8.5 gigs of free samples

tgfoo

Bluefox have you actually used a sampler plugin before?

Are you kidding? Modplug never had that stuff, I had to cut/trim/crop/whatever and then set up the loop points and attack envelopes myself, and tune it manually against a 523.251Hz sinewave! (Modplug only liked to tune against C5 instead of A4 440Hz or something stupid)

... that would be a 'no' but with snow uphill both ways.

I guess I'm saying don't link to things when you don't really have any idea how to use them, or what even goes into making them usable. You have to map those IMIS samples yourself, which I don't think most people here know how to do, and they're FLAC, which is idiotic since most samplers don't support that and you'd have to convert them all back to WAV manually. Not worth it IMO.

You have to map those IMIS samples yourself, which I don't think most people here know how to do

No kidding. I did that with modplug, it's such a pain, as I explained.

and they're FLAC, which is idiotic since most samplers don't support that and you'd have to convert them all back to WAV manually. Not worth it IMO.

The main set used to be WAV but now FLAC. You can drop the whole directory on a mass-converter. FLACDrop will run through the whole directory and output a directory of WAVs if you drag it onto it IIRC. Remember flute and piano and other clean instruments compress like 3:1 or better in FLAC too; I used to get 5:1 on a lot of Uematsu's orchestral pieces, contrast typical 2:1. It's a transport issue... you should be able to appreciate what would happen if (for instance) every MP3 on OCR was 5 times bigger right?

http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php

(mind you, I don't do any work; I'm too lazy to use flacdrop, I'd write a script in bash or in cygwin in windows, probably 1 line... 'find . -name \*.flac -exec flac -d {} \;' and let it do the work for me; but that's a little advanced)

I guess I'm saying don't link to things when you don't really have any idea how to use them, or what even goes into making them usable. You have to map those IMIS samples yourself, which I don't think most people here know how to do, and they're FLAC, which is idiotic since most samplers don't support that and you'd have to convert them all back to WAV manually. Not worth it IMO.

I dunno, if they sound really, really good they might be worth the trouble (for those of us who have no money to purchase actual sample libraries :-D ). If I get the time, I'll go through some of them and throw together an NN-XT patch if they seem worth using.

Speaking of uncompiled samples, there's a whole lot of cool stuff at the Sound Exchange, but the download procedure is unbelievably inconvenient -- you have to download each individual sample separately. It's a shame, because there's a lot of stuff there that would be useful if it were easily usable.

• 3 months later...