*NO* Unreal 'Chasing the Skaarj'

djpretzel

Can anyone more familiar with the original than myself fill us in? -djp

Please accept this donation; I think it should do more than just rot on my hard drive.

Song Title: Chasing the Skaarj

Author: DJ Contrast (Kevin Conner)

Game: Unreal

Platform: PC

Producers: Epic Megagames

Original Author: Alexander Brandon

Original Title: 'Surfacing' and 'Dusk Horizon'

Genre: Hardcore (electronic)

Length: 3:02

Bitrate: 192kbps

The song can be found here:

Put this in the description if you like:

I wrote this sucker with the intention of putting it in a UT2003 racing mod that I got too busy to continue developing, and so it's now just a freestanding hardcore remix of two songs from original Unreal. The title is derived from the racing pace of the song and from the bad guys of the single player game, the Skaarj. The original songs are both by Alexander Brandon. One is called Surfacing, and is played when you arrive at the Nali city in the sky. The two main riffs are taken from that piece. One of the other riffs is taken from Dusk Horizon, which is played after leaving the prison ship when you're forced to fight for the first time. Another of the riffs is from some song from either Descent or Descent II, whose author I don't know. I just had the song in my head at the time and had to get it out somehow, and the riff fit in nicely.

Thanks for running your site, it's awesome!

-DJ Contrast

I have never played Unreal let alone heard the original. Either way, this mix sounds pretty cool in some parts. I like the part from 1:37 to about 2:05 where that übersynth takes the stage. The arrangement itself isn't too repetitive, but it still has its share of minor stagnancy. However, the more I listen to this mix, the more I grow to like it. It's good enough to post regardless of its minor problems.

YES

It seems to me that when he said "riffs," he actually meant "melodies." However, I can't be sure about that, because I don't remember the music from Unreal at all.

I must say that the default FL sounds REALLY kill this one for me. All of the drums, the bass, and more are some of the samples that are initially packaged with FL since the release of 2.7, I believe. And that was about two years ago... :(

This thing is SCREAMING for some better EQ work, too. It sounds pretty lifeless and-- er, I'll continue when I get home.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...