compatible with the guitar controller released for the Wii version of Vicarious Vision's Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, which mandate that a Wii Remote be inserted into the guitar-shaped controller shell.

Original Story:: Despite pending litigation, MTV-owned developer Harmonix has announced that its music-based multi-instrument title Rock Band will hit the Wii on June 22 in North America.

The Wii version will come with a total of 63 songs, five of which are bonus songs. A full list of the 63 tracks was not provided, though the initial 58 are expected to mirror the 45 main songs and 13 bonus tracks of the previously-released PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 editions.

A Special Edition bundle--containing a wireless guitar, drum kit, and microphone--will sell for $169.99. Stand alone instruments and software will also be available at release, allowing Special Edition buyers to pick up the extra guitar needed for a four-person band.

As with past Rock Band releases, publisher Electronic Arts will handle the game's distribution. The company had previously revealed the existence of the Wii edition, though it did not specify a release timeframe at the time.

"The Wii's success among casual and core gamers of all ages makes it an ideal match for the cross-generational appeal of the music featured in Rock Band," explained vice president of MTV's games division Bob Picunko.

"The social interaction and addictive nature of the Rock Band experience is a perfect fit for the Wii and will undoubtedly be fun for the entire family," added Nintendo licensing VP Steve Singer.

Well, fuck you EA. My GF and I were really looking forward to this, as neither of us have a PS3 (roffle, why buy that?) or a 360 (maybe some day).

But no multiplayer? You can fuck right off there, EA.

imo you can pin SOME (not all - some) of the multiplayer issue on Nintendo... PSN and XBL have commonalities that, I'd guess, make their programming/support a bit easier.

I know this argument has been hashed out a hundred times, but to me, Wii friend codes are a ridiculous implementation of online gaming, and ties lack of 720p+ support as the console's biggest weakness.

I don't think EA are actively trying to stick it to Wii users... I'm guessing there are technical issues that make the ROI problematic. It'd be interesting to find this sort of thing out, 100%...

I feel bad for the Wii owners who were looking forward to this title. The whole point of Rock Band was the ability to play together like... well.. a rock band. With the internet now here, they should take advantage of it to connect people to be able to play together.

But if anything, I would like EA to fail massively at this. There are already so many titles that EA has profited off of undeservedly. Ideally, I want them to admit that they've been shafting the end user whenever they had the opportunity to.

imo you can pin SOME (not all - some) of the multiplayer issue on Nintendo... PSN and XBL have commonalities that, I'd guess, make their programming/support a bit easier.

I know this argument has been hashed out a hundred times, but to me, Wii friend codes are a ridiculous implementation of online gaming, and ties lack of 720p+ support as the console's biggest weakness.

I don't think EA are actively trying to stick it to Wii users... I'm guessing there are technical issues that make the ROI problematic. It'd be interesting to find this sort of thing out, 100%...

Q.F. FUCKING. E. My hatred of EA in general is well published, but Nintendo's utterly worthless implementation of online multiplayer is screwing them, and hence their consumers, completely. The way friend codes have to be used to even get two people together is ludicrous, because Nintendo has gone SO far into the realm of keeping the kiddies safe that the service is literally unusable.

I'm sure that EA will retain the non-online multiplayer aspect. But come on, being able to play with other people not in the same room would be able to connect you to your friends at other schools/cities. I never actually got to play in a rock band showdown. But the idea of competition in this game or any game would greatly improve the depth of the experience.

Ever played Medal of Honor: Heroes on the wii?

It's by EA. Its online is done through EA, not through Nintendo. It uses usernames and friend requests. It's a thing a beauty, a refreshing breath of air from beneath the burden of friend codes.

EA has the infrastructure for Wii multiplayer done right. They're just not using it for Rock Band. A shame, I say.

Equally shameful is not supporting the GH3 controller. Cmon, I know there have been lawsuits about RB and GH not getting along, but consumers shouldn't have to buy two guitar controllers with the same inputs in the same places for the two games.

Executive 1: "Oh, we're putting this out on the Wii?"

Executive 2: "Yeah. I guess so. But it's going on the Wii you know? Let's make it just like the PS2 version, they will never notice. That's what most of the other 3rd party developers do on Wii, as opposed to the quality games being released on 360. I swear, if it wasn't for Nintendo's excellent first party games and some love from Capcom the Wii console would be screwed."

Executive 1: "I bet they wouldn't notice the lack of online either...he he. After all, we need that budget money for our next shitty Madden game."

Executive 2: "Scrap it. Nintendo won't mind as long as we make the graphics overly simplistic so the brain-dead majority will like the game too."

Executive 1: "Nah, just copy the PS2's graphics and give it wide-screen support". I'll let the team know immediately. This will be an excellent opportunity. Man I love screwing over Wii fans."

Executive 2: "Me too. Let's go out for a drink."

Ok, missing downloadable songs sucks A LOT, but I for one at not interested in the least with playing with other people online.

Half the fun of the game is making up awesome rock poses with your friends, and online doesn't convey that at all. Are you guys honestly that pissed about not being able to play online?

I'll just be playing with people in the same room, and if that means I have to get an "expansion pack" or whatever they plan to do for additional songs, then so be it I guess. Not ideal, but it's ok.

Well that's bullshit, specially considering how well done (for being a wii game) the online aspect of MOH for Wii is done.

I don't think it's entirely EA's fault as certainly nintendo's stubbornness about delivering a decent online experience and a good online platform for the developers had a lot to do with it.

I'd rather save, get an xbox360+rock band.

I'll just be playing with people in the same room, and if that means I have to get an "expansion pack" or whatever they plan to do for additional songs, then so be it I guess. Not ideal, but it's ok.

You seem to be missing the point. By all indications thus far, no downloadable content means NO expansions whatsoever. Your next chance for more songs will be Rock Band 2.

This "no-online" thing just pisses me off, but less because of EA's prior gold in MOH:H and more because of Harmonix's prior gold in just about everything they do. I could expect this crap from Red Octane and Activision continuing the GH franchise, but come on, Harmonix!

Downloadable content on the Wii is a bit difficult, considering the Wii lacks a built-in hard drive, and SD cards don't really have the space to support DLC. I can understand lacking that.

Lack of online multiplayer is a drag, though. :-( And I was actually interested in the Wii version. Oh well, maybe EA and Harmonix will wise up and release a PC port.

I would buy a 360 just for Rock Band if I could afford it. This just makes me sad that there's no DLC for the Wii. Also, you guys should note that his comments suggest no support for the GH3 Wii guitar and isn't definite (from this article at least.)

I would buy a 360 just for Rock Band if I could afford it. This just makes me sad that there's no DLC for the Wii. Also, you guys should note that his comments suggest no support for the GH3 Wii guitar and isn't definite (from this article at least.)

"However, because the Wii's online capabilities and potential have yet to be fully realized, we wanted to wait before we explored online functionality for Rock Band to ensure that players get the high-quality of online performance they've come to expect."

Losing DLC is the real tragedy here. The real multiplayer fun for Rock Band is local. Always has been.

It seems strange to me that Harmonix/EA would actually choose to gimp the Wii version's online capabilities, especially given how the Wii seems to be outselling everything. That's a huge audience to lose. I know Harmonix/EA probably could make it happen if they wanted to sink the money into it. If Nintendo's online system wasn't so pathetic, I don't think this problem would have come up.

I feel really sorry for you Wii-exclusive folk. You really don't want to miss the DLC for Rock Band. There are more downloadable songs than tracks on the disc. There's a Boston 6-pack tomorrow. :(