pixietricks WINS OurStage March finals: zircon in 3rd, sgx in 4th! Thanks all :D

zircon

OurStage (www.ourstage.com) is a website which sponsors a monthly music and video competition. Every month, they give away tens of thousands of dollars in prizes to the best entries in a number of categories. Various musicians from OCR, such as myself, pixietricks, and sgx have participated, and it looks like one of the most promising ways for good music to get discovered - a very democratic, fan-driven system for separating the wheat from the chaff.

UPDATE: 3/31/08 - sgx, myself, and pixietricks are in the FINALS. We topped our respective genre categories and are now competing for the grand prize with a handful of other people! VOTING ENDS at 11:59pm EST tonight (Monday)....

The songs that made it:

* zircon - Breathing You In

* Jill - Hajime

* sgx - Coactive (Over My Shoulder Mix)

Thousands of songs were entered... a tiny fraction of those remain.

"So, what can I do to help y'all?"

OurStage is based on a system where anyone can judge. That's right, YOU TOO can be a judge!!!!!1 All you have to do is register for the site, which takes all of 10 seconds, select a category, and judge away. You're presented with two songs at once, and you have to listen to at least 15 seconds of each. I recommend listening to more, of course, to really get an idea of what the song is all about. Once you've listened to a song once, if it comes up in another round of judging (you can judge a LOT of song pairs) you don't have to listen to it at all again, if you don't want to. You then choose which of the two songs in your song pair you prefer more. That's it.

Here's the link to where you can judge: http://www.ourstage.com/judge

We'd really appreciate your votes for our tracks - remember, the songs are cycled randomly, so you can't simply go to ours immediately, but once you get started it's actually really fun. I've judged hundreds of song pairs so far. You get hooked pretty quick.

Can't decide which OC ReMixer you want to win? - If two of our songs are matched up against each other, just judge them "Same" ;)

BUT WAIT, there's more!

Normally I wouldn't post about this kind of thing, but there's actually another contest going on right now. Any artist who adds at least 20 new fans (on Ourstage) will be submitted to AOL for consideration for future promotion, as well as promotion in Ourstage's own announcements.

Becoming a fan on Ourstage is DEAD easy. It doesn't mean that you'll suddenly start getting spammed by us via email. It's just a mechanic on Ourstage, specifically, so you really have nothing to lose. Simply go to our individual artist pages, and hit the "Become a Fan" button, towards the right. That's it. You're done. Here are the links:

http://www.ourstage.com/fanclub/zircon

http://www.ourstage.com/fanclub/jilliangoldin

"wuts in it for me tho"

Besides our love and gratitude?! Well, we're going to select one random person who signed up as a fan of ours and give them one CD from each of us. So, you can pick from any of mine, AND you get Jill's new album when that comes out. But you gotta become a fan of each of ours. Feel free to post here once you've done so, as it will help us figure out who signed up from OCR and who signed up somewhere else (not that we're posting this offer anywhere else - just for OCR peeps)

--

sgx has provided his own incentive as well:

I don't expect to win the grand prize, but if I win the channel (which gets me a $100 credit gift card and a wowowow T-shirt) I will either give 5 people who become my friend and post a comment on my profile saying you voted for me a $10 coupon for my my music store or, if a LOT of people do it, I'll give $5 coupons to 10 people. $5 is enough to buy digital versions of my new album and several of my older ones, so its free music for you, and you have a pretty good chance of winning it I think. Also, very soon I will be selling music from other artists in my store, so it will work for that too.

--

And hey, to all you other OCR artists. Do you write original music? You should enter the OurStage contest too! You can do it every month, it's FREE, and you can enter in as many categories as you want (though you can only do two songs per category per month, and don't submit things that are off-topic.) It's a lot of fun to not only watch your songs' progress but also to judge other music and help promote the music which YOU like. I've already discovered a bunch of great artists just by judging, and you can even download some of the full-length MP3s for free!

I am Kanthos. I endorse the return of pixietricks' forum so I can get my daily dose of knowledge of what she had for breakfast. It's official!

I will also go judge or become a fan or whatever newfangled nonsense you youngsters are asking for.

I am (insert new handle here). I has become fans for free music. Oh, and because I heart zircon and pixie...maybe.

Edit for the butchered English impaired: I am Falchion39. I have become a fan of zircon and pixie because I genuinely love their music.

I tried to do this for my friend's video...it's an outright bitch. Maybe there's less music on the site than movies, but the odds of landing on the one's you're looking for is outlandish

Not in the quarterfinals. There are only twenty songs per category, and since once you listen to 15 seconds of a song you never have to listen again, it's really easy to get to songs you're looking for.

But the "Become a Fan" thing is what we're really looking for here :3 Only one person so far did this and it wasn't anyone who even posted here :(

Not in the quarterfinals. There are only twenty songs per category, and since once you listen to 15 seconds of a song you never have to listen again, it's really easy to get to songs you're looking for.

But the "Become a Fan" thing is what we're really looking for here :3 Only one person so far did this and it wasn't anyone who even posted here :(

Zircon hates me. D: And if my internet didn't suck at the moment I would be trying to vote on your music but I can't even get the pages to load.

Edit: Aha, found your music. Voting now...