pixietricks WINS OurStage March finals: zircon in 3rd, sgx in 4th! Thanks all :D

zircon

If it weren't fair play to ask for people to rate your own music highly, you'd think they wouldn't phrase things like:

"Now’s the time to make sure your fans are doing all they can for you. To help facilitate the possibility of you moving up a notch..."

"The best way for you to earn the honor is to tell ALL your friends and devoted fans who are not on OurStage to register for OurStage ASAP and join your fan club."

And as they said, you really *can't* cheat in this system because all the rounds are randomized. You are forced to vote on all the songs presented to you - not just on those of zircon, sgx, or myself. I think you're reading too much into it.

All I'm saying is, where's the personal growth factor when your friends are the ones boosting your ratings? I know that my buddies like my music, but the point is that I was strangers to vote for it, honestly.

Well, in an ideal world, all listeners would be completely objective, not biased for or against any genre, and without any kind of personal preference. They would vote based on a number of factors ranging from songwriting to arrangement, production, structure, performance, overall musicality, etc. However the world is not like that. When you open up any sort of voting or evaluation to the general public you get massive bias. And if nothing else, the only way to counter bias (eg. some people love country and will never vote for my techno song, simply because they hate techno) is with more bias :P

That said, the first round of OurStage is so random - there are usually 250+ entries per category - it's basically impossible to ask people to vote for you there. None of us asked anyone to vote for us in the first 25 or so days of the month; that was all random strangers, and even then we made it into the top 20 of our respective categories.

If you want strangers to vote on your music, Ourstage is one of the first places I have seen with a ranking system designed around it.

If one could choose the artist to be judged then one could repeatedly judge that artist higher and higher in the rankings and unfairly influence the outcome. We believe it's critically important that the OurStage rankings reflect the true wisdom of the community by being free of gaming. It is one of the most unique things about our site differentiating us from the scores of other sites that are unable to separate quality from the noise. So on OurStage the artists in each channel are presented at random - to prevent gaming, and to give every artist a fair shot to be compared to every other artist. We know it's different and we know it asks more of our community to do it this way but we believe the results are worth it. Thank you for being a part of our unique community.

I agree about that, Snapple. Like Kanthos said, OurStage is really about the exposure. I've only been on the site since February, and already I've made a lot of friends and fans there that have signed up on my mailing list and forum. Last month, I didn't do any of this posting on OCR - and I still won 4th in New Age/World. As Andy said: there are plenty of other people out there boosting our ratings, otherwise none of us would have even made it to the quarterfinals out of hundreds of submissions. :3

mattoco: I hit the limit at 630 rounds as well. Looks like they made a typo when they said there are 741 possibly battles, hehe.

Keep 'em coming, folks!

I liked your track too, PhiJayy! Had no idea you were actually on the boards here as well.!

Yeah. We've been here for awhile. Just haven't submitted a remix yet. I don't think we have. We're working on one right now.

I guess #4 in the Techno/Dance/Club on Ourstage isn't a bad position. Not too shabby.:smile:

We'll make it next time, with some new material. :wink:

Listen to Feelings of Freedom (Jayy)

Link: http://www.ourstage.com/music/channel/79-techno/WCAQIXRFGSJZ-feelings-of-freedom-jayy

I guess #4 in the Techno/Dance/Club on Ourstage isn't a bad position. Not too shabby.
Not bad at all. I remember liking your track a lot when I was judging in that channel.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through judging in the finals now.

edit: I'm at 666 / 741 battles judged, and it says that there are no more entries to judge. Somethin' seems fugged up.

jmr: Weird... for both mattoco and I, it limited us to 630 rounds. But you seem to have been allowed more, and both numbers are still significantly under the 741 available battles they seem to quote. :?

EDIT:

Okay, I think I know what's up. All of a sudden, they're letting me judge more rounds... but there's a new track in there: "High" by Pistol Day Parade! I bet they disqualified someone else and replaced them or something, so now there are more battles available.

EDIT #2:

You would probably pwn the metal category if you enter for next month, Snapple. Do you have originals?

All done in one sitting, 666 here too. :sleepdepriv:

Not sure I could handle that in one sitting. I've finished my voting and for what it's worth, I personally feel that Zircon and Pixie have two of the best songs on there, but it's not looking good for either of them to win it so far. Oh well, it says there's over 7 hours left so who knows; maybe things could change by then.

jmr: Weird... for both mattoco and I, it limited us to 630 rounds. But you seem to have been allowed more, and both numbers are still significantly under the 741 available battles they seem to quote. :?
I put what little knowledge I gained from my statistics course to use, and it seems 666 is the total number of possible matchups for a set of 37 songs. 741 is the number of possible pairs from a set of 39. So, unless they plan on adding two more songs, we're done voting.
Okay, I think I know what's up. All of a sudden, they're letting me judge more rounds... but there's a new track in there: "High" by Pistol Day Parade! I bet they disqualified someone else and replaced them or something, so now there are more battles available.
I noticed that too. I though it was weird for me to be 200+ battles in and seeing new songs for the first time.

666 is the correct number. There are 37 tracks, and each must be judged against every other track. Take each of the 37 tracks and multiply it by the 36 other tracks, and then divide that total by 2 because each comparison is done twice; you get 666.

Good luck to all three of you; I'm making my way through and will finish all 666 before the end of the day.

Might have something to do with being in the 99th percentile out of over 20,000 submissions. Having multiple tracks from this community in the top 37, let alone two in the top 10, is amazing.

Yeah well that depends on ones opinion. Not everyone has a community of peeps who are ready to jump at the gun at every request.

Put simply it really isn't unbelievable. :?