pixietricks WINS OurStage March finals: zircon in 3rd, sgx in 4th! Thanks all :D

zircon

sgx!!! I had no idea you were competing in Electronic in the quarter/semi-finals!! Jill and I will be voting for you for sure. Coactive is sick :) I'll edit the topic.

Thanks dood. I actually was having thoughts about getting the fans to vote and offering compensation for it yesterday, and then today I jump on OCR and see you started up a similar idea heh. Good thing we're in separate channels :).

I've got tracks lined up to compete for the electronic channel for a few months, so if I do win the channel this month, I'll probably be pushing for votes again this time next month. Next month I have the original Coactive competing.

If that is unacceptable to you, a simple "Thanks SotSS, you jack ass" will suffice, though preferably without the attitude.

Thanks SotSS, you kick ass.

If you don't want the credits, then I guess some other person will get yours :). That is, if I win. I'm gonna need votes again on Monday when it will hopefully be me vs some other newbsong.

Hey bro, sorry we had to be competing in the same category, but you ended up pretty high up there!! Way higher than any of my songs got last month. So definitely enter again - you'll have my support :)

To everyone: THANK YOU for all the help! Now that we're in the finals, your votes have reset, so you can vote more. A LOT more, if you so choose (over 700 'battles' available). If I manage to win the grand prize, I will give everyone who became a fan any CD of mine, free of charge. You get to choose which.

Hey bro, sorry we had to be competing in the same category, but you ended up pretty high up there!! Way higher than any of my songs got last month. So definitely enter again - you'll have my support :)

To everyone: THANK YOU for all the help! Now that we're in the finals, your votes have reset, so you can vote more. A LOT more, if you so choose (over 700 'battles' available). If I manage to win the grand prize, I will give everyone who became a fan any CD of mine, free of charge. You get to choose which.

No problem Zircon. Its cool! Hey SGX Congrats!

Yeah, I'd have to second you keeping it at; Feelings of Freedom is an awesome track and definitely pulled some votes away from zircon's work :>

Thanks dude! Glad you liked it!

I liked your track too, PhiJayy! Had no idea you were actually on the boards here as well.

If I manage to win the grand prize, I will give everyone who became a fan any CD of mine, free of charge. You get to choose which.

Same offer stands with me - if I win with "Hajime," all you new fans will get a free copy of Origins when it comes out April 22nd!

Looks to me like Jill's running away with it.

Also: My friends ended up 26th in the CMF 2008 movie category out of 128 entries. That's pretty impressive seeing as the top 10 is people doing stop motion and with professional camera equipment when we filmed the whole thing in a day, with whatever crappy DV camera we had, and editted it in a matter of hours with iMoveHD, lol.

Looks to me like Jill's running away with it.

Also: My friends ended up 26th in the CMF 2008 movie category out of 128 entries. That's pretty impressive seeing as the top 10 is people doing stop motion and with professional camera equipment when we filmed the whole thing in a day, with whatever crappy DV camera we had, and editted it in a matter of hours with iMoveHD, lol.

As of now she's in 12th place. sgx is in 4th and zircon is in 14th. The standings are still volatile though, I watched sgx go form 8th to 4th in about 30 minutes.

Why not encourage people to enter and get recognized instead of urging them to vote for you? Maybe it's just me, but I see asking your friends to vote for you in this type of competition as a form of cheating.

I can understand why you might come to that conclusion not being familiar with the site, but that actually couldn't be further from the truth. (And we have been encouraging people to get recognized with their own music as well. Perhaps you didn't read the first post thoroughly.) OurStage is all about fan support. In fact, they send competitors frequent emails encouraging them to get new fans to sign up and vote. Here are some samples from those emails:

------

"A little encouragement can go a long way Now’s the time to make sure your fans are doing all they can for you. To help facilitate the possibility of you moving up a notch, we’ve included a sample email you can send out to your fans, or post as a bulletin, or have tattooed on your forehead. However you use it, it’s there to encourage your fans to register for OurStage if they haven’t already done so, and to come back and vote again for next round."

------

"Most of you, I suspect, have fans who are not connected to you by DNA or marriage. As much as you depend on your fans, we here at OurStage also need their involvement to see us on to bigger pastures. So here's a special opportunity, offered exclusively to our esteemed quarter finalists. Between now and the end of March, any artist who adds 20 or more new fans into your fan club will be automatically submitted to AOL for promotional consideration (musicians only), not to mention a passage in our beloved newsletters and other promotional announcements.

The best way for you to earn the honor is to tell ALL your friends and devoted fans who are not on OurStage to register for OurStage ASAP and join your fan club."

------

"Notify everyone you’re going for one of these performance slots, ask them to join the fun and judge all content fairly. Our system randomizes all entries, meaning that fans have no way of knowing or controlling who they vote for. This keeps OurStage from becoming a crappy little monthly dustup, instead of the film & music discovery venue that it is, where great artists get a stab at fame without having to kiss unfamiliar buttocks or sleep with people they’d rather just do deals with."

------

Etc etc. I think you get the idea. ^-^ Thanks for your support, everyone!

As of now she's in 12th place. sgx is in 4th and zircon is in 14th. The standings are still volatile though, I watched sgx go form 8th to 4th in about 30 minutes.

Well, I meant amongst the OCR people, I didn't notice the SGX thing :o

And yea, the voting changes pretty drastically. I figure because your actual entry gets voted on so infrequently. When the competition first started for the CMF thing it wasn't uncommon to watch videos make a 20-40 place jump, but it got a little more stable later on.

I can understand why you might come to that conclusion not being familiar with the site, but that actually couldn't be further from the truth. (And we have been encouraging people to get recognized with their own music as well. Perhaps you didn't read the first post thoroughly.) OurStage is all about fan support. In fact, they send competitors frequent emails encouraging them to get new fans to sign up and vote. Here are some samples from those emails:

------

"A little encouragement can go a long way Now’s the time to make sure your fans are doing all they can for you. To help facilitate the possibility of you moving up a notch, we’ve included a sample email you can send out to your fans, or post as a bulletin, or have tattooed on your forehead. However you use it, it’s there to encourage your fans to register for OurStage if they haven’t already done so, and to come back and vote again for next round."

------

"Most of you, I suspect, have fans who are not connected to you by DNA or marriage. As much as you depend on your fans, we here at OurStage also need their involvement to see us on to bigger pastures. So here's a special opportunity, offered exclusively to our esteemed quarter finalists. Between now and the end of March, any artist who adds 20 or more new fans into your fan club will be automatically submitted to AOL for promotional consideration (musicians only), not to mention a passage in our beloved newsletters and other promotional announcements.

The best way for you to earn the honor is to tell ALL your friends and devoted fans who are not on OurStage to register for OurStage ASAP and join your fan club."

------

"Notify everyone you’re going for one of these performance slots, ask them to join the fun and judge all content fairly. Our system randomizes all entries, meaning that fans have no way of knowing or controlling who they vote for. This keeps OurStage from becoming a crappy little monthly dustup, instead of the film & music discovery venue that it is, where great artists get a stab at fame without having to kiss unfamiliar buttocks or sleep with people they’d rather just do deals with."

------

Etc etc. I think you get the idea. ^-^ Thanks for your support, everyone!

So you're telling me that the people you invite are voting for you purely based on the content of your music and are not at all biased? I wouldn't believe that if you paid me to. I mean, I don't care how you get your votes, but for me personally, I'd feel very wrong asking my friends to vote for me. Just because the site encourages fair play doesn't mean there's any way to enforce it.

So you're telling me that the people you invite are voting for you purely based on the content of your music and are not at all biased? I wouldn't believe that if you paid me to. I mean, I don't care how you get your votes, but for me personally, I'd feel very wrong asking my friends to vote for me. Just because the site encourages fair play doesn't mean there's any way to enforce it.

If it weren't fair play to ask for people to rate your own music highly, you'd think they wouldn't phrase things like:

"Now’s the time to make sure your fans are doing all they can for you. To help facilitate the possibility of you moving up a notch..."

"The best way for you to earn the honor is to tell ALL your friends and devoted fans who are not on OurStage to register for OurStage ASAP and join your fan club."

And as they said, you really *can't* cheat in this system because all the rounds are randomized. You are forced to vote on all the songs presented to you - not just on those of zircon, sgx, or myself. I think you're reading too much into it.

It's probably a given that people who come to the site through personal invitation from an artist will vote for that person's songs. The value of that for OurStage is that by artists encouraging their friends and family to judge, more artists overall get more exposure. I've only had 30 minutes or so to judge, but I've listened to parts from a number of tracks. While I personally didn't like anything else enough to look into the artist more *so far*, a lot of people would. This is kind of similar to Last.FM's "Songs in your neighbourhood" playlist which, incidentally, has made a pair of artists about $60 total from me, which is pretty significant given that I'd never have discovered them otherwise.